#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Re: Manufactured Homes

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:32 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Here it is/ Thanks!
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/G ... rect/9_zm/
Three and a Half acres and a home under 160K, that's not bad. House looks OK, sufficientely new to have good construction standards. I'd say there is nothing wrong with that.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 am

From a Construction Guys perspective I'll address things like Goedesic domes, Yurts, etc.

See this

This is a fairly typical Ranch Style home, much loathed as it is. This home is fantastic, extremely efficient at every level, and a chameleon in cookie cutter appearance. The lowly ranch home is vastly underrated.

The Ranch house works because it is easy and efficient to build. Not only that floor plans tend be simple and effective. Hidden in it's modest shell is a home that has good insulation value, good air flow makes the most heating and cooling costs, and it is designed to reduce waste in construction.

Now, all those wonderful things I just said about Ranch Houses, I can't say about Yurts, GeoDomes and a host of other building techniques.
PLATA O PLOMO

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 am
From a Construction Guys perspective I'll address things like Goedesic domes, Yurts, etc.

See this

This is a fairly typical Ranch Style home, much loathed as it is. This home is fantastic, extremely efficient at every level, and a chameleon in cookie cutter appearance. The lowly ranch home is vastly underrated.

The Ranch house works because it is easy and efficient to build. Not only that floor plans tend be simple and effective. Hidden in it's modest shell is a home that has good insulation value, good air flow makes the most heating and cooling costs, and it is designed to reduce waste in construction.

Now, all those wonderful things I just said about Ranch Houses, I can't say about Yurts, GeoDomes and a host of other building techniques.
Don’t know why ranch style houses are frowned upon. I’ve always loved them.

The only thing I’d change in it would be the wiring that goes along the attic/crawl space in the old ones. Or at least make it so you can stand up in one.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve banged a knee up in that space.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 am

See this

That really has nothing to do with the yurt idea. The idea of using a yurt is that you can buy about 10-20 acres outright, spend about 10-15k on a yurt, and then save each month the money you would be paying on a mortgage for building a house.

If you want to build a ranch house then that's great.

My idea has more to do with avoiding banks and paying interest each month. If you get a mortgage, for those first five years or so upwards of half your monthly payments are just going to pay for interest. If you just spend a few years living in a nice climate controlled yurt, you could save enough to just buy the house outright.

This all assumes you have equity and can cash in on this housing boom before it collapses again.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:49 am

Didn't DB have a tiny house thread, or was that a subplot of the travel trailer thread?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:17 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 am
That really has nothing to do with the yurt idea. The idea of using a yurt is that you can buy about 10-20 acres outright, spend about 10-15k on a yurt, and then save each month the money you would be paying on a mortgage for building a house.

My idea has more to do with avoiding banks and paying interest each month. If you get a mortgage, for those first five years or so upwards of half your monthly payments are just going to pay for interest. If you just spend a few years living in a nice climate controlled yurt, you could save enough to just buy the house outright.

This all assumes you have equity and can cash in on this housing boom before it collapses again.
OK, that's a little different discussion, but I'm down with it. And the goal of buying land without being under the thumb of the banking industry is awesome.

In my professional opinion, Yurts are not necessarily the best decision because they are a temporary structure, and your time and energy can be better utilized in building a permanent structure for comparable money. Check out this couple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBWfsHPnK4
They live in a Yurt with a radius of 10 ft, or 314 sf. That is equal to a 16 x 20 building. There are a lot of options for putting up a permanent structure with 314 sf with similar effort and money.

If you can get 10-20 acres of timbered land, building a log house is really the way to go. But there are a lot of other options as well.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 am

Fife wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:49 am
Didn't DB have a tiny house thread, or was that a subplot of the travel trailer thread?

I seem to remember something like that, DB probably lost his threads to the King County Tax collector.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:17 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 am

OK, that's a little different discussion, but I'm down with it. And the goal of buying land without being under the thumb of the banking industry is awesome.

In my professional opinion, Yurts are not necessarily the best decision because they are a temporary structure, and your time and energy can be better utilized in building a permanent structure for comparable money. Check out this couple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBWfsHPnK4
They live in a Yurt with a radius of 10 ft, or 314 sf. That is equal to a 16 x 20 building. There are a lot of options for putting up a permanent structure with 314 sf with similar effort and money.

If you can get 10-20 acres of timbered land, building a log house is really the way to go. But there are a lot of other options as well.
This is in the middle of the national forest:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/p ... rect/9_zm/

11 acres for 65k

Not going to be a huge productive farm or anything, but you can still grow personal food in a place like that. It's covered in forest, though.

Right now I could sell this place and get about 60k. But in about two years that is probably going to be over 100k because of the development and the land shortage in Asheville.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 am

45 acres with some pasture land already there for less than 100k:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/p ... rect/8_zm/