THE ERA OF TRUMP

Fife

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:41 am

I didn't change buddy.

Trump did. I'm not sure how he got the idea that this Florida shooting was a good way for him to pivot again, and this time against the hardest of his hard-core base. But its fucked up shit. I was in the break room earlier this morning, and the TV was, as always, on Faux News. They had some GOP shirts on there talking about how it's time to save the kids.

If you think I'm going to give Trump some kind of pass for fucking off on the 2nd A., guess again.

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:29 am

What are bump stocks? Why should I care/not care about their being banned/not banned? Is it a circus or a real thing that will help anything?
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 am

No serious shooter wants a bump stock. That's not the point.

It's just another political pry-point. The IRL effect of a ban of bump stocks will be about the same as our conversation's effect on the temperature on the far side of the Moon a million years from now.

The political effect, however, could be spectacular.

Trump's a self-imagined wheeler-dealer, with a really big beautiful brain. That's a lot different than a man of principle.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:42 am

Kath wrote:What are bump stocks? Why should I care/not care about their being banned/not banned? Is it a circus or a real thing that will help anything?
Depends whether you see it as the thin end of the wedge or a start to reasonable concessions.
Others may see it as a fairly meaningless attempt to gain popularity while failing to address the ''root cause''.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Fife wrote:I didn't change buddy.

Trump did.
You don't remember him pushing to no-fly list gun ban? Trump didn't change, you just finally caught on.
*yip*

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Kath wrote:What are bump stocks? Why should I care/not care about their being banned/not banned? Is it a circus or a real thing that will help anything?
Toys. Ban them, you have to ban cranks, rubber bands, belt loops. So this is a meaningless concession. It may satiate most of the emotional bannie babies for a time. I also hold out the possibility for some 3d underwater hungry hungry hippos. We are in the primary season heading to a general. Conservative base needs a pick me up, aint nothing like standing up to even a RINO POTUS for the 2A. All the while the dems have to look reasonable while placing a muzzle on their frothing base, something for which they have showed no inclination nor ability.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

For real real:

If full-auto is going to be heavily restricted and licensed, then I don't see how bump stocks should be exempt since they violate the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law (even there, I am not sure everybody agrees they are strictly legit according to the laws we have).

They are a circumvention of regulations on full-auto. We should at least be honest about that.

A ban on them is stupid for the same reason a ban on full-auto is stupid, and a ban on them would sail through without a huge backlash for the same reason most people don't care about full-auto regulations: full-auto sucks and who the fuck wants to pay for all the ammo anyway?

That said, I am willing to oppose them for the same reason I would like to oppose the full-auto regulations. But as long as we have those regulations, I think it's a VERY bad precedent to start rubber stamping circumventions of the spirit if not the letter of the law as it is written. The rule of law is important. If the law is garbage, then we need to work towards repealing it or striking it down on second amendment grounds (which I think are quite strong for most of these gun control laws).

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Fife wrote:No serious shooter wants a bump stock. That's not the point.

It's just another political pry-point. The IRL effect of a ban of bump stocks will be about the same as our conversation's effect on the temperature on the far side of the Moon a million years from now.

The political effect, however, could be spectacular.

Trump's a self-imagined wheeler-dealer, with a really big beautiful brain. That's a lot different than a man of principle.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 am

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Depends whether you see it as the thin end of the wedge or a start to reasonable concessions.
Others may see it as a fairly meaningless attempt to gain popularity while failing to address the ''root cause''.
You can do it with a fucking rubber band. You gonna outlaw those too?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751