Another School Shooting

Fife

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 am

DrYouth wrote:
Fife wrote:All real Americans detest the very idea of a standing domestic army; and the Federalists were willing to throw up some window-dressing on such an obvious concept to get a deal done; hence the 2nd A (and the 3rd; and others, but I digress). Not rocket science.
So to negotiate with the local warlords the state allowed constitutional access to weapons...
But your point is, in part, that this was not a real concession to warlords... just window dressing to seal the deal...
I have no idea what negotiation you are talking about. I'm talking about the Constitutional Convention and the deal making during and after.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

Give this image a think; let it sink in for a minute.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:07 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:You didn't think it through. The reality is that you get the government that you get. What exactly are you going to do if they take away your parliament??
What people have always done...
Band together and demand change.
It isn't necessary for every citizen have an unassailable right to bear arms for this to happen.
Making firearms available to those citizens that have demonstrated fitness to bear arms is plenty enough...
In Canada that includes a lot of people... but definitely not everyone... our standards are higher about who had demonstrated fitness.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:13 am

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:You didn't think it through. The reality is that you get the government that you get. What exactly are you going to do if they take away your parliament??
What people have always done...
Band together and demand change.
It isn't necessary for every citizen have an unassailable right to bear arms for this to happen.
Making firearms available to those citizens that have demonstrated fitness to bear arms is plenty enough...
In Canada that includes a lot of people... but definitely not everyone... our standards are higher about who had demonstrated fitness.

Okay. I want you to scenario this out in your mind. You guys gather together in a protest to "demand change". Your armed overlords shoot you. What's next?

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:16 am

Fife wrote:Give this image a think; let it sink in for a minute.
Let it sink.... still shocked at the honesty from government.
Account abandoned.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Okay. I want you to scenario this out in your mind. You guys gather together in a protest to "demand change". Your armed overlords shoot you. What's next?
Your militia scenario doesn't change much on that front.
If they shoot protestors... it's a very small step to putting down an armed militia.

Liberty is not created by gangs of militia...

Most free nations haven't negotiated their freedom by maintaining armed gangs of militia....

The US is probably the exception here.... everywhere else armed militia has not been a recipe for liberty.... and I doubt it was the active ingredient in the US case either... probably more of a Red Herring... but I reserve the right to be convinced otherwise.

Representative Parliament, Free Judiciary, Rule of Law, Freedom of speech and assembly, Property Rights, Respect for Markets ... most definitely ... not armed militia
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am

DrYouth wrote:
Liberty is not created by gangs of militia...

It literally was created by gangs of militia.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 am

I would even go so far as to propose that maximal self-government is proportionate to the ratio of militia to state military/police.

The problem here is not guns and gun ownership, but the fact that a large percentage of people hate the idea of self-government because of the responsibility and sacrifice it entails.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 am

Just showed up on my FB feed
Marco Rubio wrote:The debate after Parkland reminds us We The People don’t really like each other very much. We smear those who refuse to agree with us. We claim a Judeo-Christian heritage but celebrate arrogance and boasting. And worst of all we have infected the next generation with the same disease. Our political dialogue is nasty in no small part because conflict and outrage translates to clicks and ratings for media and gets obscure figures booked on TV.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33 am

Kath wrote:Just showed up on my FB feed
Marco Rubio wrote:The debate after Parkland reminds us We The People don’t really like each other very much. We smear those who refuse to agree with us. We claim a Judeo-Christian heritage but celebrate arrogance and boasting. And worst of all we have infected the next generation with the same disease. Our political dialogue is nasty in no small part because conflict and outrage translates to clicks and ratings for media and gets obscure figures booked on TV.

Be sure to thumbs up Marco "small hands" Rubio, then.