Another School Shooting

Okeefenokee

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Funny thing is, there is usually a lot of support from progressive young people about changing the structure of education from the old industrial model, but somewhere between that recognition, and the specter of school choice, they get spooked.

They want something new, as long as it's a mandatory liberal public school where religion is outlawed.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Well, for starts, what are the socioeconomic qualities and motivations and capabilities of those 36 students vs those of the approximately 320 in a single grade level in my current 8th grade class that I split with one other teacher?
Hontar: We must work in the world, your eminence. The world is thus.

Altamirano: No, Señor Hontar. Thus have we made the world... thus have I made it.

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Funny thing is, there is usually a lot of support from progressive young people about changing the structure of education from the old industrial model, but somewhere between that recognition, and the specter of school choice, they get spooked.

They want something new, as long as it's a mandatory liberal public school where religion is outlawed.
I think you’re largely right, though I think it’s an overstatement to say they want religion outlawed. I think it’s more a matter of not showing preference for one over another, and instead aiming for a more comparative approach. In 6th grade, world religion study is all very informational and wrapped into specific regional studies. It’s not ‘deep’, but that’s mainly because it’s not a dedicated comparative religion class.

I’d love a semester/year-long comparative religion class, though, but not for 6th graders. Probably more along the lines of a high school elective you could teach at a high level with students who wanted to be there.

Altamirano: No, Señor Hontar. Thus have we made the world... thus have I made it.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Zero wrote:Well, for starts, what are the socioeconomic qualities and motivations and capabilities of those 36 students vs those of the approximately 320 in a single grade level in my current 8th grade class that I split with one other teacher?
It's probably not an applicable comparison.

Those students probably didn't attend anything similar to public schooling before college, but were most likely in a private boarding school of some sort during their childhoods.

These parents were likely handing over large sums of cash with a firm expectation that their sons (I'm guessing we're talking all boys here) would actually get the education and development that was being marketed.

Those private institutions were in competition with any other school for selection from the pool of parents able to afford the tuition.

That's far removed from what the current state is.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Zero wrote:I’d love a semester/year-long comparative religion class, though, but not for 6th graders. Probably more along the lines of a high school elective you could teach at a high level with students who wanted to be there.
Yes, 6th graders should be more focused on mandatory, not "elective" education. In 6th grade, the students must be more focused on the mandatory curriculum.

E.g., what is your "gender?"

And, what is the definition of "intersectionality?"

"Religion" is probably best set aside for state-mandated 17th or 18th grade.

:goteam: :drunk:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanking God is "illegal" in Pennsylvania government schools.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Thanking God is "illegal" in Pennsylvania government schools.
Even the most hardcore federalist in 1787 would have accused us of being on low-grade acid, bath salts, and Tide pods if we would have claimed this as a possible outcome from the proposed Constitution.

In fact, the hardcore federalists only cared about money. If they had been presented with the foggiest notion that Marx was going to be a thing, they would have looked at the presenter like a fly on a piece of tape. Totally WTF.

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Fife wrote:
Zero wrote:I’d love a semester/year-long comparative religion class, though, but not for 6th graders. Probably more along the lines of a high school elective you could teach at a high level with students who wanted to be there.
Yes, 6th graders should be more focused on mandatory, not "elective" education. In 6th grade, the students must be more focused on the mandatory curriculum.

E.g., what is your "gender?"

And, what is the definition of "intersectionality?"

"Religion" is probably best set aside for state-mandated 17th or 18th grade.

:goteam: :drunk:
Well, 11 year olds don’t really know that much, especially about world religions. At that age, they’re being introduced to topics, finding engagement and developing skills. They take World Geo in 9th and World Hostory in 10th, so yeah, at 14-15, they should have the knowledge and skills to go into more meaningful depth. Not that the 6th grade class can’t be deep, it’s just more of a survey class that typically doesn’t linger on anyone area exclusively. In sixth they’re focused on government, geography, economics and society in general.

I dunno about that other stuff with gender and intersectionality. I suppose it’s out there, but it’s no where in the TEKS.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Zero wrote:Well, 11 year olds don’t really know that much, especially about world religions.
Source?

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Fife wrote:
Zero wrote:Well, 11 year olds don’t really know that much, especially about world religions.
Source?
Experience. They know about their own faith, the more devout, the more knowledgeable, but generally speaking, your white, middle class suburban Baptist doesn’t know much about Buddhism, or the cultures it originated in. For the most part, baseline student knowledge beyond their own locality is fairly low. Some kids have traveled more, read more, seen more - but I’d suppose the majority haven’t.