Investing Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Real Estate, Whatever)

Zlaxer

Re: Investing Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Real Estate, Whatever)

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:29 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:31 am
Zlaxer wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:40 am
Hastur wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:20 am

You can borrow the same thing two times. That is no mystery. I can borrow your car and sell it. Then borrow it from the new owner and sell it again. Now I owe two people the same car.
It's stupid but not impossible.

No - you can’t sell what you don’t own unless you have agent authority from owner - original owner would have to approve double sale - Pretty sire stocks have prohibitions against that - so it’s probably illegal.
If you short a stock, you borrow it to sell it. Duh. If you buy a stock that has been borrowed you can do whatever you want with it. It's yours. You can even lend it to the guy you bought it from. Where am I wrong?

You get authority from true owner to borrow and sell once - I suspect there are terms in the governing agreement that you can’t short twice - could be wrong.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 am

Well, the fact that multiple stocks are shorted over 100% indicates to me that it clearly *can* be done, whatever the reasoning behind it. It also leads to a situation where you have people promising to return more stock than exists at a future date. If the company isn't issuing any new stock in the interim, they're going to have to buy and return the same shares more than once. Unless, of course, the company crashes and burns, which is exactly what the hedge funds were counting on.

That's all the plebs needed to know - the big players had to buy and return 150% of all GME stock in the future.
Congress is wasting time "investigating" what happened.
We all know what happened.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:14 pm

Another 1.9T bill on the horizon - how are governments keeping silver and gold prices from exploding? :think:

Are we at WWII levels of debt yet?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:32 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:14 pm
Another 1.9T bill on the horizon - how are governments keeping silver and gold prices from exploding? :think:

Far beyond them actually.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Zlaxer wrote:

Funneling it to Bitcoin?
:think:

My guess is that gold and silver are driven by supply and demand, like any other commodity. If the dollar is losing value, but people are spending all their cash on shoes, TVs, new phones, real estate, and crypto - then metals aren't going to move. People have to buy the metals. Not just a short rush on silver to wipe out local retailers like we have now. They gotta buy that silver we still know is in the ground (which is quiiiiiiiiite a bit), and no one is actively mining because it's not worth it yet.

Then there are futures contracts, which can also be used to mess with prices by alleviating actual shortages by promising more silver supply in the "future".

But I'm not well versed enough in commodity futures to know all the ins and outs of how they work.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm
Zlaxer wrote:

Funneling it to Bitcoin?

My guess is that gold and silver are driven by supply and demand, like any other commodity. If the dollar is losing value, but people are spending all their cash on shoes, TVs, new phones, real estate, and crypto - then metals aren't going to move. People have to buy the metals. Not just a short rush on silver to wipe out local retailers like we have now. They gotta buy that silver we still know is in the ground (which is quiiiiiiiiite a bit), and no one is actively mining because it's not worth it yet.

Then there are futures contracts, which can also be used to mess with prices by alleviating actual shortages by promising more silver supply in the "future".

But I'm not well versed enough in commodity futures to know all the ins and outs of how they work.
Gold price definitely is NOT controlled by supply & demand; there is an exchange in Britain that maintains the price by manipulating the market. I'm unsure why? London Bullion Market Association
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm
Zlaxer wrote:

Funneling it to Bitcoin?

Gold price definitely is NOT controlled by supply & demand; there is an exchange in Britain that maintains the price by manipulating the market. I'm unsure why? London Bullion Market Association
^^^this^^^
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:51 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm
Yeah ... I have to read up on LBMA and COMEX because I'm unsure of the role they play in the whole precious metals industry. Like - can they straight out price fix? And if so, what do they benefit from doing so (keeping metals low), and why can't a Chinese, Indian, or Russian market association simply pop up and say "Fuck you guys, we're selling precious metals too"?

There is a whooooooole lot of stuff I do not know about how the precious metals markets work.
Buuuuuuuuut, there's a whole lot of shit about how airplanes work I also don't know.
Never stopped me from flying.
:lol:

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 am

Entertaining take on BTC's future.
This guy runs the most easily watchable crypto channel on the internet.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 am

All we need is a continuously expanding group of brand new investors and it can't miss.

I really, truly love crypto -- for what it actually is. BTC as a pathway to millions of USD gets the old Fife Alarm all buzzy.