NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Smitty-48

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:07 am

I think once they see Heiskanen at their camps, he's gonna become pretty untouchable pretty fast, he's gonna be their Hanafin.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I think once they see Heiskanen at their camps, he's gonna become pretty untouchable pretty fast.
So pull the trigger before then or we're fucked, note to Joe Sakic, get on it and make it snappy. Though I'm not as confident as you that Dallas could be fleeced in such a fashion, are they really that high on Barrie, or that low on Heiskanen? I have my doubts, I wouldn't make that trade in Dallas shoes, even with their win-now mentality, not worth giving up Heiskanen in my mind, but maybe they are stupid?
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:11 am

I think it's too late already, there was a window there, where Dallas was looking to move the pick, everybody was on the floor, the pick was in play, that was the time to pounce with the closer, but bear in mind, Heiskanen is pro already, he already plays against men, so when he comes to camp, they will see that he is actually NHL ready right now, Hanafin like, and then he's untouchable.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:14 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I think it's too late already, there was a window there, where Dallas was looking to move the pick, everybody was on the floor, the pick was in play, that was the time to pounce with the closer, but bear in mind, Heiskanen is pro already, he already plays against men, so when he comes to camp, they will see that he is actually NHL ready right now, Hanafin like, and then he's untouchable.
I don't even think the window was open in the first place, there was talk of Heiskanen going to Philadelphia at #2 even, him being an inch and a half taller than previously thought at the combine sent his stock through the roof, Dallas just said the pick was in play in case someone blew their socks off with a deal because teams wanted either Heiskanen or Makar real bad, but never really had any intentions of moving the pick, that's my read of the sitch anyway.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am

For Tyson Barrie? Oh there was a window, Dallas is in win now mode, no way Philly was putting the Ghost in play, but Tyson Barrie could have got it done.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:18 am

Smitty-48 wrote:For Tyson Barrie? Oh there was a window, Dallas is in win now mode, no way Philly was putting the Ghost in play, but Tyson Barrie could have got it done.
Meh. Barrie still kind of needs to be sheltered from tough defensive matchups when Johnson is healthy, he's got that Jake Gardineritis. He's a great PP QB, but I have to imagine that both Heiskanen and Makar's stock were far higher than Barrie's, at least after the combine, if not before. I wouldn't have traded the third pick for Barrie if I was Dallas, no way, that's feigned stupidity in an attempt to grab a king's ransom. The Dallas Stars may be able to snow the media, but they can't snow me.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 am

I'm a big Barrie fan, yeah, he's got some Gardiner to him, but somebody is about to pay Kevin Shattenkirk $7 million for the next 7 years, and I would take Barrie above Shattenkirk, at $5.5 for four years, Barrie is the Avs most valuable asset, they could get a lot for Barrie, considering what the alternatives are on the open market.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 am

Bear in mind, I'm a big Gardiner fan too, yeah, he's a middle pairing guy, you don't put him shutdown up against the other teams top lines, but as a 3-4, Gardiner is elite, and he actually played great in the playoffs, no brain cramps at all, against Washington.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I'm a big Barrie fan, yeah, he's got some Gardiner to him, but somebody is about to pay Kevin Shattenkirk $7 million for the next 7 years, and I would take Barrie above Shattenkirk, at $5.5 for four years, Barrie is the Avs most valuable asset, they could get a lot for Barrie, considering what the alternatives are on the open market.
Oh I agree that Barrie is our most valuable non-untouchable asset, and his contract is hella movable. I like Barrie too, I just like Makar and Heiskanen more, and I'm pretty sure Dallas never thought otherwise post-combine, even with all that talk of moving the pick. Offensively speaking, Barrie is like the ideal RH-Second Pairing D, one the best of the shelterable DPPQBs, when he's healthy anyway, but defensively, lets just say that he leaves a lot to be desired. Not bad for a 3rd round pick, found wallet, if ever there was one.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am

The main thing is, nobody has an all star team defence, the perfect is the enemy of the good, I think Dermott will replace Gardiner when Gardiner comes UFA, but in the meantime, Leaf fans may complain about him, none the less, if the Leafs moved Gardiner now, they would miss him right away, the Avs on the other hand, now is the time to just go with it and tank, even if you don't win the lottery, no biggie, is Nolan Patrick guaranteed to be better than Makar? Not necessarily, Patrick has a long ways to go, no Auston Matthews is he.

You already have MacKinnon, so you've got the Matthews in place, so now you could just load up on top ten picks, Marner at four, Rielly at five, Kadri at seven, Nylander at eight.
Nec Aspera Terrent