Star Trek Discovery

Penner

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Penner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm

StCapps wrote:
Penner wrote:But Voyager really did overplayed The Borg, in my opinion.

They had to, they didn't really have any other good material. Without the Borg episodes Voyager would have been pretty lame.
I would say that some of the Voyager's Borg episodes were also lame. Although, Season 5's Dark Frontier was good, really good.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Penner wrote:I would say that some of the Voyager's Borg episodes were also lame. Although, Season 5's Dark Frontier was good, really good.
Well one or two were lame, but the rest were pretty good. They went to the well a few too many times, the real problem with Voyager is they killed off crew conflict after the first season, that was real squandered opportunity. DS9 didn't do that, and they reaped the benefits.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Penner wrote:
That's what I'm talking about. :) Subscribed, and binging now.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
LVH2 wrote:If we started dealing with lots of aliens from different planets, I think we would probably become globalized as on the show and every other sci fi scenario I've seen. We'd redefine our tribe.

How that would actually happen is an interesting question.

Also, I think Star Trek tech might tend to make us more globalized, rather than the idea being that globalization leads to the tech. Let's say nobody needed fossil fuels and everyone could have excellent food and medical care about as easily as they can now listen to a radio. There would be a lot less to fight over, fewer refugees, less concern over refugees, etc.

I think you lost touch with your nature. You are a nuclear weapons wielding hominid. Globalism and hominids don't mix. If we can bump into some aliens, we can direct our tribalism towards those guys, but we still break down into gangs and factions regardless.

Star Trek future is a sham. Embrace you inner nuclear primate.
You're probably right. Anyway, if two peoples from different planets came into contact, the chances that they'd be even remotely equal in tech are really small. So, it would be like Euros carving up the Americas.

Though, on the other hand, the specific scenario in Trek is that a benevolent, technologically superior race contacts us. I think we're brought along rather slowly. Maybe over a few generations, more people would come to see themselves just as humans, as contrasted with Vulcans and the lot. Not that the old divisions would vanish (and the don't totally vanish in Trek), but they might fade.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Most of the space fantasy lefty propaganda to that effect revolves around various kinds of "Earth first" groups. It's usually transparent and fucking dumb. As in.. every single time.. their bigoted straw men Earth firsters make more sense than the premise of the whole show.

BSG reboot was actual SF and it's nationalist standins were fucking awesome.

Star Trek is just usually dumb. It's hard to get past the ham-fisted attempt at indoctrinating people into cultural marxism and globalism. That's all it really is. It's just propaganda for the most part. Most episodes have some programming message to reinforce the globalist worldview that everybody is really the same and anybody who wants to maintain differences and boundaries is a "bigot", etc. If only we all embraced this globalist worldview, we'll have spaceships and replicators, and we can bang hot green chicks with tails too.

I prefer actual science fiction that is more bleak and realistic.
Indoctrinate. Come on, now, calm your tits between two jerks for the white Lebensraum.

Klingons are very different, so are Rumulans, Tholians, Ferengi i could go on for pages...

Yes humanity is united but you do not see Hijab celebrated or other bs liek that.

StCapps wrote:
Penner wrote:I would say that some of the Voyager's Borg episodes were also lame. Although, Season 5's Dark Frontier was good, really good.
Well one or two were lame, but the rest were pretty good. They went to the well a few too many times, the real problem with Voyager is they killed off crew conflict after the first season, that was real squandered opportunity. DS9 didn't do that, and they reaped the benefits.
Voyager had like a zillion other problems...

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:47 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:Voyager had like a zillion other problems...
Well it's the worst Trek series for a reason.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

LVH2 wrote:
LVH2 wrote:If we started dealing with lots of aliens from different planets, I think we would probably become globalized as on the show and every other sci fi scenario I've seen. We'd redefine our tribe.

How that would actually happen is an interesting question.

Also, I think Star Trek tech might tend to make us more globalized, rather than the idea being that globalization leads to the tech. Let's say nobody needed fossil fuels and everyone could have excellent food and medical care about as easily as they can now listen to a radio. There would be a lot less to fight over, fewer refugees, less concern over refugees, etc.

I think you lost touch with your nature. You are a nuclear weapons wielding hominid. Globalism and hominids don't mix. If we can bump into some aliens, we can direct our tribalism towards those guys, but we still break down into gangs and factions regardless.

You're probably right. Anyway, if two peoples from different planets came into contact, the chances that they'd be even remotely equal in tech are really small. So, it would be like Euros carving up the Americas.

Though, on the other hand, the specific scenario in Trek is that a benevolent, technologically superior race contacts us. I think we're brought along rather slowly. Maybe over a few generations, more people would come to see themselves just as humans, as contrasted with Vulcans and the lot. Not that the old divisions would vanish (and the don't totally vanish in Trek), but they might fade.

We always think of what happened in the Americas in that context but, most of the time in our history, it worked the other way: the more primitive peoples came to dominate the more sophisticated peoples. I think it could go either way. It depends upon the nature and disposition of the other species.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

LVH2 wrote:

We always think of what happened in the Americas in that context but, most of the time in our history, it worked the other way: the more primitive peoples came to dominate the more sophisticated peoples. I think it could go either way. It depends upon the nature and disposition of the other species.
Can you provide one example of that happening?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0