Created a Petition on the White House Website to stop targeted in-game gambling (loot boxes)

Ph64

Re: Created a Petition on the White House Website to stop targeted in-game gambling (loot boxes)

Post by Ph64 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:12 pm

The Conservative wrote: These loot crates say you can get a specific quality of character, but it says nothing about a specific character or weapon, etc... You take a risk spending real money on a non-real product which may (more likely not) help you out with the game. This isn't like Blizzard with World Of Warcraft or Heroes of the Storm in where you buy characters, weapons, or items with real money.

These loot crates have an algorithm in where you "roll" to get an item and depending on what the computer at the time chooses what you get, it may help or not. If you liquidate these items they are not liquidated to real life currency or the coin required to purchase them in the first place. They are returned as in-game currency.
So I'm curious, who is twisting your arm to buy these crates? You are making a choice of what to do with your money, and from your description it sounds like the risk is stated so you know it's a risk.

Do we really need the government involved in a transaction where someone tells you "it's a gamble, you'll always get something but there's only a one-in-ten chance it'll be something you really want" - and you *choose* to take the gamble anyways?

K@th

Re: Created a Petition on the White House Website to stop targeted in-game gambling (loot boxes)

Post by K@th » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 pm

So you want to ban baseball cards & trading cards, too?
Account abandoned.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Kath wrote:So you want to ban baseball cards & trading cards, too?
Not the same thing and you know it, they can be traded for real money.
#NotOneRedCent

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:16 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Not the same thing and you know it, they can be traded for real money.
You know how I don't buy things I don't want? I don't buy them. Lol.

It will work for you, too. I promise.
Account abandoned.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Ph64 wrote:
The Conservative wrote: These loot crates say you can get a specific quality of character, but it says nothing about a specific character or weapon, etc... You take a risk spending real money on a non-real product which may (more likely not) help you out with the game. This isn't like Blizzard with World Of Warcraft or Heroes of the Storm in where you buy characters, weapons, or items with real money.

These loot crates have an algorithm in where you "roll" to get an item and depending on what the computer at the time chooses what you get, it may help or not. If you liquidate these items they are not liquidated to real life currency or the coin required to purchase them in the first place. They are returned as in-game currency.
So I'm curious, who is twisting your arm to buy these crates? You are making a choice of what to do with your money, and from your description it sounds like the risk is stated so you know it's a risk.

Do we really need the government involved in a transaction where someone tells you "it's a gamble, you'll always get something but there's only a one-in-ten chance it'll be something you really want" - and you *choose* to take the gamble anyways?
Again, I'm not buying these crates, but when the gaming community themselves know that loot crates are nothing short of gambling, don't you think there is an issue?
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Already said I don't buy them, and explained why a while back... I also just responded why I think it's an issue.
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm

No.
The gaming community is pretty stupid so what “they know” doesn’t amount to much.
You should see the ridiculous petitions they file.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:23 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Ph64 wrote:

Again, I'm not buying these crates, but when the gaming community themselves know that loot crates are nothing short of gambling, don't you think there is an issue?
If the community knows they are nothing short of gambling, and they don't want to gamble, then they wouldn't be buying them right? I don't see an issue. As long as the company tells you it's a crap shoot, and community knows it's a crap shoot, then what business is it of yours, or the government's, what they do with their money?

Lots of people spend lots of money on scratch-offs and lottery tickets, shit I've seen people spend 30% of their pay on that shit - I think it's stupid, but the odds are plainly stated, it's their choice to make.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 pm

DBTrek wrote:No.
The gaming community is pretty stupid so what “they know” doesn’t amount to much.
You should see the ridiculous petitions they file.
Yeah, I've seen them and ignored most, but what I've seen is a degradation of quality and an increase of overall greed in games. I know you don't want to support them, don't buy them. In many cases, I don't, but when they take a series I've been following for a decade+ and bastardize it, it's not as easy to do as it should be.

I play a lot of single-player games, and games today are running away from that because they want the quick buck and droves of sheeple will spend boku bucks on multiplayer games that have no real purpose it seems.

It's why I won't buy games like CoD or others of the sort anymore...

As for games though, I still have my old floppies/CDs of games and run them once in a while just to play the games that are no longer supported or active because their companies have been eaten up by larger ones... such as Lionshead and Bullfrog.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Ph64 wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Ph64 wrote:

If the community knows they are nothing short of gambling, and they don't want to gamble, then they wouldn't be buying them right? I don't see an issue. As long as the company tells you it's a crap shoot, and community knows it's a crap shoot, then what business is it of yours, or the government's, what they do with their money?

Lots of people spend lots of money on scratch-offs and lottery tickets, shit I've seen people spend 30% of their pay on that shit - I think it's stupid, but the odds are plainly stated, it's their choice to make.
The scratch tickets are only purchasable by adults... your argument is null and void. And if you noticed I said, children and vulnerable people... this means children and people who don't know better. Again, laws will not affect the majority of people, this is more to reign in corporations abusing a system they designed.
#NotOneRedCent