Social Justice Warriors Thread

de officiis

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by de officiis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Ending “White Heteromasculinism”: Professors Call For Less Reliance On White, Male, Heterosexual, and “Cisgendered” Academics
A new study has called for a concerted effort to cite academics of color and greater diversity to make from the hold of “white heteromasculism” on research. Geographers Carrie Mott (professor at Rutgers University) and Daniel Cockayne (professor at University of Waterloo in Ontario) has identified the reliance on research by white males as a “system of oppression” benefitting “white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered.” Cisgendered refers people whose gender identity matches their birth sex.

The two academic insist in an article in the journal Gender, Place and Culture that “This important research has drawn direct attention to the continued underrepresentation and marginalization of women, people of color. … To cite narrowly, to only cite white men … or to only cite established scholars, does a disservice not only to researchers and writers who are othered by white heteromasculinism.”

The 22-page paper, “Citation matters: mobilizing the politics of citation toward a practice of ‘conscientious engagement,'” argues that the use of straight white males for support only perpetuates their views and excludes alternative views. They said that their study was motivated by “shared feelings of discomfort, frustration, and anger” over actions of fellow scholars and publication practices in a white male-dominated system of peer review.
At the risk of seeming self-serving as an academic who is “white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered,” I find the publication by Mott and Cockayne to be deeply troubling and frankly anti-intellectual. I never consider (and often do not know the race or sexual orientation) of authors cited in my academic work. I am interested in their ideas and the depth of their analysis. That is the great pleasure of working in a field of intellectuals. We are thrilled by ideas, not identities. The article suggests that we should start to employ a type of selection process based on identity and race. That is precisely what so many fought against in academics as we broke down racial and gender barriers.

The suggestion that the value of academic work should now be measured in part by the identity or race or sexual orientation of the author is offensive to our intellectual mission and values. It shows how some academics are now introducing not just speech regulations but discriminatory practices into universities under the guise of diversity values. The touchstone of our academic life is the inherent worth of ideas in their own right. While we all strive for greater diversity of ideas and influences on our campuses, the citation of academic work must remain entirely based on the inherent quality of the underlying research and not the identity of the researcher.
We should all strenuously hope that the hard sciences proves to be the bulwark against all this idiotic thinking that has taken over academia.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:37 pm

or to only cite established scholars
:lol:
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:52 pm

We're never getting off this fucking rock

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 pm

The fighting is still contained to the arts and soft sciences, and they are fighting back a little more each day.

That article was talking about the value of people's views. That's your indicator for what they're talking about. Math and physics aren't viewpoints.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:The fighting is still contained to the arts and soft sciences, and they are fighting back a little more each day.

That article was talking about the value of people's views. That's your indicator for what they're talking about. Math and physics aren't viewpoints.
Easy for you to say, Captain White-Hetero-Man.

:snicker:
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Kazmyr wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:The fighting is still contained to the arts and soft sciences, and they are fighting back a little more each day.

Easy for you to say, Captain White-Hetero-Man.

:snicker:
And I'm the only white guy in all of my engineering classes, professors included. where's my reparations?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 pm

Oh you'll get some reparations when it's time to hire/fire or promote. Reparations for POC bitch boi.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 pm

de officiis wrote:Ending “White Heteromasculinism”: Professors Call For Less Reliance On White, Male, Heterosexual, and “Cisgendered” Academics
A new study has called for a concerted effort to cite academics of color and greater diversity to make from the hold of “white heteromasculism” on research. Geographers Carrie Mott (professor at Rutgers University) and Daniel Cockayne (professor at University of Waterloo in Ontario) has identified the reliance on research by white males as a “system of oppression” benefitting “white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered.” Cisgendered refers people whose gender identity matches their birth sex.

The two academic insist in an article in the journal Gender, Place and Culture that “This important research has drawn direct attention to the continued underrepresentation and marginalization of women, people of color. … To cite narrowly, to only cite white men … or to only cite established scholars, does a disservice not only to researchers and writers who are othered by white heteromasculinism.”

The 22-page paper, “Citation matters: mobilizing the politics of citation toward a practice of ‘conscientious engagement,'” argues that the use of straight white males for support only perpetuates their views and excludes alternative views. They said that their study was motivated by “shared feelings of discomfort, frustration, and anger” over actions of fellow scholars and publication practices in a white male-dominated system of peer review.
At the risk of seeming self-serving as an academic who is “white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered,” I find the publication by Mott and Cockayne to be deeply troubling and frankly anti-intellectual. I never consider (and often do not know the race or sexual orientation) of authors cited in my academic work. I am interested in their ideas and the depth of their analysis. That is the great pleasure of working in a field of intellectuals. We are thrilled by ideas, not identities. The article suggests that we should start to employ a type of selection process based on identity and race. That is precisely what so many fought against in academics as we broke down racial and gender barriers.

The suggestion that the value of academic work should now be measured in part by the identity or race or sexual orientation of the author is offensive to our intellectual mission and values. It shows how some academics are now introducing not just speech regulations but discriminatory practices into universities under the guise of diversity values. The touchstone of our academic life is the inherent worth of ideas in their own right. While we all strive for greater diversity of ideas and influences on our campuses, the citation of academic work must remain entirely based on the inherent quality of the underlying research and not the identity of the researcher.
We should all strenuously hope that the hard sciences proves to be the bulwark against all this idiotic thinking that has taken over academia.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 pm

It's definitely infecting the hard sciences. A lot of my old professors dropped off the radar from social media. They live in a kind of fear now. It's fucking scary.

I thought about finishing my PhD now that I am getting a handle on the chronic pain, but I definitely don't want a career in academia. I am not sure what to do with it at this point. Universities are not good places to be any longer. Get in and get out as fast as you can.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Oh you'll get some reparations when it's time to hire/fire or promote. Reparations for POC bitch boi.
Won't be long now, pull your pants down, bend over, and prepare for your reparations. Sorry, any form of lube is not allowed because you are a white cisgendered male.

Remember, as your reparations slam in, it's all in the name of fairness and "equality".