Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 pm
JohnDonne wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 am

Never mind where and when. What was your best routine?
Did you do jokes about veganism?

Much respect for anyone with the balls to stand in front of a crowd of strangers and try to make them laugh.
My only public performances have been as a juggler where you can hide behind your skills and props.
A stand-up comedian has nothing to hide behind.
Most audiences are half drunk and more than ready to say if they don't like you.
I did character based comedy. I'd commit to a character, work out their psychology, and base everything around that. I did a lot of research, because I believe a lot of comedy comes from psychological truth.
Why did you stop?
I enjoyed the buzz of performing but don't really have the talent for it.
Juggling changes when you move from hobby to profession. It becomes work instead of pleasure so I never really committed to it.
6 hours a day practising and learning new tricks can really take the fun out of it.
It's hard on the body too. A lot of committed jugglers get serious wrist problems similar to those experienced by HD but with fewer stains.
I've heard you can't juggle for shit either. That's what JohnDonne was saying earlier.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:

I did character based comedy. I'd commit to a character, work out their psychology, and base everything around that. I did a lot of research, because I believe a lot of comedy comes from psychological truth.
Why did you stop?
Juggling changes when you move from hobby to profession. It becomes work instead of pleasure so I never really committed to it.
6 hours a day practising and learning new tricks can really take the fun out of it.
It's hard on the body too. A lot of committed jugglers get serious wrist problems similar to those experienced by HD but with fewer stains.
I've heard you can't juggle for shit either. That's what JohnDonne was saying earlier.
Why would I want to juggle for shit?
If I wanted shit I'd just read your posts.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:45 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Why did you stop?
Why would I want to juggle for shit?
If I wanted shit I'd just read your posts.
Delete that. My parents read this forum and I don't want them seeing this.
Shikata ga nai

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 am

Montegriffo wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 am

Never mind where and when. What was your best routine?
Did you do jokes about veganism?

Much respect for anyone with the balls to stand in front of a crowd of strangers and try to make them laugh.
My only public performances have been as a juggler where you can hide behind your skills and props.
A stand-up comedian has nothing to hide behind.
Most audiences are half drunk and more than ready to say if they don't like you.
Why did you stop?
With stand up, it took a lot out of me. I made myself create a new character and a five minute routine every week, but the material I was doing was avante gard, hostile to the audience, and brutally offensive.

When it worked, which was about half the time, the bar went wild, when it failed, it was brutal. A lot of emotional energy went into all that. And it changes the way you think, being a comedian.

I got a lot of talkings-to by the more PC comedians, telling me that I’m not funny, I’m offensive, blah blah blah. Half the time they left the moment I went on stage.

But I’ve always thought of making a return someday.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:44 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 pm
I didn't do comedy that propagates ideas, I did comedy that illuminates human psychology, thus human flaws.
About ten percent of comedy is just funny observations. There are some guys who avoid using comedy as a weapon. A much larger portion of the popular comics are like that, which gives the false impression comedy really is not predominantly a manipulative social tool. But if you really step back and make a fair accounting, the vast majority of comedy is social and political programming. It's mostly propaganda like the Daily Show or all the shitty sitcoms subtly programming people towards degeneracy and progressivism.

The court jester works for the king, after all..

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 am

What’s true for comedy is true for art.

All art is propaganda.

Jokes are used in this very thread to dismiss veganism, an incredibly important issue.

A joke can dissipate the building up of tension, when it is used to dissipate the tension of conflicting ideas, it’s being used to subvert our critical faculties.

It’s okay to laugh, but laugh and then actually think.
Last edited by JohnDonne on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 am
Montegriffo wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:

Why did you stop?
With stand up, it took a lot out of me. I made myself create a new character and a five minute routine every week, but the material I was doing was avante gard, hostile to the audience, and brutally offensive.

When it worked, which was about half the time, the bar went wild, when it failed, it was brutal. A lot of emotional energy went into all that. And it changes the way you think, being a comedian.

I got a lot of talkings-to by the more PC comedians, telling me that I’m not funny, I’m offensive, blah blah blah. Half the time they left the moment I went on stage.

A new character and a new routine every week is brutal.
Why not stick to the characters which worked but with new routines?
I don't know if you got The Fast Show over there. Their comedy was character based but they stuck to the same characters and repeated the same "joke" with each of them but in slightly different situations.
It was very popular and ran for about a decade.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:45 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 am
JohnDonne wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Why did you stop?

A new character and a new routine every week is brutal.
Why not stick to the characters which worked but with new routines?
I don't know if you got The Fast Show over there. Their comedy was character based but they stuck to the same characters and repeated the same "joke" with each of them but in slightly different situations.
It was very popular and ran for about a decade.
Never seen the fast show. I like British comedy so I’ll check it out.

The new character a week was hard, but I was trying to push myself creatively. I saw other comedians do the same boring, confessional type comedy every week, delivering their lines exactly the same each time, always to weak laughs. I wanted to avoid that completely, and make each performance unpredictable and novel.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 am

You might have seen the Fast Show. Apparently, it was called Brilliant in the States.
Difficult to get an idea of what it was about from clips because you have to get to know the characters but here's one from the last show.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:41 am

What's the difference between a vegan and an American?

(hint: it's not the same as the difference between a vegan and a Brit.)