E
N
E
W
S

PartyOf5

Re: Fake News

Post by PartyOf5 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:04 am

I saw numerous "failed smear" articles before I even heard the video existed. That told me this was a setup and fake news story.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 am

We need to do a better job of documenting which specific writers participate in these DARK campaigns.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:01 pm

probably easier to make a list of those that don't

new article from glenn greenwald regarding that cuban soundwave 'attack' and how nbc news uncritically repeated anonymous IC sources to blame russia
NBC and MSNBC Blamed Russia for Using “Sophisticated Microwaves” to Cause “Brain Injuries” in U.S. “Diplomats” in Cuba. The Culprits Were Likely Crickets.
https://theintercept.com/2019/01/07/nbc ... -crickets/

NBC News and MSNBC specialize in repeating and disseminating what U.S intelligence officials tell them to say and then calling that servitude “reporting.” Those two networks really are the all-but-official outlets for CIA messaging. And this status has led their brightest on-air stars to broadcast a series of extremely consequential stories that turned out to be humiliatingly wrong.

This stenographic and highly jingoistic practice of mindlessly reciting the whispered claims of anonymous “intelligence officials” is what notoriously led the New York Times and other leading U.S. media outlets to deceive the country into believing Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz’s fairy tales about Iraqi WMDs and Jeffrey Goldberg’s tales about Saddam’s alliance with Al Qaeda.

But while many of those outlets apologized for that behavior and vowed to avoid it in the future, NBC and MSNBC have committed themselves to it with greater vigor than ever, as evidenced by the increasing prominence of their national security reporter Ken Dilanian, whose entire career has been defined by repeating what the CIA tells him to say – and has thus been plagued by one embarrassing false story after the next.
We now have what might be the most vivid, reckless and dangerous illustration yet of how NBC and MSNBC functions. If their behavior weren’t so journalistically shameful and destructive, this would be darkly humorous.

Last September – on the symbolically meaningful date of September 11 – NBC and MSNBC breathlessly trumpeted what they regarded as a major exclusive scoop: that Russia is “the main suspect” in what the network called “mysterious attacks” that led to “brain injuries” in U.S. personnel in Cuba.” They put CIA loyalist Ken Dilanian on the air to explain – based, needless to say, on the script given to him by intelligence officials who, as always, are shielded from accountability by them with anonymity – that “sophisticated microwaves or another type of electromagnetic weapon were likely used on the U.S. government workers” and that it was Russia which likely engineered the attack.
As this discussion unfolded, the graphic on MSNBC’s screen was crafted for its most sensationalistic expression: Russia is the “main suspect” in the “brain injury attacks” on American diplomats

Andrea Mitchell, with her sternest voice tone, underscored how villainous this all was: “This is not an accident. This is not a microwave listening device gone bad. This is an attack — against American diplomats and intelligence officers, and this was targeting.”
But what is certain is that the sustained, flamboyant, uncritical, breathless, CIA-subservient reporting from NBC and MSNBC on-air personalities – pinning the blame for an obviously serious attack on a nuclear-armed power that it has spent two years attempting to depict as a Grave Threat to the U.S. with very few caveats or doubts – was reckless, dangerous and journalistically unethical. And it’s just the latest in a series of attempts by the U.S. media to scare the population about Russia by fabricating attacks launched by the Kremlin that never actually happened: from invading Vermont’s electric grid and using mainstream news sites to infiltrate American minds with Kremlin propaganda to hacking into C-SPAN to take over the airwaves and hacking elections systems in 21 states.
It’s bad enough to be so reckless with such dangerous rhetoric. But when this is all accomplished through the shoddiest of “reporting” – mindlessly repeating what anonymous intelligence officials tell journalists to say without a whiff of evidence – then it’s clear that the same journalistic pathologies that led to front-page reports of Saddam’s nuclear stockpile and alliance with Osama bin Laden continue to shape corporate journalism today, particularly at NBC and MSNBC.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:01 pm

new article from glenn greenwald regarding that cuban soundwave 'attack' and how nbc news uncritically repeated anonymous IC sources to blame russia
I think there is some value in knowing who the mouth pieces are versus who are just the parrots.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:23 pm

pineapplemike wrote:

The fact that this turned out to be crickets should have gotten loads of people fired.

On the other hand, I am not these peoples audience so my opinion should not matter to them as there opinion does not matter to me.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 pm
pineapplemike wrote:

I think there is some value in knowing who the mouth pieces are versus who are just the parrots.
Acting like I have a clue if anyone on TV is acting without agency has long passed me. I still have trouble reconciling Trump/Hannity.

The only analysis I consider worthwhile in determining the truth behind anything is: cui bono?

Everyone I can think of that purport themselves as "independent reporters" have long lost my trust in them to report any and all news in a manner that is not meant to drive an agenda.

This mis-reporting about the 7yo shot in Texas by Mr Black is really jaw dropping.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 pm

kybkh wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm
nmoore63 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 pm
pineapplemike wrote:

Acting like I have a clue if anyone on TV is acting without agency has long passed me. I still have trouble reconciling Trump/Hannity.

The only analysis I consider worthwhile in determining the truth behind anything is: cui bono?

Everyone I can think of that purport themselves as "independent reporters" have long lost my trust in them to report any and all news in a manner that is not meant to drive an agenda.

This mis-reporting about the 7yo shot in Texas by Mr Black is really jaw dropping.
Cui Bono just doesn't get you very far these days.
Many people act with malice trying to hurt this person or that group and it backfires.