The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:14 pm

apeman wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:You just have to learn to launch another rocket into orbit and rendezvous with the stricken craft. Make sure the rocket has an extra (empty) seat for him. Then learn how to use the EVA controls so he can exit one vehicle and enter the other.

I assume you have no docking port on the fucking thing, so he is going to have to space walk over to the new ship.

Be sure to look for any contracts regarding rendezvousing two ships in Kerbin orbit.
That seems . . . impossible.

Might have to cheat and watch a vid if it comes to that.

Once you learn how to do it, it's pretty easy. But, you really might benefit from watching somebody do it on youtube.

What's not easy is trying to rescue somebody lost in orbit around the star Kerbol. I can rescue people around planets and moons, just fine, but getting to a small object in deep space is really hard. I can't even reach the damned asteroids.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Here's my Europa Universalis IV highlights... The ones I remembered to take screenshots of anyways. Earliest to latest games.

On the eve of destruction, Byzantium turns the tide and pushes back the Turks.

No thanks Europe, we'll just keep this for ourselves. Jesus? Never heard of him.

The Polish-Lithuanian-Muscovite-Latvian-Estonian-Finnish-Swedish-Czech-Slovakian-Hungarian-Balkan-Greek-Turkish-Armenian-Kazakh-Sicilian-Neopolitan Commonwealth! Ummm, let's just call it The Commonwealth.

You can't just stop a crusade! I don't care if the consider themselves "Christian", they are heretics, and they will die!

Today we celebrate thanksgiving, where we give thanks to our forefathers, who murdered all the white-eyes and drove them back into the sea.

Mare Nostrum - Austria decided to stop being the Holy Roman Emperor, and take back what was theirs.

And a little bit more...

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:Ran into this fucker in Stellaris last night... One pirate ship with 2x my entire fleet's strength.
I am not sure how I am even supposed to win this game.
The victory conditions are a bit extreme, so at this point it's really more about having your own goals and winning conditions, and then surviving the crisis...

I haven't played too much, so I need to finish a game or die trying.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:23 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:Ran into this fucker in Stellaris last night... One pirate ship with 2x my entire fleet's strength.
I am not sure how I am even supposed to win this game.
The victory conditions are a bit extreme, so at this point it's really more about having your own goals and winning conditions, and then surviving the crisis...

I haven't played too much, so I need to finish a game or die trying.

But it seems like I don't have any chance of getting anywhere near as powerful as some of the other empires.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:59 pm

adwinistrator wrote:Here's my Europa Universalis IV highlights... The ones I remembered to take screenshots of anyways. Earliest to latest games.

Mare Nostrum - Austria decided to stop being the Holy Roman Emperor, and take back what was theirs.

And a little bit more...
lmao @ Scotland transplanted to Nova Scotia..

You have some real talent for the empire-building... I'm pretty good at all of the little state-management cheevos, but I never seem to expand to world conquest in time.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm

apeman wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:You just have to learn to launch another rocket into orbit and rendezvous with the stricken craft. Make sure the rocket has an extra (empty) seat for him. Then learn how to use the EVA controls so he can exit one vehicle and enter the other.

I assume you have no docking port on the fucking thing, so he is going to have to space walk over to the new ship.

Be sure to look for any contracts regarding rendezvousing two ships in Kerbin orbit.
That seems . . . impossible.

Might have to cheat and watch a vid if it comes to that.

Once you learn how to do it, it's pretty easy. But, you really might benefit from watching somebody do it on youtube.

What's not easy is trying to rescue somebody lost in orbit around the star Kerbol. I can rescue people around planets and moons, just fine, but getting to a small object in deep space is really hard. I can't even reach the damned asteroids.
Intercept and Rendevous is a key skill in KSP - probably the most important one. Scott Manley is the most well-known Kerbal expert on YouTube. He's a little long-winded, but excellent at teaching the skills. He's also absurdly good at the game, and building crazy-ass ships.

The basic version is to get into orbit (going the same direction), then plan a maneuver node to adjust when your path intersects the object you want to meet up with. You'll see a bunch of indicators when your orbital paths cross, showing Distance At Intercept, Relative Speed, etc. Just monkey the node around until you get it closer. Then repeat, and get it closer. Once you get a feel for how it all works, you can usually hit a target almost exactly.

You have 2 options for getting your Kerbalnaut back. 1 - Get within 5-10km, and spacewalk him over. Every kerbalnaut has a jetpack with a good fuel supply.
2 - Slow the thing down, and ride it to the ground. You can do this by remote-controlled craft, using the little Probe Core controllers mounted on a capsule. Or, you can fly up a Claw with little jet boosters mounted, grab ahold of it, and just push retrograde.

There's no time limit - in the vanilla game, your guys never run out of air or food, etc.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 am

I appreciate the detailed effort to help, still sounds like nonsense but less so.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:There's no time limit - in the vanilla game, your guys never run out of air or food, etc.
I actually liked the idea of his green meat bag trapped in orbit forever :twisted:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:26 am

apeman wrote:I appreciate the detailed effort to help, still sounds like nonsense but less so.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:There's no time limit - in the vanilla game, your guys never run out of air or food, etc.
I actually liked the idea of his green meat bag trapped in orbit forever :twisted:
LOL You'll never forget the first time you pull it off, though.

Remember, that for anything to be in a certain orbit (ie: the orbit he's in), it has to be moving at exactly that speed. If you go faster, you'll go higher.
So, you just have to launch an empty capsule to a tiny bit higher than his orbit, then circularize it into its own orbit. Make a tiny adjustment, and cross the streams. You'll see an intercept point where your paths cross. Put a maneuver node on that spot, and slow yourself to get closer to him.

Doesn't have to be exact, just within 10km or so, and reasonably close in speed. When you get there, switch your camera to the stranded guy with [ or ], and have him go for a walk. Hit J (I think) to activate the jet pack, and scoot over to the other ship.

That feeling when he's hanging there in the void, trying to hit a bullseye is... thrilling. :) You'll love it.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:27 am

OK, gonna try this.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:23 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:lmao @ Scotland transplanted to Nova Scotia..

You have some real talent for the empire-building... I'm pretty good at all of the little state-management cheevos, but I never seem to expand to world conquest in time.
For some reason, Scotland colonizes Nova Scotia fairly often in my games... Same with Brittany in the Caribbean.

EU4 eventually becomes a test of how much you want subject yourself to grinding micromanagement.

I've never done a world conquest, and probably never will. I've gotten close to being powerful enough 2/3 of the way through a game, but it becomes so tedious. You're always fighting a war in more than one direction, dealing with rebellions, keeping the perfect balance of constant 80%-99% overextension while coring.

Now Hearts of Iron 4, that's a different kind of game...

The sun will NEVER SET on The British Empire