HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

GloryofGreece

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 am

katarn wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:What was Dan's last official salaried position and when did he leave to pursue podcasting full-time? 2007?
I think 2005.
Do you know what his job was at that time?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 am

heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:There is zero need for Dan to do interview shows. There is way more stories out there worthy of being told. And he is a great storyteller.
-American Revolution
-Salem With Trials
-Inquisition
-Crusades---any of them
-Pizarro / Incas
-Fall of Constantinople
-Fall of the Roman Empire///not Republic
-Vietnam
-Feudal Japan
-Mongolian Invasion of Japan
-Attila the Hun
-Cuban Revolution
-French Revolution
-etc, etc, etc,
He already did fall of rome. Probably won't do any of those other topics. I'm not sure Dan has the skill to do any of those, though a three parter on the Missouri Compromise would be interesting, as a lot of pivotal things happened around that time.
That's an awful list of suggestions for Dan's HH. Most of those subjects are too broad and/or too well known to fit the format. Dan's best work is when he tackles clearly delimited subjects, preferably less known as well, like Apache Tears, Prophets of Doom, The American Peril or Logical Insanity or when he rambles on some subject we normally don't consider like Radical Thoughts, Addicted to Bondage, History Under the Influence or Guns and Horses. To hear a 40 hour retelling of the french revolution spread out over the next 5 years - No Thank You.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 am

I would like to hear a long HH audiobook on Moorish Architecture.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:43 am

Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:There is zero need for Dan to do interview shows. There is way more stories out there worthy of being told. And he is a great storyteller.
-American Revolution
-Salem With Trials
-Inquisition
-Crusades---any of them
-Pizarro / Incas
-Fall of Constantinople
-Fall of the Roman Empire///not Republic
-Vietnam
-Feudal Japan
-Mongolian Invasion of Japan
-Attila the Hun
-Cuban Revolution
-French Revolution
-etc, etc, etc,
He already did fall of rome. Probably won't do any of those other topics. I'm not sure Dan has the skill to do any of those, though a three parter on the Missouri Compromise would be interesting, as a lot of pivotal things happened around that time.
That's an awful list of suggestions for Dan's HH. Most of those subjects are too broad and/or too well known to fit the format. Dan's best work is when he tackles clearly delimited subjects, preferably less known as well, like Apache Tears, Prophets of Doom, The American Peril or Logical Insanity or when he rambles on some subject we normally don't consider like Radical Thoughts, Addicted to Bondage, History Under the Influence or Guns and Horses. To hear a 40 hour retelling of the french revolution spread out over the next 5 years - No Thank You.
Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan. Fuck off. Plus when was the last time Dan did something like Addicted to Bondage...o yea like 10 years ago. The list is good and more probable that obscure topics.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan. Fuck off. Plus when was the last time Dan did something like Addicted to Bondage...o yea like 10 years ago. The list is good and more probable that obscure topics.
I doubt Dan even know much about that stuff beyond a few names and dates. You can tell by his selection that he is well read on 2 or 3 broad topics and covers different facets of them. But he probably couldn't even tell you the King of France before the revolution. Bolleli is a little more in the know.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 am

Dan isn't even a historian, yet another box that HOF can check off.
Shikata ga nai

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 am

katarn wrote:
Was he really doing Mexico? When Daniele statrted his series, he mentioned that Dan had thought about doing it in the future and decided not to. On the HOF interview the impression I got was that Dan was working on something else entirely when he scraped it.
I thought so? Now you got me questioning my recollection of that podcast. I know Dan was vague about the subject matter because Bolleli's 1st episode of Conquest of Mexico hadn't been released yet, and didn't want to run the 'surprise' of it. But I remember coming out of that episode thinking that Bolelli had took over the topic because Dan had started it, but wasn't going to finish it anytime soon, so he let Bolleli have it.

Then again, I was driving to a brewfest so my mind was on other things. :drunk:
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 am

According to Danielle , Dan Carlin was doing the same topic when he mentioned it to him. He said they have a gentleman's agreement to give each other a head's up just for that purpose.

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 am

Also, just finished this episode.

I got super AMPED when Dan gave the intro of "take a piece of paper and write down everything you would be willing to die for."

By the end of the episode, Dan set the tone at the beginning and then completely left it at the starting line. There were portions of the episode that I found interesting, but on the whole, I walked away from this one feeling meh.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 am

GloryofGreece wrote: Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan.
It's been done. Check out Revolutions podcast. It's really not bad at all, either.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0