Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:44 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 pm
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:40 pm

I don't focus on it, I am prepped for a depression, hedged for a depression, no need to track it from there

If it turns out to be shorter and milder, fine by me, but that doesn't alter my position

What South Korea does I pay zero attention to because I know it's not a proxy for Canada /shrugs
It isn't a proxy for Canada, but Canada stealing some of their better strategies when feasible is totally do able, even if they choose not to do it
Fuck Canada /shrugs
Indeed, not sure why you are so dismissive of South Korea doing a better job than most, and there being a few things to learn from their example

You don't want to focus on it, fine, never said you should

The emotional reaction to ever bringing it up is strange though, especially since you are fine with talking about the big picture in other circumstances without it diminishing from your perpetual good mood in any way
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:51 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:44 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
It isn't a proxy for Canada, but Canada stealing some of their better strategies when feasible is totally do able, even if they choose not to do it
Fuck Canada /shrugs
Indeed, not sure why you are so dismissive of South Korea doing a better job than most, and there being a few things to learn from their example

You don't want to focus on it, fine, never said you should, but the emotional reaction to ever bringing it up is strange
I don't live in South Korea, the war will be different here, I just deal with what is right in front of me

Since I'm on the sidelines in the markets, there's no reason for me to watch the news at all right now

And I don't, I'm all about the music right now, I'm not even watching tv beyong Gen X Latchkey Babysitter

All I know is that I am not leaving my coumpound and woods anytime soon even if they lift all the restrictions

Mrs Smitty doesn't want to kill me, so she's not going back to the office anytime soon neither

She is so sought after right now, she could quit and work as a consultant from home for the competition

So she pretty much tells them what she is going to do, not the other way round
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:51 pm
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Fuck Canada /shrugs

You don't want to focus on it, fine, never said you should, but the emotional reaction to ever bringing it up is strange
I don't live in South Korea, the war will be different here, I just deal with what is right in front of me

Since I'm on the sidelines in the markets, there's no reason for me to watch the news at all right now

And I don't, I'm all about the music right now, I'm not even watching tv beyong Gen X Latchkey Babysitter

All I know is that I am not leaving my coumpound and woods anytime soon even if they lift all the restrictions

Mrs Smitty doesn't want to kill me, so she's not going back to the office anytime soon neither

She is so sought after right now, she could quit and work as a consultant from home for the competition

Might as well stay in compound, but lifting many of the restrictions incrementally post-peak is also wise

One size does not fit all, what you and your wife should do, and what the government should do, are two completely separate things entirely, and I never conflated the two
*yip*

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 pm

Reason why emulating South Korea's strategy would not go well with most Western, democratic countries:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus ... nce-134068
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:57 pm

BjornP wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 pm
Reason why emulating South Korea's strategy would not go well with most Western, democratic countries:

The mass surveillance part doesn't need to be adopted, taking necessary precautions combined with testing and isolating the vulnerable without the destroying the economy would be a wise approach

You steal what works and can be feasibly implemented, and you ditch the anti-4th amendment shit, problem solved
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Might as well stay in compound, but lifting many of the restrictions incrementally post-peak is also wise

One size does not fit all, what you and your wife should do, and what the government should do, are two completely separate things entirely, and I never conflated the two
All I care about is my op now

The flailing government flailing about in the background, not my problem, not interested

I just look at the bug, this is life & death now, the government is neither here nor there

Same for Mrs Smitty, I think there about a 75% chance right now she never goes back to the office

Not full retirement, but moving into consulting with her knowledge and doing so from home

What this crisis is proving is that Mrs Smitty doesn't need to leave her home office to generate the income
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 pm
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

The flailing government flailing about in the background, not my problem, not interested

I just look at the bug, this is life & death now, the government is neither here nor there

Same for Mrs Smitty, I think there about a 75% chance right now she never goes back to the office

Not full retirement, but moving into consulting with her knowledge and doing so from home

What this crisis is proving is that Mrs Smitty doesn't need to leave her home office to generate the income anymore
I care about my op, the flailing government flailing about in the background isn't my problem, but I am interested, lots of lulz to be had

The government is neither here nor there, but they are still hilarious

Mrs Smitty working from home is your dream come true, and it's really starting to grow on her

I am happy for you both, never said y'all should give that up, during coronavirus or after, is neither here nor there
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:08 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:

What this crisis is proving is that Mrs Smitty doesn't need to leave her home office to generate the income anymore
I care about my op, the flailing government flailing about in the background isn't my problem, but I am interested, lots of lulz to be had

Mrs Smitty working from home is your dream come true, and it's really starting to grow on her

I am happy for you both, never said y'all should give that up, during coronavirus or after, is neither here nor there
Frankly, she's just deathly afraid of the bug, and rightly so

She would go back to an office, if there is no bug,

but I can't see her leaving the compound in the face of this bug now

So it's more about prioritizing life & death ahead of work than it is a desire to retire right now
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:10 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:08 pm
StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Frankly, she's just deathly afraid of the bug, and rightly so

She would go back to an office, if there is no bug,

but I can't see her leaving the compound in the face of this bug now

So it's more about prioritizing life & death ahead of work than it is a desire to retire right now
She might change her mind after getting a little more used to working from home and growing to like it more and more, the bug will probably last long enough for her to get to that point, but if not you'll probably get to enjoy it for around a year at least
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:11 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:57 pm
BjornP wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 pm

The mass surveillance part doesn't need to be adopted, taking necessary precautions combined with testing and isolating the vulnerable without the destroying the economy would be a wise approach

You steal what works and can be feasibly implemented, and you ditch the anti-4th amendment shit, problem solved
I don't know, SK's testing is targetted, specified, using surveillance of credit card transactions and phone use data. That means they don't have to test everyone in the country. Without surveillance data, you would need to test everyone, rather than those in high risk zones.

But there could be a middle ground. Don't need to institute a giant survelliance network to look up a citizen's place of employment. If they work in healthcare, for example, they're naturally at higher risk of infection. Same with people who work in customer service positions that are still open - like grocery store employees. And people in jobs where alot of employees congregate, like Amazon package centers and the like.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.