Plutarch on animal ethics

Speaker to Animals

Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 am
I thought all vegans were just trying to make us laugh. It's serious?
JohnDonne is partially on the level because he likes some MDE. I'm not ok with the Veganism or his frequent homosexual dalliances, but maybe we were too hard on him. He is on his way to personhood, he's just not quite there yet.

We should uplift him to sapiance by forcing a proper diet on him.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 am

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 am
I thought all vegans were just trying to make us laugh. It's serious?
JohnDonne is partially on the level because he likes some MDE. I'm not ok with the Veganism or his frequent homosexual dalliances, but maybe we were too hard on him. He is on his way to personhood, he's just not quite there yet.

We should uplift him to sapiance by forcing a proper diet on him.
baby steps. In time, he can start eating meat like a human, but maybe as an intermediary step he can eat purina. Not the bagged food, but the stuff in cans. His week calcium deprived Vegan teeth can't chew anything tougher than a raisin.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 am

I forgot about the tooth decay. We could puree chicken breast in a blender, though.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 am
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:49 am
JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm
They weren't an alt-right dog whistle back in the day, they were punk rock indie comedy.

Iconoclasts, against the PC establishment.

I found out about them in like 2013-14 when I was messing around with stand-up comedy. I saw Sam Hyde's stuff and it changed my whole approach.
Where did you do stand up?
Never mind where and when. What was your best routine?
Did you do jokes about veganism?

Much respect for anyone with the balls to stand in front of a crowd of strangers and try to make them laugh.
My only public performances have been as a juggler where you can hide behind your skills and props.
A stand-up comedian has nothing to hide behind.
Most audiences are half drunk and more than ready to say if they don't like you.
I did character based comedy. I'd commit to a character, work out their psychology, and base everything around that. I did a lot of research, because I believe a lot of comedy comes from psychological truth.
Last edited by JohnDonne on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 am

About 90% of comedy involves otherizing a person or group and dehumanizing them to make the ingroup audience feel smugly superior. Which, I mean, that's fine, but don't pretend like it's the truth when it really is a manipulative form of social control. Comedy is used to control people and maintain power. It's used to make dissent seem ludicrous. Most people are average or less in intellect, and yet most people want to think of themselves as above average in intelligence. The comedian utilizes this to turn them against certain ideas or groups.

It's almost never about the truth. If a comedian does the truth, he gets censored.

Memes on the other hand work when there is a grain of truth in them. They are like the anti-comic in a way. They also are funny, but they advance the kinds of ideas the comedian tries to suppress.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 pm

I didn't do comedy that propagates ideas, I did comedy that illuminates human psychology, thus human flaws.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:07 pm

What do you call a vegan who beats off all the time?

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 pm

I don't know fife. What do you call them?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 pm

a non dairy creamer
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 am
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:49 am

Where did you do stand up?
Never mind where and when. What was your best routine?
Did you do jokes about veganism?

Much respect for anyone with the balls to stand in front of a crowd of strangers and try to make them laugh.
My only public performances have been as a juggler where you can hide behind your skills and props.
A stand-up comedian has nothing to hide behind.
Most audiences are half drunk and more than ready to say if they don't like you.
I did character based comedy. I'd commit to a character, work out their psychology, and base everything around that. I did a lot of research, because I believe a lot of comedy comes from psychological truth.
Why did you stop?
I enjoyed the buzz of performing but don't really have the talent for it.
Juggling changes when you move from hobby to profession. It becomes work instead of pleasure so I never really committed to it.
6 hours a day practising and learning new tricks can really take the fun out of it.
It's hard on the body too. A lot of committed jugglers get serious wrist problems similar to those experienced by HD but with fewer stains.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.