NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Apparently Nolan Patrick is still banged up, undergoing abdominal surgery again because of that reoccuring hernia issue, won't be on ice for development camp. Last guy to be in the number one overall conversation who played as few games as he did in his draft year, Nail Yakupov, hopefully Patrick pans out a little better, being far more well rounded as a player and all he probably will if he can stay healthy, but the injury history is certainly a concern.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm

I think Nolan Patrick will be OK, I just don't think you need to win the lottery to get a Nolan Patrick, I don't see him as generational, he's closer to the Ryan Nugent-Hopkins zone than he is to the Auston Matthews zone.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I think Nolan Patrick will be OK, I just don't think you need to win the lottery to get a Nolan Patrick, I don't see him as generational, he's closer to the Ryan Nugent-Hopkins zone than he is to the Auston Matthews zone.
Hopefully for Philly he isn't in the Nail Yakupov zone. Banged up prospect in the number one overall conversation who ends up being a bust, that would suck, but it would serve them right for getting lucky in the draft lottery only to be burned by the hockey gods anyway.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I don't see him as a Yakupov, you can't hide those sorts of flaws playing center in the WHL, he will be a center, it's just on what line tho? Ultimately, I see him being a second line option, an elite second line center, but not a lottery pick required player.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I don't see him as a Yakupov, you can't hide those sorts of flaws playing center in the WHL, he will be a center, it's just on what line tho? Ultimately, I see him being a second line option, an elite second line center, but not a lottery pick required player.
Yeah my read is about the same, elite second line center, poor man's Toews, jack of all trades type.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Poor man's fer sure, take any of the big horses not named McDavid, Matthews, Draitsaitl, MacKinnon, Eichel, that's a whole nother level above Nolan Patrick. Whose job does he take on the Oilers? Answer; Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:33 pm

See, I don't think you got screwed by the Hockey Gods, Cappy, MacKinnon is the real deal, that was a year to win the lottery, this year not so much, put MacKinnon with Marner under Babcock? Auston Matthews zone, same-same.

Look what Marner did for JVR, with Marner under Babcock, MacKinnon scores 50? I can see that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:See, I don't think you got screwed by the Hockey Gods, Cappy, MacKinnon is the real deal, that was a year to win the lottery, this year not so much, put MacKinnon with Marner under Babcock? Auston Matthews zone, same-same.

Look what Marner did for JVR, with Marner under Babcock, MacKinnon scores 50? I can see that.
Makar might even be the best prospect in the entire draft, we might have actually lucked out losing the lottery and having him fall into our laps. May have spoken too soon cursing the hockey gods for missing out on the number one pick this year, definitely jumped the gun. I apologize, kind hockey gods, carry on with your bad selves, please don't turn against me on a dime, my team just sucks and I was lashing out at what seemed like yet another blow, no need to punish me, I've learned my lesson.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:40 pm

With MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost already in the fold, Makar does more for you than Hischer or Patrick in any case. Can't spend all your money up front, it's the same with the Leafs, big money forwards? Got no room left under the cap for them anyways.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:With MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost already in the fold, Makar does more for you than Hischer or Patrick in any case.
Which is why it wasn't that shocking to hear talk of him possibly being the number one player on their draft board, period. We very well might have taken him if we had the number one overall pick, but we're more than glad to take him at four.
:dance:
*yip*