Plutarch on animal ethics

Smitty-48

Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:57 pm

I am personally increasing my meat consumption just because of this thread, if at all possible, since I already eat meat at every meal. I'll have to start having meat for dessert.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 pm

I mean, some vegans aren't virtue signaling faggots, who think the world would be better off if everyone was vegan too. But the vegan posting in this thread clearly is.
*yip*

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:06 pm

StCapps wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:55 pm
JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:51 pm
I’m not against suffering, I’m against myself causing suffering. I’m not obligated to put suffering people or animals to death against their will to end their suffering. That would be tyrannical.
If you don't want kill animals yourself, others will pick up your slack. Acting like you are morally superior to those who are reducing actual animal suffering, is laughable. You want to be a vegan go ahead, but everyone being a vegan, would be bad for human civilization, and bad for the animals, you aren't helping by virtue signaling your "ethical superiority", it's all in your head.
Everyone being a vegan would be incredible for animals, the environment, and humans for reasons of sustainability alone.

Again, why worry about reducing suffering of overpopulated animals when you actively cause over-population and animal and human suffering by not being a vegan?

Your ridiculous argument hinges on a myth of a hunter that only eats overpopulated animals but otherwise avoids animal products. You are not that hunter, and that lifestyle would only sustain a few people, as opposed to hundreds of millions. To top it off, it’s premeditated killing in the name of tyrannical moral utilitarianism. No thanks.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:09 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:06 pm
Everyone being a vegan would be incredible for animals, the environment, and humans for reasons of sustainability alone.
False, there is enough food to feed everyone on earth, the problem is the lack of ability to get enough food to everywhere that needs it. Some parts of the earth need meat to survive, and importing plants to make up the difference isn't possible, even if it was economically feasible, which it often isn't.

You are projecting first world status on the entire planet, in every single community, you live in a dream land. Not only that, but even in the first world, it's often not possible to eat vegan exclusively and not have major problems because of it. If it works for you, cool, that doesn't it will work for everyone, so stop assuming that it will.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 pm

It is possible to grow food everywhere on the Earth. Agricultural tech right now is way more advance than most farmers are exploiting.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 pm
It is possible to grow food everywhere on the Earth. Agricultural tech right now is way more advance than most farmers are exploiting.
Cost matters, sometimes it's too expensive to grow food in some places, and eating animals feeds more people and saves resources for something other than food, in certain locations.

Veganism for everybody, is simply not feasible, even if you could be done on a far larger scale than it is now, doesn't change that fact.
*yip*

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:21 pm

Capps is just going full autist and trying to think of some poor third world villager that barely survives on cow milk, as an excuse to not go vegan. But he’s not that villager, and vegan arguments are not directed towards that villager, he’s just throwing up distractions.

We could go vegan, and because of all the money saved not subsidizing inefficiency in meat, we could send our surplus food to starving people

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:24 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:21 pm
Capps is just going full autist and trying to think of some poor third world villager that barely survives on cow milk, as an excuse to not go vegan. But he’s not that villager, and vegan arguments are not directed towards that villager, he’s just throwing up distractions.
My excuse to not go vegan, is that it isn't a ethical outrage to eat meat, not even close. Going vegan would likely be worse for health, more expensive, and I wouldn't get to eat some tasty foods. Hard pass.

I am pointing out that not everyone on the planet can go vegan, and you said things would better if they did, and I showed that to be incorrect, because obviously there are exceptions.

I'm not saying the every person on earth should eat meat or animal products, but you are saying that every person on earth shouldn't eat meat or animal products. One size, does not fit all, but you think it does in the case of veganism, which is ridiculous, on the face of it. If it works for you, great, that doesn't mean it will work great for everyone else, no exceptions.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm

StCapps wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 pm
Cost matters, sometimes it's too expensive to grow food in some places, and eating animals feeds more people and saves resources for something other than food, in certain locations.

Veganism for everybody, is simply not feasible, even if you could be done on a far larger scale than it is now, doesn't change that fact.
There are fixed costs upfront to build industrial greenhouses, and the variable costs include power and increased water consumption, but it works out economically. There are large greenhouses in Siberia right now doing just that.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:21 pm

We could go vegan, and because of all the money saved not subsidizing inefficiency in meat, we could send our surplus food to starving people
Leave our your "subsidy" canard and focus on whether it is actually more efficient to consume only plant calories (it's not). Also, what metric do you wish to use to measure efficiency? Cost/price efficiency? Maybe. Land efficiency? Definitely not. Energy efficiency? Probably not.