Plutarch on animal ethics

JohnDonne

Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by JohnDonne » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 am

From Plutarch:
for the sake of a little flesh we deprive them of the sun, of the light, of the duration of life to which they are entitled by birth and being.

Can you really ask what reason Pythagoras had for abstaining from flesh? For my part I rather wonder both by what accident and in what state of soul or mind the first man did so, touched his mouth to gore and brought his lips to the flesh of a dead creature, he who set forth tables of dead, stale bodies and ventured to call food and nourishment the parts that had a little before bellowed and cried, moved and lived. How could his eyes endure the slaughter when throats were slit and hides flayed and limbs torn from limb? How could his nose endure the stench? How was it that the pollution did not turn away his taste, which made contact with the sores of others and sucked juices and serums from mortal wounds?

You call serpents and panthers savage and lions savage , but you yourselves , by your own foul slaughter, leave them no room to outdo you in cruelty; for their slaughter is their living yours is a mere appetizer.

It is certainly not lions and wolves that we eat out of self defence; on the contrary, we ignore these and slaughter the harmless , tame creatures without stings or teeth to harm us, creatures that, I swear, Nature appears to have produced for the sake of their beauty and grace...

But nothing abashes us, not the flower-like tinting of the flesh, not the cleanliness of their habits or the unusual intelligence that may be found in these poor wretches. No, for the sake of a little flesh we deprive them of the sun, of the light, of the duration of life to which they are entitled by birth and being.
We declare, then, that it is absurd for them to say that the practise of flesh-eating is based on nature . For that man is not naturally carnivorous is, in the first place, obvious from the structure of his body. A mans frame is in no way similar to those creatures who were made for flesh-eating; he has no hooked beak or sharp nails or jagged teeth, no strong stomach or warmth of vital fluids able to digest and assimilate a heavy diet of flesh. It is from the very fact, the evenness of our teeth, the smallness of our mouths, the softness of our tongues, our possession of vital fluids too inert to digest meat that nature disavows our eating of flesh. If you declare that you are naturally designed for such a diet, than first kill for yourself what you want to eat. Do, it however, only through your own resources, unaided by cleaver or cudgel of any kind or axe. Rather, just as wolves and bears and lions themselves slay what they eat, so you are to fell an ox with your fangs or a boar with your jaws, or tear a lamb or hare in bits. Fall upon it and eat it still living, as animals do. But if you wait for what you eat to be dead, if you have qualms about enjoying the flesh while life is still present, why do you continue, contrary to nature, to eat what possesses life? Even when it is lifeless and dead, however, no one eats the flesh just as it is; men boil it and roast it, altering it by fire and drugs, recasting and diverting and smothering with countless condiments the taste of gore so that the palate may be deceived and accept what is foreign to it.
"Note that the eating of flesh is not only physically against nature, but it also makes us spiritually coarse and gross by reason of satiety and surfeit.

The eye when it is flooded by an excess of moisture grows dim and weakened for its proper task. When we examine the sun through dank atmosphere and a fog of gross vapours, we do not see it clear and bright, but submerged and misty, with elusive rays. In just the same way, then, when the body is turbulent and surfeited and burdened with improper food, the lustre and light of the soul inevitably come through it blurred and confused, aberrant and inconstant, since the soul lacks the brilliance and intensity to penetrate to the minute and obscure issues of active life.
But apart from these considerations, do you not find here a wonderful means of training in social responsibility? Who could wrong a human being when he found himself so gently and humanely disposed toward other non-human creatures?
Excerpt from a Translation by Harold Cherniss and William C Helmbold

http://www.think-differently-about-shee ... utarch.htm

What remarkable sense this man had.

Smitty-48

Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:07 am

Homo Sapiens Sapiens apex predator ultra chimps must have meat.

We will even eat each other, if push comes to shove.
Nec Aspera Terrent

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 am

Tradition and taste is important, I don't want you to give up "meat" That's why the beyond burger exists. At select Carl's jr. Enjoy.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:13 am

Most violent aggressive and domineering apex predator in the observable universe, simulated doesn't slake my thirst for killing and blood.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 am

I even like you, JohnDonne. I think you're a decent fellow.

Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.

Do you have any idea, how ferocious a chimpanzee is?

I am the super evolved version of that. Not meeker. Even more ferocious. See; hydrogen bombs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:22 am

That's conditioning. Children unaccustomed to violence don't tear rabbits to shreds, but will tear delicious fruits to shreds unprompted.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:29 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:22 am
That's conditioning. Children unaccustomed to violence don't tear rabbits to shreds, but will tear delicious fruits to shreds unprompted.
You are the one who has been conditioned, I am the one in touch with my nature.

My blood can tell the difference between meat and not meat, I can feel the hormones coursing through my blood when I get my meat. If I don't get it, I will begin to predate in other ways.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:36 am

I mean, I find the fact that you feel sorry for your prey to be absurd, you are a defective chimpanzee, that is why I thirst to destroy you, there's something wrong about you, you're not one of us, my hyper tribal chimpanzee circuit is firing with my predatory circuit, my fangs are actually coming out, just by your presence, and you're not even here.
Nec Aspera Terrent

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:40 am

Hormones coursing through you? Nutritionally meat has zinc, which is good for T levels.

But so does tofu, wild rice, lentils etc. Check out vegan mma fighters like Diaz.

I wasn't conditioned for violence, I'll admit, nobody ever bullied me, nobody ever hurt me, nobody ever made me hurt animals except when we would go crabbing, but I saw that was wrong when I was nine years old.

I never went to war school, but you did. So how am I conditioned? It actually takes a tremendous amount of self-possession to go against the ubiquitous practice of animal abuse and cruelty.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:43 am

You were born a ferocious killer like me, someone in your environment conditioned you to fit into society, your parents probably, same with me, but in the military what we do is unlock the inner chimpanzee under controlled conditions.

So I'm much closer to my natural state, and I embrace it, while you are not, and so you recoil from it.
Nec Aspera Terrent