SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Montegriffo

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:26 pm

I had to stand up and speak at his funeral, my sister couldn't do it. There were only 4 of us there, my French friend who had volunteered to come along and help us with the red tape and dad's estranged wife who was a hot mess and not much use for anything.
I didn't get far into my eulogy before I just started bawling.
We played him out to Louis Armstrong with a Union Flag draped over his coffin and a wicker owl on top. He had a thing about owls and the house was full of owl ornaments. I kept the marble owl we got on our trip to a quarry just outside Pisa when I was about 9.
There was a flag pole he'd put up in the front garden of the house and the first thing I did was hoist the Union flag up to half-mast which made the mayor cry when he came to visit us and saw it. Unfortunately, we were out when he came round but he told us later, he had a soft spot for dad.

Last edited by Montegriffo on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:26 pm

I didn't get far into my eulogy before I just started bawling.
I had tears running down my face, so did all the troops, but I executed the mission like a Boss

He would have been proud, everybody knew

RCR Battleschool Instructor ; well prepared for such occasions
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:36 pm

He really wanted this song to be played at his funeral but I couldn't get a copy of it on a CD in time. We processed around the garden to it on my laptop when we got back to the house and sprinkled some of his ashes on the rose bushes he'd planted the year before.
He wanted a happy send off and I did my best but it was difficult.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:39 pm

There is one thing I realized tho, after awhile after he died

While he was alive, I was just living for my father

It was only after he died that I started living for myself

That's really when I launched towards the destination of Marty Hash Lifestyle

Which he would not be opposed to, he would be overjoyed
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Dad always instilled in me the need to be independent and live the life I wanted. I didn't have to emulate him to make him proud I had to be me and he was proud of that. He never criticised my ''alternative'' lifestyle. In the end he bought himself a posh camper and kinda copied me.
I was always mummy's boy really and my sister was daddy's little girl but in the end dad and I were friends and we got along well because we didn't judge each other. My sister still judges him and deep down I think she was a bit disappointed in him whereas I thank him for all the things he taught me to appreciate like history, science and cheering on GB in the Olympic games.

The last time I spoke to him was from a phone box outside the army camp I was working in and I shovelled in a fortune in coins chatting to him about our successes in the Bejing Olympics.
I really wanted to take him along to the London Olympics but he died a few months after Bejing.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:50 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Dad always instilled in me the need to be independent and live the life I wanted. I didn't have to emulate him to make him proud I had to be me and he was proud of that. He never criticised my ''alternative'' lifestyle. In the end he bought himself a posh camper and kinda copied me.
I was always mummy's boy really and my sister was daddy's little girl but in the end dad and I were friends and we got along well because we didn't judge each other. My sister still judges him and deep down I think she was a bit disappointed in him whereas I thank him for all the things he taught me to appreciate like history, science and cheering on GB in the Olympic games.
I'm a mommas boy, my relationship with her is just different

More traditional, she's not my friend, she's not my buddy, she's my Ma

She's a country girl, and she's fierce, so I never messed with her
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:54 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Same here, it's heartbreaking to watch her lose her memory but she still has a sparkle in her eye, a smile on her face and a heart full of love.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:54 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Same here, it's heartbreaking to watch her lose her memory but she still has a sparkle in her eye, a smile on her face and a heart full of love.
Speak of the devil, she just called me, I better call her back . . .
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Don't mess with those country girls!
(If ya don't wanna go to fist city)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:07 pm