SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Smitty-48

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:53 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:45 am
Fuck yeah Crave TV with the HBO, now you can watch Boardwalk Empire and get your Prohibition Scofflaw on, once you get out of the Gen X latchkey babysitter mood, I'm assuming not on Easter, but eventually

You're not half a TV gangster anymore Smitty, God Bless that Godless Angel of yours
She hasn't seen it and wants to, so Boardwalk Empire is definitely in the queue

Right now I've got the PS3 going, Gran Turismo, the game that never ends

Later tonight we can do movie night, I think we're watching Glass.

There's not a ton of movies I'm interested in tho, so HBO shows are going to be in play soon

What else is good on Crave/HBO ?
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:10 am

Whoa, we're having poached eggs on avocado toast for breakfast

So Millennial

Avocado toast their only real contribution to civilization, but it deserves a hat tip
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:14 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:53 am
StCapps wrote:
Fuck yeah Crave TV with the HBO, now you can watch Boardwalk Empire and get your Prohibition Scofflaw on, once you get out of the Gen X latchkey babysitter mood, I'm assuming not on Easter, but eventually

You're not half a TV gangster anymore Smitty, God Bless that Godless Angel of yours

There's not a ton of movies I'm interested in tho, so HBO shows are going to be in play soon

Deadwood is another great period piece, best TV western ever, has some really big moments that are epic as fuck. Ian McShane is just a joy to watch every time he's on the screen, Al Swarengen FTW. Only 36 episodes, so also not huge investment time wise either, and it's in my top 10 TV drama's of all time. It didn't get a real ending because it got cancelled before it could rap it up properly, but there is Deadwood movie now to help fix that issue

The Leftovers is fantastic, but that's a real heavy show, emotionally speaking, so gotta be in the right mood for that one, it's final season is one of the best seasons in television history. Only 28 episodes, so doesn't require a huge investment time wise, and it gets better every season as the show gets lighter and lighter while still carrying that heavy emotional punch too. It's in my top 10 TV dramas of all time

Six Feet Under has the best ending in TV history. It's an early HBO dark dramedy about a family that owns a family run funeral home. It often gets overlooked because it's fairly old and it's not the most consistent show in the world, but the ending really makes up for a lot that in the end, super underrated show

I dug Treme and Show Me A Hero, both David Simon joints, the former a short three season series about New Orleans post-Catarina with many former actors from The Wire in it, and the later is a Miniseries about Public Housing that is somehow really good

Game of Thrones is the best TV fantasy show ever. It's real good in first few seasons, fades towards the end, the ending is better than haters say it is. I don't really like fantasy tv shows or movies that much, but GoT is much better than most, if being in the fantasy genre wasn't a dealbreaker for you with LOTR, then it won't be for GoT either.

So there is six of the best TV drama's on CraveTV from HBO, just from a quick browsing of the content, aside from Boardwalk Empire of course, which most closely fits your tastes given what you've told me of your TV tastes over the years. I also left off shows I know you've already seen, for obvious reasons.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:32 am

If you ever need any TV recommendations, I am the one to ask, though heydaralon ain't bad himself
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:35 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:14 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Deadwood is another great period piece, best TV western ever, has some really big moments that are epic as fuck. Ian McShane is just a joy to watch every time he's on the screen, Al Swarengen FTW. Only 36 episodes, so also not huge investment time wise either, and it's in my top 10 TV drama's of all time. It didn't get a real ending because it got cancelled before it could rap it up properly, but there is Deadwood movie now to help fix that issue

The Leftovers is fantastic, but that's a real heavy show, emotionally speaking, so gotta be in the right mood for that one, it's final season is one of the best seasons in television history. Only 28 episodes, so doesn't require a huge investment time wise, and it gets better every season as the show gets lighter and lighter while still carrying that heavy emotional punch too. It's in my top 10 TV dramas of all time

Six Feet Under has the best ending in TV history. It's an early HBO dark dramedy about a family that owns a family run funeral home. It often gets overlooked because it's fairly old and it's not the most consistent show in the world, but the ending really makes up for a lot that in the end, super underrated show

I dug Treme and Show Me A Hero, both David Simon joints, the former a short three season series about New Orleans post-Catarina with many former actors from The Wire in it, and the later is a Miniseries about Public Housing that is somehow really good

Game of Thrones is the best TV fantasy show ever. It's real good in first few seasons, fades towards the end, the ending is better than haters say it is. I don't really like fantasy tv shows or movies that much, but GoT is much better than most, if being in the fantasy genre wasn't a dealbreaker for you with LOTR, then it won't be for GoT either.

So there is six of the best TV drama's on CraveTV from HBO, just from a quick browsing of the content, aside from Boardwalk Empire of course, which most closely fits your tastes given what you've told me of your TV tastes over the years. I also left off shows I know you've already seen, for obvious reasons.
Sounds like Boardwalk Empire is the one for me,

We've already seen Deadwood,

Treme sounds boring to me, plus I like The Wire because it's not preachy,

Otherwise I would hang that fat white guilt liberal David Simon from the lampposts

Dark dramedy; nope

Funeral homes, same thing ; nope, plus Mrs Smitty already watched it

D&D; nope
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:44 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:35 am
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:14 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

Sounds like Boardwalk Empire is the one for me,

We've already seen Deadwood,

Treme sounds boring to me, plus I like The Wire because it's not preachy,

Otherwise I would hang that fat white guilt liberal David Simon from the lampposts

Dark dramedy; nope

Funeral homes, same thing ; nope, plus Mrs Smitty already watched it

D&D; nope
Yeah Boardwalk is the one for you. Definitely watch that first.

Though I personally I still prefer The Leftovers to it, even though genre and personal taste wise Boardwalk Empire way more up my alley, but The Leftovers is just so good it overcomes all of that. You and Mrs Smitty will love the ending too, that whole final season is just so damn good, I honestly never saw it coming even though it was still really good heading into that season.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:49 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:44 am

Though I personally I still prefer The Leftovers to it, even though genre and personal taste wise Boardwalk Empire way more up my alley, but The Leftovers is just so good it overcomes all of that. You and Mrs Smitty will love the ending too, that whole final season is just so damn good, I honestly never saw it coming even though it was still really good heading into that season.
The main impediment is that upstairs we watch in the bedroom, so after a couple hours we fall asleep

Our bed is sublimely comfortable, it even knocks the Nighthawk out if I get in it

Not conducive to binge watching like it is down here in the den

That's why movie night in bed is movie night not tv night

But she definitely wants to watch Boardwalk Empire, we'll just have to watch one or two at a time
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:49 am
StCapps wrote:

The main impediment is that upstairs we watch in the bedroom, so after a couple hours we fall asleep

Our bed is sublimely comfortable, it even knocks the Nighthawk out if I get in it

But she definitely wants to watch Boardwalk Empire, we'll just have to watch one or two at a time
Well you can watch Crave TV in the den, now that you have it. So no big deal there, if you want to watch something Mrs. Smitty doesn't want to watch.

Also have you seen Mad Men yet? It's on Netflix if you haven't and Mrs. Smitty would probably love it. It's not as good as Breaking Bad, The Wire or The Sopranos, but it's the closest TV drama to them in terms of quality. I totally need to rewatch it at some point, Mad Men is so fucking good.

Babylon Berlin seems right up your alley too, a German show on Netflix set in Weimar Germany. It's basically Weimar Germany Boardwalk Empire. There is a new season out I haven't seen, but the first two seasons were great.

As for non-HBO dramas, I'd go with Billions, fantastic acting from Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis (Steve McQueen in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Dick Winters in Band of Brothers), and that show doesn't slow down for anyone, the plot is as fast paced and cutthroat as the slice of the financial and legal world that it depicts.

I've heard Deutschland-83 is good, another German show, that definitely seems right up your alley Cold Warrior, but I haven't seen it, so can't personally vouch for it, but reliable sources say it's good. If you end up watching it before I do, lemme know what you think of it

Haven't seen Oz yet, an HBO prison drama with Eddie Falco in it, before she switched over The Sopranos. Also heard it's really good, I'll get around to watching it eventually, I'm sure
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Well you can watch Crave TV in the den, now that you have it. So no big deal there, if you want to watch something Mrs. Smitty doesn't want to watch.

Also have seen Mad Men yet? It's on Netflix if you haven't and Mrs. Smitty would probably love it. It's not as good as Breaking Bad, The Wire or The Sopranos, but it's the closest TV drama to them in terms of quality. I totally need to rewatch it at some point, Mad Men is so fucking good.

Babylon Berlin seems right up your alley too, a German show on Netflix set in Weimar Germany. It's basically Weimar Germany Boardwalk Empire. There is a new season out I haven't seen, but the first two seasons were great.

As for non-HBO dramas, I'd go with Billions, fantastic acting from Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis (Steve McQueen in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Dick Winters in Band of Brothers), and that show doesn't slow down for anyone, the plot is as face paced and cutthroat as the slice of the financial and legal world that it depicts.

I've heard Deutschland-83 is good, another German show, that definitely seems right your alley Cold Warrior, but I haven't seen it, so can't personally vouch for it, but reliable sources say it's good. If you end up watching it before I do, lemme know what you think of it

Haven't seen Oz yet, and HBO prison drama with Eddie Falco in it before she switched over The Sopranos. Also heard it's really good, I'll get around to watching it eventually, I'm sure
No, it's not hooked up in the den, there is no Roku down here, down here there is only Netflix through Samsung

I don't have Roku down here because this tv only has two HDMI and one is cable and the other is PS3

Mrs Smitty watched Mad Men, I watched I bit over her shoulder, meh, not really my bag

Babylon Berlin she watched already, I haven't got around to it, prolly never will

Billions I might watch, but prolly not

Oz I watched a bit of, not really my bag

Honestly, mostly I watch sports, unless it's like the Sopranos, I'm not really into tv

It will probably take me the rest of this war just to get through Boardwalk Empire
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:15 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 am
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

Also have seen Mad Men yet? It's on Netflix if you haven't and Mrs. Smitty would probably love it. It's not as good as Breaking Bad, The Wire or The Sopranos, but it's the closest TV drama to them in terms of quality. I totally need to rewatch it at some point, Mad Men is so fucking good.

As for non-HBO dramas, I'd go with Billions, fantastic acting from Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis (Steve McQueen in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Dick Winters in Band of Brothers), and that show doesn't slow down for anyone, the plot is as face paced and cutthroat as the slice of the financial and legal world that it depicts.

I've heard Deutschland-83 is good, another German show, that definitely seems right your alley Cold Warrior, but I haven't seen it, so can't personally vouch for it, but reliable sources say it's good. If you end up watching it before I do, lemme know what you think of it

Haven't seen Oz yet, and HBO prison drama with Eddie Falco in it before she switched over The Sopranos. Also heard it's really good, I'll get around to watching it eventually, I'm sure
No, it's not hooked up in the den, there is no Roku down here, down here there is only Netflix through Samsung

I don't have Roku down here because this tv only has two HDMI and one is cable and the other is PS3

Mrs Smitty watched Mad Men, I watched I bit over her shoulder, meh, not really my bag

Babylon Berlin she watched already, I haven't got around to it, prolly never will

Billions I might watch, but prolly not

Oz I watched a bit of, not really my bag

Honestly, mostly I watch sports, unless it's like the Sopranos, I'm not really into tv
Even so, if you are looking for something new to watch and can't think of anything, give one of my recommendations a try, even if they don't seem like something you'd like, they just might surprise you, many of them surprised me. Try the one's closest to your tastes first, and then work from there, if you can't remember any of them until after you've seen Boardwalk, just ask again.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*