Fake News

Speaker to Animals

Re: Fake News

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 am

Journalism is the source of the post-Enlightenment power structures of modernity. Enlightenment was the seizing of power from aristocracies by journalists.

It sounds crazy at first because nobody else I know of has framed it as such, but if you consider the historical record, it should be self-evidently true.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm

The middling classes seized power from the broken aristocracy. And the middling classes make up journalist. You have to be of a certain level of average to slightly above average intelligence to play with words for a living.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm
The middling classes seized power from the broken aristocracy. And the middling classes make up journalist. You have to be of a certain level of average to slightly above average intelligence to play with words for a living.
But it was not middlings as a whole. At least, insomuch as middlings worked towards the ends of modernity, they did so as a response to the propaganda and manipulation of what we now call "the media".

We lionize Thomas Paine in this country, but really should we? Ben Franklin goes on our money. Thomas Jefferson..

People who idolize the men connected to the media that took control often rail against the "Deep State". What do they think the deep state is??

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
But it was not middlings as a whole. At least, insomuch as middlings worked towards the ends of modernity, they did so as a response to the propaganda and manipulation of what we now call "the media".

We lionize Thomas Paine in this country, but really should we? Ben Franklin goes on our money. Thomas Jefferson..

People who idolize the men connected to the media that took control often rail against the "Deep State". What do they think the deep state is??
There's a case to be made that we shouldn't have rebelled against England in the first place? I mean there were tons of loyalist in the thirteen colonies. Most people didn't want to take part and sat on the sidelines as long as they could. Just like now. Agitators, protester,s demagogues etc. they need the printed word, imagery, media, etc. I mean what the hell was the Federalist Papers except a form of mass media propaganda for the so called "new" Constitution. The Declaration of Independence etc. can all be boiled down to that.

Right Wing dingbats /Americana boiler plate Republicans etc. rail against the Deep State just like the same folk were probably part of the so called Tea Party. There is no Deep State , there is only the State. The Authentic America (?) thread deals with a lot of my questioning of the true identity of America and her values.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:39 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:24 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:

There's a case to be made that we shouldn't have rebelled against England in the first place? I mean there were tons of loyalist in the thirteen colonies. Most people didn't want to take part and sat on the sidelines as long as they could. Just like now. Agitators, protester,s demagogues etc. they need the printed word, imagery, media, etc. I mean what the hell was the Federalist Papers except a form of mass media propaganda for the so called "new" Constitution. The Declaration of Independence etc. can all be boiled down to that.

Right Wing dingbats /Americana boiler plate Republicans etc. rail against the Deep State just like the same folk were probably part of the so called Tea Party. There is no Deep State , there is only the State. The Authentic America (?) thread deals with a lot of my questioning of the true identity of America and her values.

1) I did not say there existed no justification for revolution. I referred to the fact that it was the media, and those connected to it, who took control. It was a done deal when they illegitimately creat3d the present Constitution. Fife refers to this as the counter-revolution. But really it was the final seizing of power from the common folk who actually fought the war by people connected to the press.

The entire revolution was a media event in its day. The Declaration of Independence like a press release. The entire thing was fomented and encouraged by guys like Paine, Samuel Adams, and Benjamin Franklin. We today have an entire movement of libertarian and neocon retards who essentially organize their political ideas around post-revolution dueling propaganda (Federalist Papers).

I do not think most Americans realize how much the revolution and "counter-revolution" are connected to the media.

2) There certainly exists a Deep State separate from republican government spanning the bureaucracy, media, and affiliated contractors.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm

For me, Deep State simply represent the powers that can thwart the will of the people no matter who is in charge.

Why are the agricultural subsidies put in place decades ago to help family farms still in place now that 90+% benefit only huge corporations?

Why can no one cut the DoD's spending, no matter how many times we demonstrate the mind-boggling amount of fraud, waste and abuse that exists in that department?

Why is unchecked illegal immigration still a thing decades after both Republicans and Democrats have railed against the damage it does to American workers?

There are many issues where Americans of all stripes come together and agree "This shit is bad, we need to fix it", only to watch Democrats and Republicans both cycle through controlling he government and changing nothing.

That's deep state. The powers that exist and prevail in the face of united opposition from American citizens.
And that shit definitely DOES exist.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:44 am

I think the big change came when the media stopped seeing the public as the customer and instead started to sell their influence to advertisers and political parties. The ability to influence readers/viewers is the product now. The commercial and political advertisers are the customers.

Luckily the sheeple are starting to get it.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:48 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:44 am
I think the big change came when the media stopped seeing the public as the customer and instead started to sell their influence to advertisers and political parties. The ability to influence readers/viewers is the product now. The commercial and political advertisers are the customers.
That's when it turned into propaganda.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:08 am

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm
For me, Deep State simply represent the powers that can thwart the will of the people no matter who is in charge.

Why are the agricultural subsidies put in place decades ago to help family farms still in place now that 90+% benefit only huge corporations?

Why can no one cut the DoD's spending, no matter how many times we demonstrate the mind-boggling amount of fraud, waste and abuse that exists in that department?

Why is unchecked illegal immigration still a thing decades after both Republicans and Democrats have railed against the damage it does to American workers?

There are many issues where Americans of all stripes come together and agree "This shit is bad, we need to fix it", only to watch Democrats and Republicans both cycle through controlling he government and changing nothing.

That's deep state. The powers that exist and prevail in the face of united opposition from American citizens.
And that shit definitely DOES exist.
Tom Woods often uses a line I like: "No matter whom we vote for, we end up with John McCain."

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:06 pm