HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Speaker to Animals

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:04 pm

There was a guy who did a podcast on the Revolution that was every bit as good as Dan could do.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Found it:

https://history-podcasts.com/two-cent-history

That was a great podcast.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:45 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Penner wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:There is zero need for Dan to do interview shows. There is way more stories out there worthy of being told. And he is a great storyteller.
-American Revolution
-Salem With Trials
-Inquisition
-Crusades---any of them
-Pizarro / Incas
-Fall of Constantinople
-Fall of the Roman Empire///not Republic
-Vietnam
-Feudal Japan
-Mongolian Invasion of Japan
-Attila the Hun
-Cuban Revolution
-French Revolution
-etc, etc, etc,
The only one that seems plausible, for a Dan's HH show, is a Fall of the Roman Empire episode and/or series.

Overall, I feel like Dan will not touch anything less than 100 years old. So, probably no Cuban Revolution. Probably no Vietnam either as well.
Why don't you think he'd do a series on the American Revolution or the Conquest of the Incas?
If I remember right he won't do a topic that many others and/or others were doing at the same time. Also, he seems to know next to nothing about those conquests and he tends to stick to the topics that he knows the best.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Penner wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:There is zero need for Dan to do interview shows. There is way more stories out there worthy of being told. And he is a great storyteller.
-American Revolution
-Salem With Trials
-Inquisition
-Crusades---any of them
-Pizarro / Incas
-Fall of Constantinople
-Fall of the Roman Empire///not Republic
-Vietnam
-Feudal Japan
-Mongolian Invasion of Japan
-Attila the Hun
-Cuban Revolution
-French Revolution
-etc, etc, etc,
The only one that seems plausible, for a Dan's HH show, is a Fall of the Roman Empire episode and/or series.

Overall, I feel like Dan will not touch anything less than 100 years old. So, probably no Cuban Revolution. Probably no Vietnam either as well.
Why don't you think he'd do a series on the American Revolution or the Conquest of the Incas?
You have a real hard on for this Inca conquest. Let me just pour cold water on it right now. Number one, most of the quipus the Incas made to keep account of the economy were destroyed by the spaniards. As a result there aren't enough sources for Dan to do a good show. Number 2, Atahualpa and Pizarro, are like a poor man's version of Cortes and Montezuma. Number 3, Bolleli just did a Conquest of mexico series, so if Dan did one it would look like he was just copying Bolleli. Do we really need to explain this in further detail?
Shikata ga nai

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 am

Feudal Japan would kill him. What makes people think he can just do a series on it and have time for other topics before the grim reaper comes?

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 am

heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
Penner wrote:

You have a real hard on for this Inca conquest. Let me just pour cold water on it right now. Number one, most of the quipus the Incas made to keep account of the economy were destroyed by the spaniards. As a result there aren't enough sources for Dan to do a good show. Number 2, Atahualpa and Pizarro, are like a poor man's version of Cortes and Montezuma. Number 3, Bolleli just did a Conquest of mexico series, so if Dan did one it would look like he was just copying Bolleli. Do we really need to explain this in further detail?
Its a cool story. And the Aztecs don't have shit on the Incas. Incas had a longer lasting larger Empire. And, no it doesn't mean HH is copying HOF b/c they both did something on the New World conquests. There are tons of interesting tidbits from the 1500s in that part of the world and Dan loves the "martian" approach to history. And that is about as close as you get to that analogy. There are more sources on this story than there are on Cyrus the Great. And didn't you just bitch about him not being a historian anyways so why would book material matter?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 am

Written language
Mathematics

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:29 am

The Aztecs took the math knowledge from the Mayans and technically the Mayans had the written language not them. And more than that the Inca Empire was larger and older and there is more to civilization than fucking math. Again conquering the Incas was a more difficult and significant accomplishment than conquering the Aztecs. And if anything it certainly wasn't the other way around. At best you could say they were about equal in significance but I don't think so. It should be evident by the territory, resources, and how long the Inca were around.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:33 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: Why don't you think he'd do a series on the American Revolution or the Conquest of the Incas?
Its a cool story. And the Aztecs don't have shit on the Incas. Incas had a longer lasting larger Empire. And, no it doesn't mean HH is copying HOF b/c they both did something on the New World conquests. There are tons of interesting tidbits from the 1500s in that part of the world and Dan loves the "martian" approach to history. And that is about as close as you get to that analogy. There are more sources on this story than there are on Cyrus the Great. And didn't you just bitch about him not being a historian anyways so why would book material matter?

No way. Cortes was playing in the NFL with Montezuma. Pizarro and Atahualpa were pop warner. A couple of second raters. The Incas just tied a bunch of rope knots and played around with beads and feathers all day. Not too dissimilar from my summer camp experience when I was in third grade really. If you think that has the makings of a good podcast, you should make it into one. I believe with your history teaching background you have way more academic credentials than Dan does anyway. I doubt Dan knows the difference between the Incas and Aztecs.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:32 am

heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

No way. Cortes was playing in the NFL with Montezuma. Pizarro and Atahualpa were pop warner. A couple of second raters. The Incas just tied a bunch of rope knots and played around with beads and feathers all day. Not too dissimilar from my summer camp experience when I was in third grade really. If you think that has the makings of a good podcast, you should make it into one. I believe with your history teaching background you have way more academic credentials than Dan does anyway. I doubt Dan knows the difference between the Incas and Aztecs.
Why are you hating on Dan's credentials? He has always refers to himself as an amateur historian. And there has been tons of good history from people that were not specifically trained in History at the PhD level.