The Destroyer of All Western Values

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Destroyer of All Western Values

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 31, 2017 8:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
I've never heard that, unless you are joking. If he was, he wouldn't be the first peter puffing President. Buchanan had an affinity for nude man on man horseplay.

No, it's a legitimate rumor. I can't remember the guy's name offhand. I am sure you can find a few articles referring to it if you searched for it. It's nothing conclusive; just rumor.
I'm gonna check it out. That's crazy if its true. The press hated the shit out of Nixon, so if they had found that out when he was in office they would have gone to town.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/2 ... 71557.html

Review of the book that alleges it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 pm

heydaralon wrote:

No, it's a legitimate rumor. I can't remember the guy's name offhand. I am sure you can find a few articles referring to it if you searched for it. It's nothing conclusive; just rumor.
I'm gonna check it out. That's crazy if its true. The press hated the shit out of Nixon, so if they had found that out when he was in office they would have gone to town.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/2 ... 71557.html

Review of the book that alleges it.
It says in the article that Nixon's lover had mob ties. If that were true, don't you think they would have tried to blackmail him like they did with that Senator in Godfather Part 2?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 pm

heydaralon wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
I've never heard that, unless you are joking. If he was, he wouldn't be the first peter puffing President. Buchanan had an affinity for nude man on man horseplay.

I don't think they would have, some shit was still out of bounds, the "press" was the editors and the owners, Ben Bradlee and Katherine Graham wouldn't have run with that sort of stuff, and there was no "alternative media" of any repute.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 pm

heydaralon wrote:It says in the article that Nixon's lover had mob ties. If that were true, don't you think they would have tried to blackmail him like they did with that Senator in Godfather Part 2?
Dude, everybody had mob ties, the mob was into everybody at the time, this was in the golden age of the mob.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:It says in the article that Nixon's lover had mob ties. If that were true, don't you think they would have tried to blackmail him like they did with that Senator in Godfather Part 2?
Dude, everybody had mob ties, the mob was into everybody at the time, this was in the golden age of the mob.
I thought the mob's golden age was between the 20's and 50's. My mafia knowledge is basically from watching the Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Martin Scorsese movies.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
I thought the mob's golden age was between the 20's and 50's. My mafia knowledge is basically from watching the Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Martin Scorsese movies.
Well, prior to 1963, officially, they still didn't even exist, and JFK was literally hanging out with the mob in Vegas, still the golden age until; RICO Act gets passed in 1970, but it doesn't take effect overnight, took twenty years for RICO to break the grip of the mob.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote: Dude, everybody had mob ties, the mob was into everybody at the time, this was in the golden age of the mob.
Well, prior to 1963, officially, they still didn't even exist, and JFK was literally hanging out with the mob in Vegas, still the golden age until; RICO Act gets passed in 1970, but it doesn't take effect overnight, took twenty years for RICO to break the grip of the mob.
I forget which producer, but there was talks about doing a miniseries about Frank Sinatra and his close association with the mob. Not a fan of his music, but I would watch the shit out of it.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 pm

His music was awesome. You have to listen to somebody performing it live with a few gin and tonics in the tank.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Joe Valachi was the first Wise Guy to ever publicly acknowledge the existence of the Cosa Nostra, prior to that, officially at least, it was just a legend, but any politician of the era, would have had mob ties to some degree, unavoidably, and Nixon, had been around forever.

I mean, if you started digging into even the Eisenhower Administration, sho you gonna find some mobsters eventually, prior to the age of RICO, find me someplace that you couldn't run into the mob eventually; good luck.

I mean, shit, in half the districts in the country, you would have needed mob ties, just to get elected. In the other half, you would have needed the Klu Klux Klan.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Joe Valachi was the first Wise Guy to ever publicly acknowledge the existence of the Cosa Nostra, prior to that, officially at least, it was just a legend, but any politician of the era, would have had mob ties to some degree, unavoidably, and Nixon, had been around forever.

I mean, if you started digging into even the Eisenhower Administration, sho you gonna find some mobsters eventually, prior to the age of RICO, find me someplace that you couldn't run into the mob eventually; good luck.

I mean, shit, in half the districts in the country, you would have needed mob ties, just to get elected. In the other half, you would have needed the Klu Klux Klan.
How did Congress manage to pass RICO if it was so mobbed up?
Shikata ga nai