NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 am

SilverEagle wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Meh, I'm not worried, Shanahan is not deviating, they see the two year window, they know the third year has to be a reload anyways, so they are just taking some high risk/reward bets to see what they can do before a bunch of veterans are going to be moved out in any case, but they're not going off the plan here, they didn't trade a first round pick for Marleau.

Marleau is actually a good pro role model for the kids, he's not a loud mouth who is going to come in everyday and start yelling at people, but, good, because that's not what they need, this is Matthews teams, Marleau is just here in a supporting role.
no but it's still a waste of cap space. A two year $3 mill per year contract, I could understand that.
I don't see it as a waste, because I think he has game left, if he's overpaid, it's not by $3.25 million, the guy just put up four 82 game 20+ goal seasons with 27 goals last season, you can't get a 27 goal scorer on the open market, for $3 million, you could get one by trade maybe, but that would be a huge cost, teams don't give young players up who can score like that, for anything short of a first round pick, the advantage of Marleau, is that they get a legitimate top six 20+ goal scoring hall of fame veteran for the next two years, without having to trade anything to get one, the third year was the price to pay to get him out of San Jose, but the third year is beyond the window, so the risk there is minimal since that year is going to be a reload with younger cheaper kids year in any case.

If you're going to claim that the Leafs could have signed a 27 goal scorer with Marleau pedigree for 2 years at $3 million, you're totally full of shit, and therefore just more trolling, which; Zzzzzzzz, whatevs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:34 am

Fucking fake news, stop teasing me about Hanafin for Duchene. Ron Francis can't be as stupid as they are claiming he is.
:hand:
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:40 am

I don't see it happening, but I do hear that Joe is now trying to move Barrie and the Leafs are in on it, which, I'm kind of conflicted about, because I like Barrie, but I don't think he fits with Rielly or Gardiner, too much of the same type of player in the pairing, he could play with Rielly, but that's kind of just two Rielly's playing together, too weak in their own end.

Maybe if the Avs take Gardiner back in the deal and the Leafs move somebody else into the second LHD slot, but I don't see how Gardiner for Barrie changes much, other than moving a Gardiner to the right side.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:45 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't see it happening, but I do hear that Joe is now trying to move Barrie and the Leafs are in on it, which, I'm kind of conflicted about, because I like Barrie, but I don't think he fits with Rielly or Gardiner, too much of the same type of player in the pairing, he could play with Rielly, but that's kind of just two Rielly's playing together, too weak in their own end.

Maybe if the Avs take Gardiner back in the deal and the Leafs move somebody else into the second LHD slot, but I don't see how Gardiner for Barrie changes much, other than moving a Gardiner to the right side.
The fake news even says Francis is throwing in a first round pick on top of Hanafin, for Duchene, and they are waiting on the Avs response. Nice try fake news, no way Francis is that bad at this job, there is just no way. Too good to be true, and then some. They also say the Preds have offered Eckholm, Sissons and a 1st round pick and the Blue Jackets offered Jenner, Murray and a 1st round pick.

Way too good to be true. Why would Sakic not jump on these offers if any of them were actually on the table?
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 am

That's gotta be fake news, would sound more realistic if the Avs were throwing in two firsts on top of Duchene, because that's more like the market rate for a Hanafin these days.

Ekholm for Duchene also sounds like a stretch, again, more like Ekholm for Duchene plus a first and two seconds you mean.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:56 am

Smitty-48 wrote:That's gotta be fake news, would sound more realistic if the Avs were throwing in two firsts on top of Duchene, because that's more like the market rate for a Hanafin these days.
If the fake news is to be believed, the Canes are far from the only team to have lost their minds, but I highly doubt any offer is that good for Duchene. If any of those offers are actually on the table, Sakic would have jumped on them, he can't possibly overvalue Duchene so much as to not pull the trigger on those deals, don't buy that he's that bad at his job either, even Avalanche incompetence has it's limits.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am

I heard the Leafs might have been looking at Ekholm too, but if I'm David Poile, that's going to cost them a Kadri, and no way the Leafs are moving Kadri at $4.5 million for the next four years.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 am

Sorry, Kadri at $4.5 for the next five years... wow, that's turning out to be a great contract actually, he could easily be making Duchene money right now.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:06 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Sorry, Kadri at $4.5 for the next five years... wow, that's turning out to be a great contract actually, he could easily be making Duchene money right now.
If he keeps putting up numbers like he did last year, or close to it, that will turn into a steal indeed. Just two years ago that looked like a terrible deal, hurray for Babcock.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:07 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:That's gotta be fake news, would sound more realistic if the Avs were throwing in two firsts on top of Duchene, because that's more like the market rate for a Hanafin these days.
If the fake news is to be believed, the Canes are far from the only team to have lost their minds, but I highly doubt any offer is that good for Duchene. If any of those offers are actually on the table, Sakic would have jumped on them, he can't possibly overvalue Duchene so much as to not pull the trigger on those deals, don't buy that he's that bad at his job either, even Avalanche incompetence has it's limits.
Yeah, there's no way that either of those deals were on the table and Sakic didn't take them, Hanafin or Ekholm for Duchene? Done, in a heartbeat, Sakic is out of his depth maybe, but he's not retarded in the clinical sense.
Nec Aspera Terrent