NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 pm

I don't trust any rumours, rumours is rumours, but with Lou Lamoriello, you don't get much for rumours out of the Leafs anymore, so these are the only rumours I got.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't trust any rumours, rumours is rumours, but with Lou Lamoriello, you don't get much for rumours out of the Leafs anymor, so these are the only rumours I got.
What? More rumors come out of Toronto than anywhere else, by a significant margin, Lamoriello just never gives them any oxygen, and doesn't talk about what he going to do before he does it. It's not like the media stopped peddling baseless rumors the second Lamariello arrived, in fact the cone of silence has only lead to increasing baseless speculation on their part, not less. Lamoriello is just smart and doesn't cave to media pressure to feed the rumor mill and so that speculation doesn't hurt the team like other GMs used to. The rumors are as plentiful as ever, they are just more inaccurate than ever, thanks to Lou.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:I don't trust any rumours, rumours is rumours, but with Lou Lamoriello, you don't get much for rumours out of the Leafs anymor, so these are the only rumours I got.
What? More rumors come out of Toronto than anywhere else, by a significant margin, Lamoriello just never gives them any oxygen, and doesn't talk about what he going to do before he does it. It's not like the media stopped peddling baseless rumors the second Lamariello arrived, in fact the cone of silence has only lead to increased speculation on their part, not less. Lamoriello is just smart and doesn't cave to media pressure to feed the rumor mill and so that speculation doesn't hurt the team like other GMs used to.
What Toronto rumours do you got? I mean, I don't credit the media just saying that every RHD in the NHL could be traded to Leafs at any moment, I need something juicier than that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:What Toronto rumours do you got? I mean, I don't credit the media just saying that every RHD in the NHL could be traded to Leafs at any moment, I need something juicier than that.
I am talking about the sheer volume of rumors, I am not referring to the quality of those rumors. The ratio of juicy rumors with meat on the bone is certainly down, thanks to the "cone", but the sheer volume of rumors is unassuaged by Lou's "Cone of Silence". The media would have nothing to talk about otherwise, and that doesn't sell.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Adrian Dater @adater

Nothing imminent on Duchene.
Solid chance he returns.
Sakic won't be bullied.
Enjoy your summer

2017-07-03, 10:21:58 PM
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:42 am

Avs and Leafs doing pretty good this offseason. Trading Drouin for Sergachev clearly makes the Canadiens off-season look good, GAR wise, don't be deceived though, Marc Bergevin is world class idiot and Canadiens aren't really much closer to winning now then they were before the offseason.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Adrian Dater @adater

Nothing imminent on Duchene.
Solid chance he returns.
Sakic won't be bullied.
Enjoy your summer

2017-07-03, 10:21:58 PM
I read that tweet, six days ago, of course I follow Adrian Dater, being an Avs fan and all. Dater thinks it's still 70-30 Duchene gets dealt, so "solid chance he returns" in this case is about 30% to him. AJ Haefele, who works with Dater for BSNAvalanche, is still 99-1 that Duchene gets dealt. I am significantly less optimistic than either of those Avs beat writers that the Avs make the Duchene trade, but it's encouraging to hear that they are so confident that he still gets moved despite what has transpired thus far. Obviously the inside sources are still fairly sure he's getting traded, but I don't have these sources to go off of, so I assume the worst.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 am

I'm more confident that the Avs will move Duchne than I am the Leafs will get a top 4D, because nobody looks like they are moving the D they have left, Vancouver just went and signed a bunch of UFA's, so I don't see them trading Tanev, I don't see Carolina is moving any of their young D, Anaheim has already lost Theodore, Minni has lost Scandella, Hamonic is moved already, I don't see any trading partners, short of putting Nylander on the block, which I don't think the Leafs are ready to do yet.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:54 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I'm more confident that the Avs will move Duchne than I am the Leafs will get a top 4D, because nobody looks like they are moving the D they have left, Vancouver just went and signed a bunch of UFA's, so I don't see them trading Tanev, I don't see Carolina is moving any of their young D, Anaheim has already lost Theodore, Minni has lost Scandella, Hamonic is moved already, I don't see any trading partners, short of putting Nylander on the block, which I don't think the Leafs are ready to do yet.
Yeah definitely more likely that the Avs move Duchene than you get that top 4 D-man you're looking for. If Lou can still somehow pull it off, that would be damn impressive.

Any chance Tavares bails on the Islanders? I would, if I were him. Seems like the media is speculating because they have nothing else to talk about though.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:00 am

I don't see it as up to Lou, I don't think any of the teams are looking to move any of the D that the Leafs would want, so can't make a deal until there is a team willing to move one of them.

I see Tavares doing a Stamkos, he could come back, but he'll take it right down to the wire.
Nec Aspera Terrent