The Chapel

TheReal_ND

Re: The Chapel

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Kath wrote:Agnostic is exactly like saying I don't know. With regards to is there/is there not a god, it's the only truly honest position, since neither of the other positions can be proven.

I mean, Kirk Cameron thinks a banana peel proves god, because it covers the banana so perfectly. His silliness aside, there is literally no proof on either side.

I don't have any qualms with that until you start claiming people that believe in a higher power are being dishonest. I mean sure, some people might lie to themselves and try to proselytize but other than that, my only real contempt is for fedora tipping atheists that think they have it all figured out.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Kath wrote:Agnostic is exactly like saying I don't know. With regards to is there/is there not a god, it's the only truly honest position, since neither of the other positions can be proven.

I mean, Kirk Cameron thinks a banana peel proves god, because it covers the banana so perfectly. His silliness aside, there is literally no proof on either side.
Choosing faith over agnosticism is not really a question of honesty or dishonesty. It is choosing to believe something is true and structuring your life around it, with the understanding that what you believe is outside of the domain of what science can prove.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:28 pm

de officiis wrote:

Choosing faith over agnosticism is not really a question of honesty or dishonesty. It is choosing to believe something is true and structuring your life around it, with the understanding that what you believe is outside of the domain of what science can prove.
Fair enough, but people rarely stop there. They keep going right into pushing their beliefs into "truth", and then making it their mission to force everyone else into their beliefs, for validation.

I'm an agnostic. I'll argue against either side, happily.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:45 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
de officiis wrote:

Fair enough, but people rarely stop there. They keep going right into pushing their beliefs into "truth", and then making it their mission to force everyone else into their beliefs, for validation.
Yes I know. If people are interested and want to learn, that's one thing. Telling people what they must believe? That's not my deal.

But don't get too annoyed. After all, we are bombarded every day by messages from people telling us what we must believe about all sorts of things. As long as people are willing to at least keep an open mind, I'm down with that. Healthy skepticism is a good thing for many aspects of our lives, religion included.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm

de officiis wrote:
I never said a thing about honest or not. I agree with you - we all must choose what works for us and not decide what works for other people.
Account abandoned.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:24 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
I don't have any qualms with that until you start claiming people that believe in a higher power are being dishonest. I mean sure, some people might lie to themselves and try to proselytize but other than that, my only real contempt is for fedora tipping atheists that think they have it all figured out.
I'm a recovering Catholic, dude. I'll never have shit figured out, nor will I ever claim to.
Account abandoned.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 am

de officiis wrote:Choosing faith over agnosticism is not really a question of honesty or dishonesty. It is choosing to believe something is true and structuring your life around it, with the understanding that what you believe is outside of the domain of what science can prove.
I like this...

I feel like I'm beginning to move beyond "I don't know" myself.

That's totally different than being able to prove something.

My "knowledge" is based on reading, listening to podcasts, exploring different wisdom traditions, personal experience and even hashing out ideas here on the forum... it's a knowledge I don't feel inclined to prove or disprove and probably couldn't if I tried.

I'm starting to feel that agnostic doesn't cut it any more and I am, as de officis puts it above, living my life according to this new belief system.

In a strange and subtle way, I am becoming a Theist... but not in any conventional religious way.... that I know of...

I guess this is yet a new kind of theism... a hybrid of theistic and non-theistic traditions that have been meeting over the past century...
But also it is a personal way of relating to reality.

I'm not interested in converting anyone to my way of thinking... I'm just struck by the process.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Lots of people in your predicament start yoga.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm

DeO is probably the only one on this forum that would have me consider what his faith has to say. The rest make me want to run away screaming.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 pm

DrYouth wrote:
de officiis wrote:Choosing faith over agnosticism is not really a question of honesty or dishonesty. It is choosing to believe something is true and structuring your life around it, with the understanding that what you believe is outside of the domain of what science can prove.
I like this...

I feel like I'm beginning to move beyond "I don't know" myself.

That's totally different than being able to prove something.

My "knowledge" is based on reading, listening to podcasts, exploring different wisdom traditions, personal experience and even hashing out ideas here on the forum... it's a knowledge I don't feel inclined to prove or disprove and probably couldn't if I tried.

I'm starting to feel that agnostic doesn't cut it any more and I am, as de officis puts it above, living my life according to this new belief system.

In a strange and subtle way, I am becoming a Theist... but not in any conventional religious way.... that I know of...

I guess this is yet a new kind of theism... a hybrid of theistic and non-theistic traditions that have been meeting over the past century...
But also it is a personal way of relating to reality.

I'm not interested in converting anyone to my way of thinking... I'm just struck by the process.
The closer we creep to death . . . .
:twisted:

I’m just messing with ya. I feel the same way.
Of course, I’m also creeping closer to death, so ...
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"