HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

heydaralon

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:I'm aware of the Conquest series. I've listened to all of it. His delivery isn't there IMO. And its not his best one, but its such a great story overall that it almost doesn't matter even if he isn't presenting it in the best way or as good as Dan would. Hard to mess up an epic like that. Its been decently done IMO but not great. The story is great but its not b/c of him telling it.
I think Dan's delivery has gone down though. Peak Carlin is the Death Throes of the Republic series. He has never reached that level of quality again in my opinion. I still enjoy his shows, but he has not matched that series. I'm pretty bummed out about that.
Lies. Wrath of Khans and Blueprint for Armageddon are the best podcasts I've ever heard.
Them's fighting words...
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:32 am

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
I think Dan's delivery has gone down though. Peak Carlin is the Death Throes of the Republic series. He has never reached that level of quality again in my opinion. I still enjoy his shows, but he has not matched that series. I'm pretty bummed out about that.
Lies. Wrath of Khans and Blueprint for Armageddon are the best podcasts I've ever heard.
Them's fighting words...

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:I'm aware of the Conquest series. I've listened to all of it. His delivery isn't there IMO. And its not his best one, but its such a great story overall that it almost doesn't matter even if he isn't presenting it in the best way or as good as Dan would. Hard to mess up an epic like that. Its been decently done IMO but not great. The story is great but its not b/c of him telling it.
I think he was there with BluePrint as well. King of Kings took a hit. Destroyer of Worlds was a longer Logical Insanity and here we are.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
I think he was there with BluePrint as well. King of Kings took a hit. Destroyer of Worlds was a longer Logical Insanity and here we are.
Look, I'm just trying to help Tortellini man out. He doesn't speak English well, but he's giving it his best shot. You guys are just being mean. And Death Throes is the best of all time.
Shikata ga nai

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 am

heydaralon wrote:I get what you guys are saying. I used to be bugged by the accent, but now I kind of dig it.
Same. I quit dan a while ago.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:44 am

I think it's because he agreed to a faster timetable because of the sponsor. He needs to stop that. You can notice the difference in the conquest series.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm

best delivery is GotO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm

The Air You Breathe Is Full of Surprises
The gases in the air around us are unseen but their influence is surprisingly visible. For instance, did you know that, right now, you are probably inhaling the air from Julius Caesar’s last gasp in A.D. 44? Or that poison gases inspired Einstein to invent a refrigerator? Or that a man became the toast of turn-of-the-century Paris by controlling his own farts?

These are some of the fascinating details that science writer Sam Kean packs into his new book, Caesar’s Last Breath. When National Geographic caught up with Kean at his home in Washington, D.C., he explained why analyzing the gases in the atmospheres of other planets will be the best way of finding intelligent life; how a German physicist created the gas warfare that killed thousands in World War I and continues to do so in Syria today; and why releasing sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere may be the best way of reducing global warming.

The idea that we might still be inhaling the last breath exhaled by Caesar as he lay dying is a cute conceit for a book title. But there’s no science to it, is there?

As far as we can tell, it is a legitimate idea. It’s sort of an inevitable consequence of a) how many molecules you breathe in every time you take a breath and b) how long those molecules persist in our atmosphere. It’s not a guarantee that every single breath you’re going to get one. But, on average, it’s inevitable that you’re going to inhale some of those same molecules over the course of a day.

At standard room temperature and pressure, you’re breathing in roughly 25 sextillion molecules every time you take a breath. That’s 25 with 21 zeroes behind it. That’s a gargantuan number! If you took every human being alive today on the planet—all 7 billion of us—and imagined each one having 7 billion descendants, 7 billion times 7 billion, you’d still be 500 times short of that number. And you inhale that every time you take a breath.

When Caesar exhaled that last breath, all those molecules got spread across the Earth, first in a band of prevailing winds around the same latitude as Italy, then over the northern hemisphere. In the course of about two years, given air currents and circulation, it would probably have spread across the entire world.
This seemed appropriate to post on this thread--something that we don't think about too much that connects us to our past.

You could take this a step further, though, I suppose, since the matter that makes up our bodies has presumably been around since the beginning of time. How's that for being connected to the universe? ;)

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Actually, all of the atoms in you except Hydrogen, were formed inside a nova explosion. You are made of stars.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Actually, all of the atoms in you except Hydrogen, were formed inside a nova explosion. You are made of stars.

Helium was a big bang product as well.

lithium, beryllium and boron cannot be made by stars through fusion. They are made, I think, from cosmic radiation breaking up larger atoms. I sucked at chemistry, though, so don't quote me on it. I just know there are three you can't reach through fusion.