Favorite Quotes

doc_loliday

Re: Quotes

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:45 am
"You have to be trusted, by the people that you lie to, so that when they turn their backs on you, you get the chance to stick the knife in." - Pink Floyd in "Dogs"

Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.

Waters and Gilmore needed each other.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:27 am

“Satan, on the contrary, is thin, ascetic and a fanatical devotee of logic. He reads Machiavelli, Ignatius of Loyola, Marx and Hegel; he is cold and unmerciful to mankind, out of a kind of mathematical mercifulness. He is damned always to do that which is most repugnant to him: to become a slaughterer, in order to abolish slaughtering, to sacrifice lambs so that no more lambs may be slaughtered, to whip people with knouts so that they may learn not to let themselves be whipped, to strip himself of every scruple in the name of a higher scrupulousness, and to challenge the hatred of mankind because of his love for it - an abstract and geometric love.”

~ Arthur Koestler, Darkness at Noon
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:27 am
“Satan, on the contrary, is thin, ascetic and a fanatical devotee of logic. He reads Machiavelli, Ignatius of Loyola, Marx and Hegel; he is cold and unmerciful to mankind, out of a kind of mathematical mercifulness. He is damned always to do that which is most repugnant to him: to become a slaughterer, in order to abolish slaughtering, to sacrifice lambs so that no more lambs may be slaughtered, to whip people with knouts so that they may learn not to let themselves be whipped, to strip himself of every scruple in the name of a higher scrupulousness, and to challenge the hatred of mankind because of his love for it - an abstract and geometric love.”

Great book. Koestler's life is fairly interesting, and would make a great movie, including the tragic suicide with his wife. Its a good thing he lived before #metoo, because he would have been burned at the stake.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:53 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

Great book. Koestler's life is fairly interesting, and would make a great movie, including the tragic suicide with his wife. Its a good thing he lived before #metoo, because he would have been burned at the stake.
You are well read, not many know of Nicholas Salmanovitch Rubashov in this day and age.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:53 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

You are well read, not many know of Nicholas Salmanovitch Rubashov in this day and age.
I assumed that one was a classic. My dad read it when he was a kid. Pretty sure I got my copy from him.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:53 pm
heydaralon wrote:

I assumed that one was a classic. My dad read it when he was a kid. Pretty sure I got my copy from him.
Me too. I inherited my copy from my Da. Was a classic back in the day, but you don't see it on the shelves now,
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm

I didn't actually quote it for Rubashov though, more as a treatise on the nature of the fallen Archangel, in of himself. The road to Hell paved with his corrective intentions. All temperance leads to hachetation.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm
I didn't actually quote it for Rubashov though, more as a treatise on the nature of the fallen Archangel, in of himself. The road to Hell paved with his corrective intentions. All temperance leads to hachetation.
You ever read Kolyma Tales? Probably my favorite Soviet Union book. Kind of like Catch-22 meets Gulag.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:44 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm
You ever read Kolyma Tales? Probably my favorite Soviet Union book. Kind of like Catch-22 meets Gulag.
No I haven't read it. The Wall came down, the Soviets went away, I moved on to other things.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm

“The search for the ultimate foundation is as much an unremovable part of European culture as is the denial of the legitimacy of this search.”
― Leszek Kołakowski
Shikata ga nai