Woodworking thread

C-Mag

Re: Woodworking thread

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I feel like we all took this 11 day journey together.
It will be more real to me when I am sitting infront of a plate of Fried Chicken
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm

C-Mag wrote: It will be more real to me when I am sitting infront of a plate of Fried Chicken

:lol: They can't lay forever......

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Haumana wrote:
C-Mag wrote: It will be more real to me when I am sitting infront of a plate of Fried Chicken

Unfortunately when they are done laying their only good for soup.
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Chicken Long Rice it is then. Twist my arm.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Haumana wrote:

Chicken Marengo ftw if you have any crayfish nearby. Use old classical recipes for hens. They didn't have any broilers back when Napoleon wanted to still his hunger after a successful battle.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:45 am

Hastur wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Haumana wrote:

Chicken Marengo ftw if you have any crayfish nearby. Use old classical recipes for hens. They didn't have any broilers back when Napoleon wanted to still his hunger after a successful battle.
Bookmarked.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 pm

PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Looking hard at a 200 yr old house on 9 acres.

Gotta get me some land.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Looking hard at a 200 yr old house on 9 acres.
Nearly 2 years ago I bought a 125 year old house. Here's some of my lessons learned, pros and cons...............might get a little long.

Pros
The location and design of homes before electricity were mostly built to take advantage of weather, climate and seasons. For instance, this year many of the homes in the surrounding area are experiencing minor flooding. Not me, when this home was built there wasn't another home for miles, it's built on a small rise, almost inperceptable in the valley. But I'm 8 to 16 inches higher than the surrounding ground and thats enough.

The house is built to take advantage of the sun in all 4 seasons. The solid wood doors have half glass to allow light to penetrate through the house during the day, without having any lights on. The roof is steep pitched and sheds moisture easily. I have a solid brick chimney that starts in the basement and runs through the kitchen on the main floor and through the bedroom on the 2nd story. I can install a wood or coal stove on any level or multiple levels. I have a built in 12x24 concrete root cellar in the basement. I still have a coal chute.

The homestead was built and designed for a family to raise most of it's' own food and care for animals. There are shelter trees, fruit trees, garden areas, a barn, a shop, an old carriage shed, an outhouse, and the original well. There is still water in the well, and the hand pump, but it needs new leather packings.

Everything about the house is built for self sufficiency in area.

Cons
The House is really old.
I'm in the process of replacing all the original knob and tube wiring and runs most of the house. I'm 80% rebuilt with new now. Insulation sucks. Working on that too. Luckily for me, the house is very structurally sound. However, the wives tale of all these superior hundred year old materials is a myth. Yes, it's very solid wood, but it's not vastly superior to modern lumber, generally just larger in dimension. The trim and flooring was superior though.

Lathe and Plaster Sucks. It's very hard to work with, around, etc. The Windows are high quality, but a lot of work with all the paint on them. They all need to be stripped and refurbished to function properely. Then storm windows and screens need work. Old houses are a shit ton of work. Just be aware of that.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:31 am

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Looking hard at a 200 yr old house on 9 acres.
Nearly 2 years ago I bought a 125 year old house. Here's some of my lessons learned, pros and cons...............might get a little long.

Pros
The location and design of homes before electricity were mostly built to take advantage of weather, climate and seasons. For instance, this year many of the homes in the surrounding area are experiencing minor flooding. Not me, when this home was built there wasn't another home for miles, it's built on a small rise, almost inperceptable in the valley. But I'm 8 to 16 inches higher than the surrounding ground and thats enough.

The house is built to take advantage of the sun in all 4 seasons. The solid wood doors have half glass to allow light to penetrate through the house during the day, without having any lights on. The roof is steep pitched and sheds moisture easily. I have a solid brick chimney that starts in the basement and runs through the kitchen on the main floor and through the bedroom on the 2nd story. I can install a wood or coal stove on any level or multiple levels. I have a built in 12x24 concrete root cellar in the basement. I still have a coal chute.

The homestead was built and designed for a family to raise most of it's' own food and care for animals. There are shelter trees, fruit trees, garden areas, a barn, a shop, an old carriage shed, an outhouse, and the original well. There is still water in the well, and the hand pump, but it needs new leather packings.

Everything about the house is built for self sufficiency in area.

Cons
The House is really old.
I'm in the process of replacing all the original knob and tube wiring and runs most of the house. I'm 80% rebuilt with new now. Insulation sucks. Working on that too. Luckily for me, the house is very structurally sound. However, the wives tale of all these superior hundred year old materials is a myth. Yes, it's very solid wood, but it's not vastly superior to modern lumber, generally just larger in dimension. The trim and flooring was superior though.

Lathe and Plaster Sucks. It's very hard to work with, around, etc. The Windows are high quality, but a lot of work with all the paint on them. They all need to be stripped and refurbished to function properely. Then storm windows and screens need work. Old houses are a shit ton of work. Just be aware of that.
Good points. Our current place is about 80 years old, and came with knob/tube that we had the sellers replace before moving in. The insulation was pretty non-existent, but I've replaced all of it upstairs.

This new one was once a carriage house, built on a hill. It has all new windows, an original brick oven in the basement, and plenty of room to grow. I want the foundation/structure/roof/plumbing thoroughly checked, but the rest I can handle. I'm no stranger to insulation and drywall. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0