Star Trek Discovery

heydaralon

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Penner wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:Voyager had like a zillion other problems...
Well it's the worst Trek series for a reason.

That was Enterprise. It literally killed the franchise for like over ten years and then CBS bought Paramount and rebooted the whole thing. Now we are stuck with the JJ Timeline of "why go to the trouble of creating an alternate timeline when your second movie is basically a remake of one of the best films in the whole franchise and also in cinema history"?
What is the appeal of Star Trek? I'm genuinely curious. It always felt really boring to me. Their outfits look silly, as do the klingons and stuff and even when they are trying to be serious I could never get in the moment.
Shikata ga nai

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Penner wrote:
StCapps wrote:Well it's the worst Trek series for a reason.

That was Enterprise. It literally killed the franchise for like over ten years and then CBS bought Paramount and rebooted the whole thing. Now we are stuck with the JJ Timeline of "why go to the trouble of creating an alternate timeline when your second movie is basically a remake of one of the best films in the whole franchise and also in cinema history"?
What is the appeal of Star Trek? I'm genuinely curious. It always felt really boring to me. Their outfits look silly, as do the klingons and stuff and even when they are trying to be serious I could never get in the moment.
Geeze, that is kind of like asking why do people like looking and collecting fine art.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Penner wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Penner wrote:

Geeze, that is kind of like asking why do people like looking and collecting fine art.
To each his own. I was just curious if you watched the show seriously, or if it is supposed to viewed in a campy sort of way. Those outfits are what I imagine the Uzbekistani track team would wear.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Penner wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:Voyager had like a zillion other problems...
Well it's the worst Trek series for a reason.

Enterprise was a pretty awesome show, actually. I liked it better than Voyager.

That theme song though... dumbest shit ever.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Voyager is the one with that woman whose voice causes your nuts to recede up into your spleen right? Yeah, I didn't watch that for obvious reasons.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:What is Mexico doing to the United States right now?

Cortez might have showed up with gunpowder and horses five centuries ago, but they kicked the Europeans out of Mesoamerica two centuries ago and they are now slowly taking over the United States. What good was the United State's technological advancement when the American people were willing to hand it all over to the Mexica for low fruit prices?
Only you could break a discussion on Star Trek and aliens back down to racial paranoia.

GCF: Face it, America's future is brown. You can't stop the inevitable.

GCF: OMFG! you can't use that as an example of more primitive people coming to dominate more advanced civilizations!

:lol:
I suppose that if you see the world as divided by skin color, then yeah - that’s a threat.

For functioning humans though, it has no meaning - and certainly nothing to do with “domination”.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 pm

I mean.. we are talking about this show, right?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Only you could break a discussion on Star Trek and aliens back down to racial paranoia.

GCF: Face it, America's future is brown. You can't stop the inevitable.

GCF: OMFG! you can't use that as an example of more primitive people coming to dominate more advanced civilizations!

I suppose that if you see the world as divided by skin color, then yeah - that’s a threat.

For functioning humans though, it has no meaning - and certainly nothing to do with “domination”.

LMFAO, dude.

You are fucking hilarious tonight.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:27 pm

The weakness in the franchise is the fact that they weren't all coffee coloured people. Everyone knows that by the time of first contact the mixing pot will have eliminated racial differences on Earth.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Did they ever address the bathroom situation on Star Trek? Do they shit through a tube that sucks the waste out in space like our own astronauts do, or have they evolved to a place where bathrooms are no longer needed, as every food they eat is 100% efficient and produces no byproducts?
Shikata ga nai