Manufactured Homes

GloryofGreece

Manufactured Homes

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:53 am

Are manufactured homes long lasting and worth investing in i.e. living in? I've found one for a reasonable price I can afford and its in a location that works for my and my wife etc. Its been difficult to find any home that's decent and where we need to be.

Thanks for the advice and any tidbits you could offer on buying a manufactured home.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Manufactured Homes

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I’m told that they’re the same as other homes, but I don’t really believe it. Besides, I won’t live in a house without a basement.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:42 pm

They are much better than in decades past.

Get the construction specs and check them out. With the better built ones they are essentially no different than a traditionally built home. The biggest issue I'd it won't appreciate in value as much.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:42 pm
They are much better than in decades past.

Get the construction specs and check them out. With the better built ones they are essentially no different than a traditionally built home. The biggest issue I'd it won't appreciate in value as much.
Thanks, can you give me things to look out for? What are some glaring no nos , if you will?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:52 pm

I'll get you a longer post a little later.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:18 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:53 am
Are manufactured homes long lasting and worth investing in i.e. living in? I've found one for a reasonable price I can afford and its in a location that works for my and my wife etc. Its been difficult to find any home that's decent and where we need to be.

Thanks for the advice and any tidbits you could offer on buying a manufactured home.
If you have the money, you could buy land and make one relatively cheap. I had a buddy who really wanted to do that. He was looking into something called Earth Kit I believe. I'm sorry you are having home buying difficulties dude.

Look at this one. It was at the top of the search results. It looks pretty cool.

https://www.ebay.com/i/311926860406?chn=ps
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:18 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 pm
I’m told that they’re the same as other homes, but I don’t really believe it. Besides, I won’t live in a house without a basement.
Why do you like basements so much?
Shikata ga nai

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:18 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
They're pretty much essential in northern climates because a simple slab can shift in the freeze/thaw cycles. Needs to be deep enough to get below the frost line.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm
heydaralon wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
They're pretty much essential in northern climates because a simple slab can shift in the freeze/thaw cycles. Needs to be deep enough to get below the frost line.
I live in Florida, so they are a curiosity here. One buddy I know had his basement flooded from Irma. Are you saying that up north a freeze can actually cause the entire foundation of your home to shift?
Shikata ga nai

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:23 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:55 pm
Ph64 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm
heydaralon wrote:

I live in Florida, so they are a curiosity here. One buddy I know had his basement flooded from Irma. Are you saying that up north a freeze can actually cause the entire foundation of your home to shift?
Yup. Gets worse the longer/colder it gets in winter too - here in CT we rarely even a foot of freeze in the ground, unlike say Alaska where they've got big problems with things like the pipeline that was built on "permafrost" that maybe isn't quite so permanent in recent years. Ideally you sink the foundation (supports for the pipeline) below the depth of the frost line so it won't shift in a thaw.

Think about it - water expands when it freezes to ice, the ground always has some moisture, so the ground heaves upward when it freezes - and more so the deeper it freezes. Then when spring comes and it thaws the ground sinks. It might only be 1/2", maybe even an inch, but do that to a concrete slab over and over for 20 years you'll at least have cracks, sinking in places, etc. Same thing with roads. And with a house a shift in the foundation is going to affect the wooden structure you built on it - again, probably getting progressively worse with time.

Can't do much about the roads - or I suppose you could pour a 3' thick concrete slab (deep enough to be below the frost line), but it'd be way too expensive. Could do the same for a house I suppose... but 6-8" of slab probably isn't gonna cut it. Thus a basement, where the bottom is (typically) 3-4' below ground level.

(I've had to bury a pet out back in January, it's a pickaxe for the top 6-8" at least before you can switch to a shovel because it's just packed dirt by then... and that wasn't even all that cold at the time - give it a month+ of sub-zero(F) temps I'm sure that could be way deeper).

You can still do manufactured homes up here, I see them going up all the time - big chunks of house getting delivered, cranes.... you just need to have an appropriate foundation for the climate.