Another School Shooting

pineapplemike

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:04 pm

For a white supremacist he sure killed a lot of white people

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 pm

kybkh wrote:The social welfare state did not exist in the past as it does today.

By being afforded the ability to rely solely on the Federal Government as opposed to one's self or local community (local carries greater cost to the individual) we are removing any social and/or financial obligation individuals may feel in providing adequately for themselves, their families and their communities.

Right now an individual can say "I had a single mom who worked all the time and didn't get the attention I deserve so I am going to get knocked up by someone so they have to marry me and if they decide not to marry me I can just file for social welfare programs and not feel guilty at all" for whatever excuse society will afford for their personal failure.

Individuals are also able to say "why the fuck should I care about bad schools, I pay my taxes thereby fulfilling any obligation to give a fuck".
The State has filled in the role of family and kin.
Where family and kin had responsibility for their own... now the State has it.
And the State has been a weak replacement.
We have talked about this in other threads on elderly and child care.
I agree that this has led to a weakening of social fabric...

That being said the State is what took us from tribes to civilization... so we should be slow to wish it away... we don't want to get too nostalgic about tribalism... with all it's trappings of constant warfare, raiding, human sacrifice and slavery.
The welfare state is the extension of the state to increasing levels of responsibility for the welfare of citizens as the industrial revolution continued to separate workers from their communities and the means to support themselves through agriculture etc.

But yes... it has contributed very substantially to the breakdown in communities and family relationships.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Mentally ill people are more prone to suicide and school shootings.

We try to medicate mentally ill people.

Conclusion: The medication is somehow responsible for the suicide and school shootings?
What about all the other developed nations which prescribe medication for mental illness? Do they have the same rates of mass shootings or is something else the more important factor here?
What about the other nations that have acid, but aren't throwing it in each other's faces every day?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:If what most of what you're saying is true, then wouldn't a competent answer for the individual above be to checkout of the suburbs/city and go live with extended kin in a compound somewhere in a rural setting preferably, Home school, garden, walk in nature, hunt/fish, and make an income some how that mitigates the interactions you have with the outside world. In other words, if society is sick. Leave it.
Sure... if he had the means to do so...
Most people don't have family in the country who are willing or able to take them in.
Leaving society is far from a straightforward option.
The wilderness is not as hospitable as you might think... most people have no ability to survive in it.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Montegriffo wrote:What about all the other developed nations which prescribe medication for mental illness? Do they have the same rates of mass shootings or is something else the more important factor here?
The USA has a perfect storm of low social capital, high rates of prescription meds, easy availability of high powered guns.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:19 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
This.

But then we wouldn't have cannon fodder for the Infinite War.

Sure we would. The average age of a WW2 soldier was somewhere in the mid-30s, dude.
Maybe at the very beginning. They always get down to 15 year olds by the end.
Do you ever not talk out of your ass?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Mentally ill people are more prone to suicide and school shootings.

We try to medicate mentally ill people.

Conclusion: The medication is somehow responsible for the suicide and school shootings?
What about all the other developed nations which prescribe medication for mental illness? Do they have the same rates of mass shootings or is something else the more important factor here?
What about the other nations that have acid, but aren't throwing it in each other's faces every day?
Inner city gang warfare in a nation where guns are not easily obtained and carrying a knife can get you a 5 year stretch even if you don't use it. No death count and not in the same league as your gang warfare.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Otern wrote:
C-Mag wrote:The FBI is doing some splaining on this, they knew who the kid was, saw his youtube stuff. Did nothing. Haven't looked into it too much, but you'd think if we allow ourselves to be spied on the FBI could stop terrorists or school shooters they know about at least.
I think this is a bigger problem than mass shootings and terrorism in itself. Troubled people are allowed to just rot by themselves without any intervention. Most of them don't turn into murderers, but they still keep adding no value to society or themselves.

People knew this kid was fucked up, yet no system in place to step in and stop the radicalization process.

I guess some people will do fucked up stuff, no matter what society do though. But a lot of people are viewed as "fucked up", and shunned by society, without really having a way out. Lack of parenting, lack of follow up by mental health professionals, and lack of good morals do a lot of harm, and cause these types of events, meaning they're just a symptom of a deeper societal problem.

And it's not just the US that have these problems, the entire western world have them.
Otern's killing it.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Inner city gang warfare in a nation where guns are not easily obtained and carrying a knife can get you a 5 year stretch even if you don't use it. No death count and not in the same league as your gang warfare.
You know that's not an improvement, right?

You made things worse.

You took away people's ability to defend themselves, and then incentivized a form of attack that leaves victims disfigured for life.

Great work.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
You know that's not an improvement, right?

You made things worse.

You took away people's ability to defend themselves, and then incentivized a form of attack that leaves victims disfigured for life.

Great work.
Easier to defend yourself against a youth with a bottle of bleach than a gun, you can't outrun a bullet. Disfigured v dead. It's not an ideal situation sure but definately an improvement on thousands of gun deaths.
How many children do you think your latest school shooter would have killed with a bottle of acid?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.