[s]YouTube stuff[/s] cancelled

Okeefenokee

Re: YouTube stuff

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
pineapplemike wrote:

Boss.
Verily.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Busted :lol:
Looks scientific :lol:

If true, then yeah, I’m definitely willing to take that into account.
It should have taken you all of .5 seconds to realize steel doesn't need to melt to become weakened by heat.
Not being a metalworker myself, no. It would not.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Looks scientific :lol:

If true, then yeah, I’m definitely willing to take that into account.
It should have taken you all of .5 seconds to realize steel doesn't need to melt to become weakened by heat.
But you knew there were people in the world called blacksmiths, and you knew they use a forge to heat metal and then pound it into shape with a hammer. Don't act like this is new information you never knew.

p.s. apparently, the CIA could have used a belt sander to take down the towers. We should look into that.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
But you knew there were people in the world called blacksmiths, and you knew they use a forge to heat metal and then pound it into shape with a hammer. Don't act like this is new information you never knew.

Yes, I was indeed aware that such things exist. The mysteries of life are multitude and infathomable.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Yes, I was indeed aware that such things exist. The mysteries of life are multitude and infathomable.
So, the first time someone said jetfuel can't melt steel beams, your first thought should have been, "but the metal will be weakened even if it doesn't liquefy."

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

So, the first time someone said jetfuel can't melt steel beams, your first thought should have been, "but the metal will be weakened even if it doesn't liquefy."
Well, does it weaken when the temp reaches 100? 300? 500? How much?

Don’t fuckin know. So when they say it melts at that temp, I have to assume that’s when it weakens.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 pm

How do you think a knife is made? Did you think they literally melt the steel into a liquid?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Well, does it weaken when the temp reaches 100? 300? 500? How much?

Don’t fuckin know. So when they say it melts at that temp, I have to assume that’s when it weakens.
Just in case you don't understand this, when they say steel melts, they mean it literally, right? Liquid steel. They aren't using it as a figure of speech.

They mean actually melting from solid to liquid, as in, this burning car is so hot that it has shifted into a different state of matter, liquid, and is now pouring off the road into the ditch.

Solid,

Liquid,

Now, the dude in the video showed that the red hot beam was still solid when he banged it on the anvil before bending it. It was still solid, not liquid, and yet it was weak as hell.

Nothing about this should be so hard for you to understand.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Hot finished carbon steel begins to lose strength at temperatures above 300°C and reduces in strength at steady rate up to 800°C. The small residual strength then reduces more gradually until the melting temperature at around 1500°C. This behaviour is similar for hot rolled reinforcing steels. For cold worked steels including reinforcement, there is a more rapid decrease of strength after 300°C (Lawson & Newman 1990). In addition to the reduction of material strength and stiffness, steel displays a significant creep phenomena at temperatures over 450°C. The phenomena of creep results in an increase of deformation (strain) with time, even if the temperature and applied stress remain unchanged (Twilt 1988).

High temperature creep is dependent on the stress level and heating rate. The occurrence of creep indicates that the stress and the temperature history have to be taken into account in estimating the strength and deformation behaviour of steel structures in fire. Including creep explicitly within analytical models, is complex. For simple design methods, it is widely accepted that the effect of creep is implicitly considered in the stress-strain-temperature relationships.
http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/projec ... efault.htm
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:How do you think a knife is made? Did you think they literally melt the steel into a liquid?
In a factory, yes. That’s exactly how they’re made :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace