HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Kazmyr

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by Kazmyr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 am

GloryofGreece wrote:[
So it didn't bother you he already covered a lot of the same issues in Logical Insanity and Logical Insanity "Extra"? I think it was well done but it wasn't my cup of tea topic wise. I don't like thinking about nuclear destruction too much. Why would I? But having a good fundamental understanding of the thinking behind its development is always interesting and helpful. Just don't want to fixate on for 6 hours or more.
I haven't done the "extra," but it's a topic that's incredibly fascinating, but one that I never personally dug deep into, outside of listening to Dan. That's probably why it had me riveted. YMMV.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

katarn

Post by katarn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan. Fuck off. Plus when was the last time Dan did something like Addicted to Bondage...o yea like 10 years ago. The list is good and more probable that obscure topics.
Prophets of Doom and The American Peril was 2013. (Imagine that, two shows in a year).
You're only proving my point that HH has moved away from me. I'm not interested in the ten thousandth retelling of a popular history subject. I can find that in a glossy magazine at the newsagent or switch on the History Channel.
So mt topic suggestion is awful to you. I can dig it. Good thing most listeners aren't you or the few cunts on here that love to shit on Dan since Trump ran for office.
Most listeners now might not be, but Dan built HH with nuance and new perspective, insights about topics less covered or well known. Recently, he has been mixing that methodology with narrative history on broader and better known topics, which has certainly changed the show and removed some value.

Of course, it is a trade-off, and other things are added by the changes, so it comes down to which kind you prefer. I like the middle stuff- those shows like Armageddon, Death Throes, Ostfront, etc that better combine the original style with narrative history. The early stuff like Alex v Hitler that is all style, and ones like Celtic Holocaust are still good, but not as appealing to me.

From your list I like the Cuban revolution. It doesn't get much attention from most people. The Spanish inquisition could be good too, but it would be a lot of mythbusting if the impressions people I know have of it are any indication.

A topic that Dan could do really well in the early-mid vein of his style is the story of El Cid in Spain. Little recognition outside of Spain, plenty of plot, and a great central character to revolve around- because Dan's best stuff is analyzing the people in situations.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:04 am

heydaralon wrote:I would be very surprised if Dan is actually doing the work for these podcasts anymore. He's probably using something like Coursehero or Sparknotes to generate content and then he literally just reads it the night before. That guy is a real lowlife sperm suck ass trick.
Seriously? F off, its not funny
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:12 am

The First Rule of Humor takes a fucking daily beating around here, Californee.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:37 am

Fife wrote:The First Rule of Humor takes a fucking daily beating around here, Californee.

Timing?

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Will it be 8 months until the next episode or will it be out by December? Will he release the supposed "Extra" episode for Blueprint? Fuck sake. Its been so long since that series ended I doubt he will now even though he said he would on the last episode. Plus if you go back to the original or first "extra" show its kind of cute or funny what Dan said in hindsight. He said that it was "too long" to release an episode every 3-4 months!...HAHAHA. Jeez i'd kill to have that release rate now or the past three years. He said in Extra Thor's Angels he'd release more Blitzs more Extras etc. in between episodes and he wanted to release something every month. Nope not by a long shot. I started listening in the Fall of 2013.

I was lucky b/c I could get all the stuff that came out over the past 7 years or so, but the past four years it seems like you wait over 6 months at least for an average wait time. So if he has 20 million downloads from an episode, how does he or other podcasters monetize that since you get them for free? Is Audible really paying him that much in sponsorship? Itunes does pay, right? And he does get advertisement revenue from Youtube b/c well he doesn't have a huge subscription there so how the hell does he make money? Especially releasing something 1 time a year. Daniele has a professor gig and Darryl has a full-time job as well so they might barely be breaking even with whatever sponsorship money they get probably pays for the cost of their websites and tech they use.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

katarn

Post by katarn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Will it be 8 months until the next episode or will it be out by December? Will he release the supposed "Extra" episode for Blueprint? Fuck sake. Its been so long since that series ended I doubt he will now even though he said he would on the last episode. Plus if you go back to the original or first "extra" show its kind of cute or funny what Dan said in hindsight. He said that it was "too long" to release an episode every 3-4 months!...HAHAHA. Jeez i'd kill to have that release rate now or the past three years. He said in Extra Thor's Angels he'd release more Blitzs more Extras etc. in between episodes and he wanted to release something every month. Nope not by a long shot. I started listening in the Fall of 2013.

I was lucky b/c I could get all the stuff that came out over the past 7 years or so, but the past four years it seems like you wait over 6 months at least for an average wait time. So if he has 20 million downloads from an episode, how does he or other podcasters monetize that since you get them for free? Is Audible really paying him that much in sponsorship? Itunes does pay, right? And he does get advertisement revenue from Youtube b/c well he doesn't have a huge subscription there so how the hell does he make money? Especially releasing something 1 time a year. Daniele has a professor gig and Darryl has a full-time job as well so they might barely be breaking even with whatever sponsorship money they get probably pays for the cost of their websites and tech they use.
Donations seem to be enough. He's been able to do it this long.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 pm

California wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I would be very surprised if Dan is actually doing the work for these podcasts anymore. He's probably using something like Coursehero or Sparknotes to generate content and then he literally just reads it the night before. That guy is a real lowlife sperm suck ass trick.
Seriously? F off, its not funny
The f word? Really dude? Did I insult you in any way? I know its the internet, but some talk is not acceptable anywhere. I wanted to have a serious dialogue, but when I see people throwing around insults I already know I've won the debate.

Dan is not a real historian. He should not be making money from History related material, because he has not earned the right to by mastering the discipline. Imagine if I never went to medical school, but I opened up a fly by night doctor's office and gave people my opinion on their medical problems while charging them money? Are you starting to get the picture? People who took my advice in lieu of a real MD would get hurt. I've been hurt by listening to Dan's podcast. Last summer I was looking to get an internship at the Zora Neale Hurston Historic House in a little town called Eatonville (One of the first black towns in the United States, perhaps you have heard of it). During the interview, I kept referencing Addicted to Bondage. Due to the numerous historical inaccuracies in Dan's podcast, I was laughed out of the room and came off like a real dumbshit. Much to my chagrin, the head of the local NAACP branch was there which blew my chances of interning there too! I wish this was the only time Dan played fast and loose with the facts, but it isn't. He hardly mentions Austria Hungary during Blueprint, and omits Berchtold and Hoetzendorf, even though they were crucial in starting WW1!

Dan also steals everything from books. He does not do real research. If he was poring over scrolls in the Vatican library, and translating them from Latin, or digging at a site in Cyprus, maybe I could get past the fact that he has no official historical qualifications. But quoting multiple pages from Victor Davis Hanson or whoever and then profiting from their legwork is downright disgraceful. Keep in mind, he is not giving any of these authors royalties from using their work to make a living. That's not quite as bad as outright plagarism, but its cutting quite close. I will not stand by and let Dan destroy the past. Some things should not be left to "fans of history."
Shikata ga nai

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:33 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:There is zero need for Dan to do interview shows. There is way more stories out there worthy of being told. And he is a great storyteller.
-American Revolution
-Salem With Trials
-Inquisition
-Crusades---any of them
-Pizarro / Incas
-Fall of Constantinople
-Fall of the Roman Empire///not Republic
-Vietnam
-Feudal Japan
-Mongolian Invasion of Japan
-Attila the Hun
-Cuban Revolution
-French Revolution
-etc, etc, etc,
The only one that seems plausible, for a Dan's HH show, is a Fall of the Roman Empire episode and/or series.

Overall, I feel like Dan will not touch anything less than 100 years old. So, probably no Cuban Revolution. Probably no Vietnam either as well.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Penner wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:There is zero need for Dan to do interview shows. There is way more stories out there worthy of being told. And he is a great storyteller.
-American Revolution
-Salem With Trials
-Inquisition
-Crusades---any of them
-Pizarro / Incas
-Fall of Constantinople
-Fall of the Roman Empire///not Republic
-Vietnam
-Feudal Japan
-Mongolian Invasion of Japan
-Attila the Hun
-Cuban Revolution
-French Revolution
-etc, etc, etc,
The only one that seems plausible, for a Dan's HH show, is a Fall of the Roman Empire episode and/or series.

Overall, I feel like Dan will not touch anything less than 100 years old. So, probably no Cuban Revolution. Probably no Vietnam either as well.
Why don't you think he'd do a series on the American Revolution or the Conquest of the Incas?
The good, the true, & the beautiful