Well I've been fired a lot.

DBTrek

Re: Well I've been fired a lot.

Post by DBTrek » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Problem is you keep applying for government jobs while holding zero snowflake badges.
Good luck with that.
You're not getting a government job without an inside contact or a snowflake badge.

Try private employers.
If you teach math, good news, lots of tech jobs.
If you teach English there are writing jobs, but it's a harder field to get into.
If you teach history . . . uhhh . . . tough break.
:think:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:00 pm

If you get a master's in history you can become an analyst somewhere in the IC.

With a bachelor's in history, you can become a diplomat for State.

If you are going to work for the government, then you should go for the top.

Not all government jobs are bullshit. An intelligence analyst is a critical job that can help keep an unstable region sort of together. A diplomat can be life critical for Americans abroad.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:48 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:21 pm
Thank you to all that have posted for your support. I took a chance that I could post something unhistorical / philosophical but yet still serious and get some decent feedback, advice, or yes even support. Thank you again. Its appreciated.

Update: My intuition and gut tell me the Admin are just doing what the School Board told them to which is to speak to me, reprimand me, and apologize to the angry parent. The head Admin said not to worry too much about this and if it was used as part of an evaluation it would go under the category "Professionalism". My state is not a "union" state. I don't have reps or bargaining rights etc. A teacher has some what more protection from nonrenewing if they are under a "continuing contract" versus a "probationary contract". But that really just means a little more paperwork to recommend you for non renewal and it means that Administrators only have to formally observe you once a year instead of three times a year. I've got 3 and 1/2 more years here before I'm on a continuing contract. Anyway, ultimately the metric that matters most is "Student Academic Progress". And what they want to see is 70% or above on the end of the year standardized testing. Last year my classes totaled together were 74%ish and that is 6 total classes with roughly 150 students taught.

There are other categories you are evaluated on technically like, "Student Learning Environment, Instructional Planning, Instructional Delivery" etc. etc.

A teacher in my state basically is observed a few times and maybe a few "walk throughs" *(5-10 minutes max really) but the only ones that really count are formal observations that are suppose to be at least 50 minutes of class time a piece.

I've only had positive feedback the year and half that I've been here untill this but the head Admin is new to the position but was also here for years but really didn't know me. She didn't supervise my department etc.

I think something good happened today though. Well I know I felt better when I went to my school mailbox and there were over a dozen "thank you" notes from students this year all written by hand. I don't know if it was an assignment in another class or what exactly but it was nice and made me feel relieved. It was a more concrete validation of them actually saying they value me for whatever reasons, and a lot of them specifically mention me "caring" , "helping them" , or listening to them etc.

Anyway today the actual Superintendent was talking with the Faculty throughout the day during their planning periods. After he was done I went up to him and apologized for the incident and the parent's email that im sure he read. He thanked me for it and seemed receptive and ok with it overall. I had those letters in my hand *(not knowing I'd talk to him really) and he told me to mail him copies of them to his office and to show my head Admin. He also said he'd talk to her that Idk I guess that I spoke with him.

I'm feeling better than I was yesterday overall. I am hopeful and think after I get a formal observation over with I'll actually have a better idea of where this could be headed down the line i.e. end of the year renewal. Basically if he isn't too critical of my lesson and teaching ability under observation and in writing I don't think he';ll move to put me on an improvement plan or non renewal. Who knows really. I've had a lot of things happen in my "career" that were punitive, unpredictable and illogical. I'm going to take the chance now to buckle down and get my classroom squared away. Get more focused on actually teaching and having better classroom management. These things will help my day go by more productively and less stressful anyway.
Fuck those pussy ass students, parents, and administrators that decided to bring this up to you. This is why our country is going to shit. It also explains why our colleges are such a joke. We coddle these pussies and encourage their vaginal behavior in every aspect of life. Its fucking pathetic. God this whole incident makes me angry. Worst case scenario, if you lost your job, do you have any ideas about what career you would want to enter into? You should look into teaching private schools. More money+less govt interference. You've got experience teaching now, so if you lose your job, this may be an opportunity for you to make some more money. I'm really sorry man.
I've had to find a new or different teaching gig 5 times in 10 years. All for different specific reasons. Most were because I was non renewed for reasons other than competence or teaching ability. Usually not getting a long well with hallway teachers/"team teachers" at the Middle school level. This gig is finally at the high school level and in the best district ive worked in. Not saying that much because I've mostly worked in poor areas. But nonetheless I like the county, I like where its located geographically and family proximity etc. I love the fact that its still a semi rural area and I like the aesthetics of it as well.

Long story shorter I've looked into altogether different employment. Its not easy or barely possible for me really. I sent out over a 100 applications in state and local entry level government jobs and got two interviews no offers. I tried to get hired and went through the application process to be a paid fire fighter. I was called up for an actual interview (last step before they offer to send you to the academy) but I was under contract as a teacher somewhere by the time they called back and I couldn't quit to go to the Academy. In hindsight maybe I should have wen to that interview. What's done is done.

I would like to do therapy/counseling type work if I had to do something else. I can see myself being effective at it in general. I cannot see going to graduate school to get certified though. The other "option" is becoming a priest but the Catholic Church does not allow married men to be priest. So idk.

I will be spending more time and effort looking for a job if things get squirly around work after Winter Break. Ill have to wait and see how the above plays out though. I'm going to be observed soon I know. Ill let yall know how that goes. It should be some what telling how the rest of my school year will be at least from a paperwork standpoint.
"team teachers." how revolting that sounds. I'm sure they all formed a clique too. That is one of the main reason I would despise teaching aside from the students. From my experience, most teachers are hella liberal and are bent on forcing as much of that shit into their lesson plans/water cooler chat as possible. I read a People's History of the United States by Zinn in high school for class. I can't imagine having to interact professionally with those fucking drones on a regular basis. With all that has been going on in politics lately, I'm sure they have only gotten more brainwashed...

Good luck man! I hope this horseshit blows over.
Shikata ga nai

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm
I read a People's History of the United States by Zinn in high school for class.
Thankfully HS for me was over in '82, before that book made it into "history" classes, and before much of the liberal indoctrination took the full-on hold it has today. I feel sorry for today's kids, they generally don't even realize how brainwashed they are.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm
I read a People's History of the United States by Zinn in high school for class.
Thankfully HS for me was over in '82, before that book made it into "history" classes, and before much of the liberal indoctrination took the full-on hold it has today. I feel sorry for today's kids, they generally don't even realize how brainwashed they are.
GloryofGreece has mentioned Pat Buchanan quite a bit on here. Imagine if he assigned that as reading for a different perspective than comrade Zinn, or at least to balance out the overly liberal curriculum. He would probably be tried in court for "corrupting the youth." The next batch of voters will graduate with a healthy dose of self loathing, social justice, and marxist economics. They will be perfectly set to elect suitable Cortez candidates and open for further indoctrination in Khmer Rouge Universities to learn all the correct liberal orthodoxies.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 pm

I was in college in 2008 so I know how it would be in "education". I didn't really know what to do and I liked history. My student-teaching experience was great and really what held me together when I doubted whether I even wanted to teach after several horrible experiences. I always knew it could be better and was for others. I wasn't resentful I was hopeful. Of course I did somethings I shouldn't have done and of course I wasn't nor am I a great teacher. Im proficient at my job overall, and I'm good with actually teaching people basic political/social/historical concepts. The content knowledge is secondary to ones ability to deal with the age group. A lot of the students/teens are broken individuals. It can be pretty sad honestly. And I've heard and seen innumerable examples of these kids being abused and neglected. Its bad but you help out how you can and you move on.

The liberal bias in education isn't even what bothers me the most. What bothers me is the industrialization and codification of the endeavor of education into an industry. Making administrative paperwork and optics more important than actually teaching content is heartbreaking. If I wanted to be a paper pusher I could have tried to do other things besides teaching. There's actual decent level content to teach at the AP and Dual Enrollment levels. Its appealing in some ways but really I just like teaching 13-14 year olds History of various kinds. I'm excited about the 8th grade switching from Civics to Geography. I can't wait to get out of teaching about politics. And I think having 5 sections of Geography and 1 section of an elective is a great work schedule to strive for. Geography has practical application and is interesting. It also gives them a good introduction to get ready for World History.

I stay away from talking religion, real philosophy, or politics at the workplace. Most of the workers are women and most of the men are soft and liberal. Some of the men are good guys but they aren't political really. They are too busy getting shit done for school and for their day to day job. Most of the women are whiny and hysterical. That's what bothersome more than anything else really. The busy body types and the noisy people. Some body always has to sniff around looking for something to judge and shame. The type that's quick to tell you what they think and how good they are at their job. Again, I try to ignore them and keep it moving. But the spot im at is the best ive been at in 10 fucking years so yeah I'm not trying to find another job. At the end of the day I'm a slave to the job and at the mercy of the Admin. I don't have negotiating power. I can't threaten to leave b/c I can't back it up. I didn't secure multiple skills to make me more versatile and valuable to not only school districts but other fields as well. I'm going to take the certification test to be able to teach something else to add another subject to my repertoire but that will take time and money.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 pm

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Well I was observed today. I think it went well. We covered a variety of relevant topics today and stuck to the curriculum. I had student participation in my class and most were on task most of the time. He said he liked what he saw. It only matters what he writes down though. I'll let you all know when I get his rubric /evaluation back in written format.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Well good news he was honest it seems. I received "proficient" and "excellent" ratings in all seven domains. Now I just have to not get tagged in an email to the Admin and School Board again and earn a similar rating in the Spring. I was a bit panicked these past several days as you'd likely expect. I knew he was coming into observe me sometimes soonish and I knew I had to do a good job. I've had several rough and even dare I say unjust situations with different Administrators before this gig. At least this guy is honest and seems sincere or at least non punitive. Im prone to negative emotion and a bit paranoid by nature. If I stay doing a decent to good job I should be ok for another one year contract.

Thanks folks for listening to my angst.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Yeah well someone with your personality type is clearly best suited teaching children. You should start giving them a decent education.