Re: Fake News

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:09 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 am

:lol:

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I really don't understand why the MSM is as bad at this as they are.

It took no effort to get to the bottom of the DC kids thing.

Have some self respect, or at least brand accountability.

Use buzzfeed to push your instantaneous bullshit.

Don't push the instantly contradicted lie with CNN.

Be better.

Where did you learn your trade?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Older people expect news to act like “news,” but it’s just propaganda now. News does NOT want to be accurate - they WANT to push an agenda.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 pm

I think it always was propaganda. We just did not have social networks to get facts out to one another and build our own networks for accurate information.

It is just human nature to want to abuse the power of the press. The printing press was a weapon.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 pm

I’ve thought about this and I’d say no, news was objective until FOX, and even that is objective compared to what the other outlets are dishing now. This is a recent phenomenon, a rebirth of Yellow journalism.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:16 pm

I don't know. I didn't pay much attention to the news until around 1998-ish, honestly. It's always been shitty since then. As you mentioned, Yellow Journalism was a thing. I also encountered how journalism was used in every single bloody revolution in modernity to do exactly what we see them doing now (and much worse).

At best you could argue there was a window of non-propagandistic journalism from the post-war period to the late 90s. But I really doubt the news was any less of a shit show back then either. There just was no way for us to reach a critical mass of people with the ability to share facts that contradict it and discuss.

For example, the media was balls in for Vietnam until they weren't. I don't know how much truth there was to the support for the war collapsing when Cronkite made his live broadcast commentary. If true, however, imagine how fucked up they had to have been to know full well how fucked up this war was going and not really telling Americans the truth until Walter Cronkite did it.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:52 pm

I feel like it's gotten worse. I'm sure they had their biases back then, but they still had some sense of honor to at least try and report objectively in most cases. It wasn't long ago that Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs were on CNN.

I am now of the mindset that the media is actively trying to ruin normal citizens lives. They are not content with just going after politicians and celebrities (the few that actually aren't far, far left lunatics) anymore. They are an active threat to the people. Look at how Twitter allows posts calling for violence against the Covington kids to stay up. Even after hundreds of complaints they keep them up. It won't be long before Youtube, Twitter and Google begin widespread censoring of things they don't like. Truth that we can find today will be harder to find because the main outlets for finding them will filter them out.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 pm
Older people expect news to act like “news,” but it’s just propaganda now. News does NOT want to be accurate - they WANT to push an agenda.
But you must have some legitimacy.

Ruling out incompetency, what value does CNN get running a narrative that doesn’t last five minutes?

Buzzfeed has nothing to lose.

But CNN?
yes their audience wants a left slant, but most lefties don’t actually want to be lied to and made a fool of.

We have short attention spans but the mirage still has to last through the night.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Was there a rash of “yellow journalism” with:

The printing press?
The telegraph?
The internet?

Was the yellow journalism of the French Revolution a cause or an effect?

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 pm

The news has been slanted since I began paying attention, late into Bush's second term. Even as a teenager it was pretty obvious something was amiss. My first concrete example was in 2009 when MSNBC cropped the image of the armed, black, tea party protestor, while the talking heads played up the racial element suggesting that white people were bringing guns because newly-elected Barack Obama was Kenyan-American. While searching for the video, I found this one that coincidentally enough starts with some clips from 1992, showing how Dateline NBC falsified their reporting in a story about a car exploding on impact and their acknowledgement/apology, so fake news goes back at least that far

"ACCORDING TO OUR EXPERTS"