Investing Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Real Estate, Whatever)

DBTrek

Re: Investing Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Real Estate, Whatever)

Post by DBTrek » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am

Here are the YouTube channels I generally watch to stay up-to-date on crypto and the stock market:

Stocks/Economy:
Peter Schiff (economy/gold/Anti-crypto)
Let's Talk Money (Economy/Stock/Market Trends)
Mark Moss (Economy/Crypto/NWO/End The Fed)

Crypto
Digital Asset News (Crypto News)
The Modern Investor (Crypto/Economy ... dude kinda sounds like Art Bell to me)
Crypto Daily (Humorous take on crypto news)
Coin Bureau (In-depth look at a specific crypto topic each show)

This are my top picks, at least. That actually covers a little less than 50% of the shows I follow on the topic, but those are the ones I've pulled the most insight from.

Anyone else have some favorites - or is everybody just growing corn and waiting for the collapse?
:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Warren Buffet's argument against gold:

Today the world's gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.) At $1,750 per ounce -- gold's price as I write this -- its value would be about $9.6 trillion. Call this cube pile A.

Let's now create a pile B costing an equal amount. For that, we could buy all U.S. cropland (400 million acres with output of about $200 billion annually), plus 16 ExxonMobil's (the world's most profitable company, one earning more than $40 billion annually). After these purchases, we would have about $1 trillion left over for walking-around money (no sense feeling strapped after this buying binge). Can you imagine an investor with $9.6 trillion selecting pile A over pile B?
:think:

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Thanks for starting this thread.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:43 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Today the world's gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.) At $1,750 per ounce -- gold's price as I write this -- its value would be about $9.6 trillion. Call this cube pile A.

Let's now create a pile B costing an equal amount. For that, we could buy all U.S. cropland (400 million acres with output of about $200 billion annually), plus 16 ExxonMobil's (the world's most profitable company, one earning more than $40 billion annually). After these purchases, we would have about $1 trillion left over for walking-around money (no sense feeling strapped after this buying binge). Can you imagine an investor with $9.6 trillion selecting pile A over pile B?
True - but it’s hard as fuck to cash in land compared to gold. But, world elites have been buying up farmland like crazy. Prob is, you have to buy productive land to cover holdings costs - physical gold really has no holding costs. If I had enough $$$ to buy an industrial farm, I would. But I don’t - and I doubt anyone here (even Marty) does.

Thinking about pros/cons of farm stocks.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 pm

I actually like gold and precious metals - mainly for the same reason I like crypto - have something you can trade that isn't government fiat. When trillions and trillions of more dollars get printed, own something that won't lose value. In fact, anything you own should see it's value go up, since the trillions and trillions of new dollars in the economy are still competing for the same limited number of produced goods and services.

But ... Buffet makes a strong argument for gold being extremely overvalued when compared to similarly priced assets. Then again, Peter Schiff makes strong arguments for BTC being a Ponzi scheme. At then end of the day, I think both Buffet and Schiff offer up strong arguments that are well considered - but completely wrong.

And even Buffet may have come around to agreeing he was wrong. Still, something to think over when trying to preserve or grow wealth.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 pm

DBTrek wrote:

I’d take Pile A simply because Exxon (and the Big Ag companies) are grossly overvalued, and the oil will run out. My brick of gold will still be useful for centuries.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 pm
I’d take Pile A simply because Exxon (and the Big Ag companies) are grossly overvalued, and the oil will run out. My brick of gold will still be useful for centuries.
Think about this ....
Dependent people need others to get what they want. Independent people can get what they want through their own effort. Interdependent people combine their own efforts with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest success.

True effectiveness is a function of two things:

Production: What is produced (the golden eggs)
Production Capability: The producing asset or capacity to produce (the goose)
Effectiveness lies in the balance—the P/PC Balance. P stands for production of desired results, the golden eggs. PC stands for production capability, the ability or asset that produces the golden eggs.

https://dansilvestre.com/7-habits-of-hi ... e-summary/
You'd sacrifice a 50/50 mix of product (P) and production capacity (PC) plus a trillion dollars, for nine trillion of a single product (P) - Gold?

Gold doesn't have any production capacity. It's a commodity. If you would gladly trade a diversity of products (oil) and production capacity (agricultural land) for one big chunk of a single commodity (gold) then you're probably going to lose, long term. I'd take production capacity over a commodity, if they were of equal value. I'd take the gold-laying goose over the single gold egg.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:49 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 pm
Think about this ....
Dependent people need others to get what they want. Independent people can get what they want through their own effort. Interdependent people combine their own efforts with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest success.

True effectiveness is a function of two things:

Production: What is produced (the golden eggs)
Production Capability: The producing asset or capacity to produce (the goose)
Effectiveness lies in the balance—the P/PC Balance. P stands for production of desired results, the golden eggs. PC stands for production capability, the ability or asset that produces the golden eggs.

https://dansilvestre.com/7-habits-of-hi ... e-summary/
You'd sacrifice a 50/50 mix of product (P) and production capacity (PC) plus a trillion dollars, for nine trillion of a single product (P) - Gold?

Gold doesn't have any production capacity. It's a commodity. If you would gladly trade a diversity of products (oil) and production capacity (agricultural land) for one big chunk of a single commodity (gold) then you're probably going to lose, long term. I'd take production capacity over a commodity, if they were of equal value. I'd take the gold-laying goose over the single gold egg.
I mean, if we’re stretching the metaphor that far, then being the global controller of a resource is a bit more profitable than any company.

But yeah, I’d sell off about half and buy other productive assets. Nobody was advocating 100% conversion of assets into precious metals.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:01 pm

you're offering me 16 exxonmobils or ALL THE GOLD IN THE WORLD??

lol is this a joke

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 am

DBTrek wrote:
Warren Buffet invested in Gold in 2020 :think:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberg ... 9bac3d6a63
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience