Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by JohnDonne » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 pm
JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 pm
They spend even more subsidizing grains.
True, but grain subsidies wind up being meat subsidies, since more than half of all grain in the U.S. goes to feeding animals.
The point is it is a useless quip.

Focus on efficiency by various metrics: costs in dollars, calories per acre, costs on human health. If a society switches to a plant-based diet, they still need things like dairy and eggs to remain healthy. Then they need more land because it is not necessarily land efficient. Calories per acre.. you might have a plus for plant-based there. in terms of health and longevity, score goes to a mostly meat-based diet (consider Inuit and Masai prior to contact).
I hear what you're saying, that's good advice, but I would like to see some proof that humans require eggs and dairy to be healthy. A reputable linked source will do.

I don't think Inuits were as healthy as people like to imagine, and the Masai, I can't find any info on how healthy they were pre contact.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9740301

The goals of the analysis were 2-fold: 1) to assess the pre-contact health of North Alaskan Eskimos and Aleuts in order to provide a baseline comparison for the post-contact health of these groups, and 2) to determine if any differences in disease patterns exist between the Eskimos and Aleuts that might be related to differences in their physical environment, subsistence patterns, and cultural practices. The analysis revealed that both groups suffered from a variety of health problems prior to contact, including iron deficiency anemia, trauma, infection, and various forms of dental pathology.
Not enough modern carnivore humans to do studies and really make an assessment in any case.