Another School Shooting

Hwen Hoshino

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:48 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Hey, Hell is full of individualists and libertarians. Make yourself at home.
Yeah i am sure heaven loves rigid ethno staters.
BjornP wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Any tribes looking great out there now?

Why wouldn't slavery be a feature? It was a feature of more advanced societies.

Why is nobody calling themselves tribe exactly in that case?

I never claimed civilization is milk and honey.
I find my own tribe to be pretty good. Why on Earth would slavery be a feature of modern day tribal society and sense of ethnic belonging? Do you imagine that we currently keep slaves in Europe, or something? :roll:

Didn't you make a sweeping statements of no slavery in all tribes trought history?

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Hey, Hell is full of individualists and libertarians. Make yourself at home.
BjornP wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Any tribes looking great out there now?

Why wouldn't slavery be a feature? It was a feature of more advanced societies.

Why is nobody calling themselves tribe exactly in that case?

I never claimed civilization is milk and honey.
I find my own tribe to be pretty good. Why on Earth would slavery be a feature of modern day tribal society and sense of ethnic belonging? Do you imagine that we currently keep slaves in Europe, or something? :roll:

Didn't you make a sweeping statements of no slavery in all tribes trought history?
No.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

BjornP wrote: Your tribe is who you feel loyalty and kinship to, who you feel beholden to sacrifice for - besides yourself and your own family. If that's Canadian, your tribe's Canadian. Ethnic identities on this side of the Atlantic and on your side of the Atlantic are different for obvious historical-cultural reasons, but you're as human as everyone else, and so as much a social animal as anyone else. Tribe is community, loyalty, kinship, an alliance of families. If those are sentiments you direct at being Canadian, then it should be obvious what tribe you are. Canadian is more of a tribal federation, technically, but as long as you have a shared identity that isn't simply judicial, what you have is a tribe.

You are not Spanish unless the Spanish of Spain consider you Spanish, not German unless Germans of Germany consider you German. You are Canadian with a Spanish, German, and Swiss ancestry. A Canadian or American with Danish ancestors, may count as "ethnically Danish" to other Americans or Canadian, but only to them, and not to Danes, just like your "Irish" North Americans are not Irish and your Poles not Poles. Not unless they keep alive their culture, language, customs and traditions. If not, they are simply Canadian or American. When they no longer live the life of their old culture, they are no longer part of the old culture. They're just the descendents of former members of tribesmembers. Who they are instead...? Not my business to figure out.
So Canadian it is...
But Canada is anything but a tribe from a kinship point of view.
Canada is among the most multiethnic collection of people under the banner of a state that there is.
Canada has been officially defined as multicultural since the 60s under Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
And yet this is what I identify most with...

This is a supertribe that includes Italian Canadians, Asian Canadians, Muslim Canadians, Indiginous Canadians...
And I am comfortable interacting with all of these groups. I have them in my workplace and in my friendgroup.
But as I have mentioned in other threads... my friends all relate as Canadians...
None of the groups I interact with speak patois or with a strong accent of any kind... except for the odd Aussi or Brit...
I have noticed some of these friends "code-switch" when interacting with their families and I always find that interesting...
My family spoke "Canadian" except when we were interacting with family from abroad.
Last edited by DrYouth on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Canada is not even a single nation, much less a coherent tribe.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Canada is not even a single nation, much less a coherent tribe.
We are definitely a nation...

We are definitely not a tribe.

Sure we have our two solitudes... three if you include Natives... but we are a nation.

Disagreements, squabbles, unresolved disputes... but at no risk of going our separate ways currently...

From the look of it y'all are a little closer to coming apart then we are... although I am certain this forum is way overblowing the risk of anything like that happening in actuality.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:49 pm

You are, at best, three nations.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:

Spoiler alert in case you haven't read the book: God is an ethno-stater. :dance:

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Spoiler alert in case you haven't read the book: God is an ethno-stater. :dance:
Truth...

but his only son apparently wasn't...

Which is a paradox... go figure.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:55 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Spoiler alert in case you haven't read the book: God is an ethno-stater. :dance:
Truth...

but his only son apparently wasn't...

Which is a paradox... go figure.

Another spoiler alert: when you get to the end, it turns out his Son and the Father are the same.