C-Mag

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 am

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:
So it's happening?
It is.
So are we expecting something like the Great Depression level or just maybe a swing back? Because honestly all of this market dropping is being blamed on Trump's "trade war" announcement and China firing back.
I don't think it is.................. but bring it on. I come from hardy, resourceful stock, I and my family will do fine.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am

My Tesla 360 short is certainly making Hay.

Not sure how greedy to get though.

Plan was to stick to it til August.

Not sure I will have the minerals for that long.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 am

nmoore63 wrote:My Tesla 360 short is certainly making Hay.

If you don't have a clear exit point, then cover now. Don't sit on a short position without well-defined exit points.

ssu

Post by ssu » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:28 am

C-Mag wrote:We need a rework of LEO training top to bottom, we have to change laws, we have to change police culture. Right now, all Police have to do is convince a jury or superiors that there was a reason why the Cop could fear for their lives and they can use deadly force.
I think it would be totally possible.

But of course, can fail too. Because just what you define to be the better "culture" and "professionalism" can have negative effects especially if they are defined more by ideological reasons and biased viewpoints than reality. Devil is in the details and prior history here gives a concrete example of this:

From the History of Policing in the United States:
By the 1950s, police professionalism was being widely touted as better way to improve police effectiveness and reform policing as an institution. O.W. Wilson set the standard for the professionalism movement when he published his book Police Administration, which quickly became a blueprint for professionalizing policing. Wilson argued for greater centralization of the police function, with an emphasis on military-style organization and discipline. Central themes for police administration were to become crime control and efficiency in achieving crime control. Closer supervision of police officers was recommended; foot patrols were replaced by motorized patrols, precinct houses were consolidated and more central police facilities constructed; and command functions were centralized in a headquarters staff.

Police professionalism, however, did not turn out to be the panacea Wilson had envisaged. Professionalism antagonized tensions between the police and the communities they served and created rancor and dissension within the departments themselves. The crime control tactics recommended by the professionalism movement, such as aggressive stop and frisk procedures, created widespread community resentment, particularly among young, minority males who were most frequently targeted. Police professionalism and the military model of policing became synonymous with police repression. Furthermore, as Walker points out "a half century of professionalization had created police departments that were vast bureaucracies, inward looking, isolated from the public, and defensive in the face of any criticism" (Walker 1996). In addition professionalization had done nothing to rectify racist and sexist hiring practices that had been in effect since police departments had been created in the 1830s.

Within police departments professionalization meant an emphasis on bureaucratic efficiency. Police administrators centralized authority, tightened the chain-of-command, tried to run their departments through the application of arcane, contradictory and often inapplicable rules. A highly authoritarian police bureaucracy not only isolated itself from the public, but from the very police officers whose conduct it was trying to control. By the mid-1960s police officers had responded with an aggressive and widespread police unionization campaign. Aided by court rulings more favorable to the organizing of public employees; fueled by resentment of the authoritarian organization of departments; and united in a common resistance to increasing charges of police brutality, corruption and other forms of misconduct, nearly every large-city police department had been unionized by the early 1970s. Police officers struck in New York City in 1971; in Baltimore in 1974 and in San Francisco in 1975. "Job actions" such as "blue flue" and work slowdowns (i.e. not writing tickets, making few arrests) were common in other cities.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:30 am

C-Mag wrote:
Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
It is.
So are we expecting something like the Great Depression level or just maybe a swing back? Because honestly all of this market dropping is being blamed on Trump's "trade war" announcement and China firing back.
I don't think it is.................. but bring it on. I come from hardy, resourceful stock, I and my family will do fine.
No, I don't know how bad this gets. I suspect another Depression-level event, as China takes global leadership from Washington.

It all depends on the government reaction, though. We could very well start WW3, just to avoid collapse. I don't think they're going to just fade away, and accept being wrong.

All I know for certain is that the next 2008 has begun, whatever that may lead to.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

If you don't have a clear exit point, then cover now. Don't sit on a short position without well-defined exit points.
I have a well defined exit point.

Its whether or not I just want to clear now, or stick to the plan.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:59 am

nmoore63 wrote:

In general, I am not a greedy investor.

Doubled my money. Should be good enough.

But again, the plan was to sell in August.
Shorts Expire in January.

Theory, as I've previously laid out here was two fold.

Tesla priced on bullshit fairy dust. Might be a good car and company, but was priced as the most dominate car maker on the planet. It clearly was not.

Second, was that I was confident the market would tank before the mid-terms to hurt Trump. Hence the August target.

Was confident the second item would trigger the cash crunch to Tesla. They cash situation was going make Tesla the bleeding edge on this downturn.

I still think the market will be lower on Nov 6 then it is now, but double money is double money. As I said, not a greedy investor.
But double money is double money.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:04 pm

nmoore63 wrote:

Then stick with your plan. That's not greed but fear.

Your exit points should be well-defined prices and other technical signals (really, just look at the s/r lines). Don't go by an arbitrary date.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 pm

My exit point is in 23 years, when I put that 401k to use as a retirement.

That and the super generous SS payments I’ll be collecting off the backs of those hard working millennials.
:P
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 pm

I suggest always move in portions when unsure.

You cash out 50% and you are playing on house money. You can always take up the position again if you feel good about it.

But always in portions when in a position of strength.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama