NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:44 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:With MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost already in the fold, Makar does more for you than Hischer or Patrick in any case.
Which is why it wasn't that shocking to hear talk of him possibly being the number one player on their draft board, period.
:dance:
Yeah, cause; elite puck moving RHD, certainly more valuable an asset than a Hischier, even if Hischier is closer to the league.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:With MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost already in the fold, Makar does more for you than Hischer or Patrick in any case.
Which is why it wasn't that shocking to hear talk of him possibly being the number one player on their draft board, period.
:dance:
Yeah, cause; elite puck moving RHD, certainly more valuable an asset than a Hischier, even if Hischier is closer to the league.
The Avs did a great job in general this draft, my only complaint is taking that Random Euro Overage Goalie when they could have drafted a better goalie prospect two rounds later, and of course letting Tolvanen and Kostin slip through our fingers, but we were far from alone on that front.

If that talented fifth round Russian kid ever decides to leave Russia, that will be a hell of a fifth round steal, fucking love that pick regardless of outcome, that shows the kind of balls in the draft that we've been lacking for years. Plus he's got a dope name, Igor Shvyryov. A high upside Russian dude named Igor who could turn out to be a found wallet? Sold. If there is chance to swing for the fences in the fifth round you take it, even if you could get nothing out of the pick, lottery tickets ftw.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm happy with Liljegren at 17, that was a steal, I'm bullish on Rasanen, too bad that "dummy" Ken Holland took Petruzzelli at 88, but I guess him falling to 110 was never in the cards.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I'm happy with Liljegren at 17, that was a steal, I'm bullish on Rasanen, too bad that "dummy" Ken Holland took Petruzzelli at 88, but I guess him falling to 110 was never in the cards.
The Avs would have taken Petruzelli at 94 if he had fallen that far, so yeah, that wasn't going to happen. Holland had a pretty bad draft considering how many picks he had, only Rasmussen and Petruzzelli stood out to me on that list, the rest seemed to be a bunch of low upside "safe" picks looking for the most NHL ready mid rounders, as opposed to the lottery ticket strategy, looking for a diamond in the rough. Detroit usually does much better, though they've started to slip a little of late in the scouting department.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Detroit takes a swedish defenseman named Lindstrom? Hockey Gods likey.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Detroit takes a swedish defenseman named Lindstrom? Hockey Gods likey.
Picking a player based on nostalgic name value alone? Probably a burned pick, not that I've seen this guy play or anything. How great would it be if he turned out to be dope though? That would be the hockey gods at their finest, lulz. Maybe the sheer volume of draft picks will make this drafy look better in hindsight if just one or two random dudes turn out to be good, it's a crap shoot in the later rounds after all. Detroit does seem to have cache with the Hockey Gods, though less so lately.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:40 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Detroit takes a swedish defenseman named Lindstrom? Hockey Gods likey.
Picking a player based on nostalgic name value alone? Probably a burned pick, not that I've seen this guy play or anything. How great would it be if he turned out to be dope though? That would be the hockey gods at their finest, lulz. Maybe the sheer volume of draft picks will make this drafy look better in hindsight if just one or two random dudes turn out to be good. Detroit does seem to have cache with the Hockey Gods, though less so lately.
Their Swedish scout is Hakan Andersson, he's considered one of the best there is.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Picking a player based on nostalgic name value alone? Probably a burned pick, not that I've seen this guy play or anything. How great would it be if he turned out to be dope though? That would be the hockey gods at their finest, lulz. Maybe the sheer volume of draft picks will make this drafy look better in hindsight if just one or two random dudes turn out to be good. Detroit does seem to have cache with the Hockey Gods, though less so lately.
Their Swedish scout is Hakan Andersson, he's considered one of the best there is.
I know but, they've been on a bit of cold streak lately with the rest of the league starting to catch up in the scouting department. We could be at the point where people are just assuming Detroit drafted well because they are Detroit, instead of looking at the actual picks they've made in the past few years and especially this year. Most media folks seems to think they were one of the big losers of the draft, though it's obviously hard to tell until a year or two goes by.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't know, Hakan Andersson went and found Pavel Datsyuk in Russia at 171st overall, so when Andersson tells Holland to go off the board, pretty sure Holland doesn't second guess him, you pretty much have to trust your scouts, you make your list, when the next player comes up on your list, you take him, whether or not he goes 2nd round, 3rd round, they don't really care about that, if you just start freelancing and second guessing your scouts, I don't think that gets you anywhere better.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't know, Hakan Andersson went and found Pavel Datsyuk in Russia at 171st overall, so when Andersson tells Holland to go off the board, pretty sure Holland doesn't second guess him, you pretty much have to trust your scouts, you make your list, when the next player comes up on your list, ypu take him, whether or not he goes 2nd round, 3rd round, they don't really care about that, if you just start freelancing and second guessing your scouts, I don't think that gets you anywhere better.
That's what I mean, he might just being given credit for his many past successes, instead of being judged on recent success. Don't just assume they drafted great because they are Detroit, at least until they prove that they have their mojo back in the scouting department, The Red Wings were taking advantage of a time when many teams weren't doing their due diligence in the scouting department, which resulted in far more late round steals for Detroit back in the day because they adeptly exploited that situation, but times have changed of late and the gap has been narrowed significantly, that's all I'm saying.
*yip*