White to move

Alexander PhiAlipson

Re: White to move

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 am

Martin Hash wrote:Did someone say "pawn takes rook" and I missed it?
Yes.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Except F-5 couldn't possibly be black's last move since the bishop is behind the pawn.

On reflection, the only real hope is probably to capture D-5, then sacrifice D-4 (assuming black pulls back the rook to block) to make space for the white king to get behind the line... still a long shot.
Right again, but still no joy.
We have to make some well-founded assumptions:
1) If there were an en passant opportunity for white, it would have been announced along with "White to Move;"
2) Black couldn't possibly be up by 13 points (two rooks and a bishop) and yet be an utter fool;
3) Black's last move must've been a5, trying to entice the capture to bring down White's pawn structure.
Black's only hope of winning is to get White to move something other than its king. There's no long shot for white.
If cxd (en passant); a7.
White's king cannot help and now Black has an open file.
It is assumption 2 that I am working with... black may have gotten absurdly lucky, but is about to blow it... you never know.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:48 am

White should force a stalemate, that's half a point; better than nothing if that wall is broken.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:55 am

Martin Hash wrote:White should force a stalemate, that's half a point; better than nothing if that wall is broken.
Bull crap! It is a boring set up if there is no possible en passant move.

If there isn't one, then force black to draw by pulling back the rook after white king moves to C-3. That will prove black doesn't have the heart to take it to the end, which is a moral victory for white.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:... black may have gotten absurdly lucky, but is about to blow it... you never know.
Lucky? Was Black dealt a royal straight flush? Does Black keep getting good dice rolls?
Many consider starting off with the White pieces--moving first--to be the only real luck in the game.
If I had the Black pieces, I'd have moved that rook then bust out the--"OMG! I can't believe I did that! Can I take that back?"
:snicker:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:00 am

Then, unless black makes a mistake, white loses. White can at best force a draw.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:03 am

I'd have to read the rules, it's been a long time, but I think both players have to agree to a draw? If this is a computer game, then White needs to repeat a single move while Black performs all-possible combinations for a stalemate, of which there are obviously so many it would take a computer.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am

Martin Hash wrote:I'd have to read the rules, it's been a long time, but I think both players have to agree to a draw? If this is a computer game, then White needs to repeat a single move while Black performs all-possible combinations for a stalemate, of which there are obviously so many it would take a computer.

If they repeat a configuration three times it's a draw.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Then, unless black makes a mistake, white loses. White can at best force a draw.
Assuming Black is a player intent on winning, otherwise White's pawn Queens then wins.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:05 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

Assuming Black is a player intent on winning, otherwise White's pawn Queens then wins.

Negative. The other rook takes that pawn.