NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:54 am

So throw the house money out the window on the off chance that a good samaritan returns it to you, good idea! Don't wisely wager the house money or anything, no that would just be too smart. You could have traded for some defensemen who need to be resigned in the year or two and spent on them, or any number of other wise things, but instead you signed Patrick Marleau.

Here are the new Leafs, same as the old Leafs. Just when you thought the culture had really changed, they make you say, not so fast, you might have jumped the gun. It's probably just an outlier, but you better hope this shit doesn't become a pattern.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 am

Again, I don't see it thrown out the window on Marleau, because I think he's still got game, elite level game, $6.25 million dollar game, even at 37-39, at 40, I'm less confident, but I see this as a two year window, the third year was going to be a makeover in any case, most of the veterans on this team will be gone by then in the natural order of things, so if they have to eat the Marleau contract for one year, no biggie.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Again, I don't see it thrown out the window on Marleau, because I think he's still got game, elite level game, $6.25 million dollar game, even at 37-38, at 39, I'm less cofident, but I see this as a two year window, the thrid year was going to be a makeover in any case, most of the veterans on this team will be gone by then in the natural order of things, so if they have to eat the Marleau contract for one year, no biggie.
There are better places to spend $6.25 million, pro tip, don't look at the UFA market, at least not this year.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 am

"Same old Leafs" is fake news trolling, old Leafs would have brought Marleau in to be a savior, but new Leafs don't need one, he's just being brought in complimentary, status quo not harmed, and staus quo still very good even if Marleau doesn't work out, so that's not old Leafs at all.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:02 am

Smitty-48 wrote:"Same old Leafs" is fake news trolling, old Leafs would have brought Marleau in to be a savior, but new Leafs don't need one, he's just being brought in complimentary, status quo not harmed, and staus quo still very good even if Marleau doesn't work out, so that's not old Leafs at all.
Old Leafs would sign Marleau, New Leafs signed Marleau. The role doesn't matter, Marleau can't win in either, just ask the Sharks. Old Leafs, same as the New Leafs, at least when it comes to this signing. Like I said, probably an outlier, but given their history as a franchise, I'd be worried they are falling back on old patterns, if I was you.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:03 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Again, I don't see it thrown out the window on Marleau, because I think he's still got game, elite level game, $6.25 million dollar game, even at 37-38, at 39, I'm less cofident, but I see this as a two year window, the thrid year was going to be a makeover in any case, most of the veterans on this team will be gone by then in the natural order of things, so if they have to eat the Marleau contract for one year, no biggie.
There are better places to spend $6.25 million, pro tip, don't look at the UFA market, at least not this year.
There aren't many places to spend the money over the next two years, that's fake news as well, trading reqiures giving up good young assets, it's actually the perfect time over the next two years, for the Leafs to blow some house money on high risk/reward bets.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:03 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:"Same old Leafs" is fake news trolling, old Leafs would have brought Marleau in to be a savior, but new Leafs don't need one, he's just being brought in complimentary, status quo not harmed, and staus quo still very good even if Marleau doesn't work out, so that's not old Leafs at all.
Old Leafs would sign Marleau, new Leafs would sign Marleau. The role doesn't matter, Marleau can't win in either, just ask the Sharks.
Stock Leaf hater trolling/Marleau hater bashing; meh, boring. /shrugs
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:05 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Old Leafs would sign Marleau, new Leafs would sign Marleau. The role doesn't matter, Marleau can't win in either, just ask the Sharks.
Stock Leaf hater trolling/Marleau hater bashing; meh, boring. /shrugs
It's probably just a momentary brain fart on the part of the brain trust, but like I said, I'd be worried this might be the start of falling back into old patterns, given franchise history and all, which would be a real shame. Hopefully Babcock and Lamariello can work their magic regardless of the anchor they just tied to themselves for three years.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 am

Meh, I'm not worried, Shanahan is not deviating, they see the two year window, they know the third year has to be a reload anyways, so they are just taking some high risk/reward bets to see what they can do before a bunch of veterans are going to be moved out in any case, but they're not going off the plan here, they didn't trade a first round pick for Marleau.

Marleau is actually a good pro role model for the kids, he's not a loud mouth who is going to come in everyday and start yelling at people, but, good, because that's not what they need, this is Matthews' team, Marleau is just here in a supporting role, just do it right every day, which he obviously does, putting up numbers and playing so many games as he does, for so many years and so consitently.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Meh, I'm not worried, Shanahan is not deviating, they see the two year window, they know the third year has to be a reload anyways, so they are just taking some high risk/reward bets to see what they can do before a bunch of veterans are going to be moved out in any case, but they're not going off the plan here, they didn't trade a first round pick for Marleau.

Marleau is actually a good pro role model for the kids, he's not a loud mouth who is going to come in everyday and start yelling at people, but, good, because that's not what they need, this is Matthews teams, Marleau is just here in a supporting role.
no but it's still a waste of cap space. A two year $3 mill per year contract, I could understand that.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi: