Culinary Thread

heydaralon

Culinary Thread

Post by heydaralon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Is there already a cooking thread?

If so, I didn't see it.

I have been doing a lot of cooking lately, and trying to up my kitchen game. I am trying some different shit, and so far it has worked out well. In the last month, I have cooked:

1) New York strip with pepper and garlic (I grated the cloves not the shaker kind. I like it better that way)

2) Chuck steak with the same seasoning (pretty goddamn good)
I got it pretty cheap and ended up paying less than $2.50 per steak (good size steak too with lots of meat and fat)

3) Calf Liver with bacon and onions. I soaked the liver in milk for about 3 hours prior to cooking it. I also used the bacon fat and added butter to saute' the onions. That shit was fire. I like liver anyway, but with bacon it is the shit.

4) Beef Kidney. This one wasn't so good. I like chicken kidneys, but the beef kidneys tasted off. I seasoned them liberally, but still that one was a misfire

5) Thai beef with noodles. I call this recipe Punji Stick Shepherd's pie. It has cilantro, garlic, basil, carrots, and green onions in it. One of my favorite dishes of all time

6) Lamb Burgers with homemade tzatziki sauce. These were pretty damn good as well.

7) Chicken Shishkabobs with peppers and onions

8) homemade Ramen noodles (or whatever the proper name is for them) with boiled egg, chicken and some cabbage and vegetables. This turned out better than I expected

I cook stuff like sausage and hamburgers, scrambled eggs etc. but that is pretty standard. I am more proud of the off the beaten path shit that I have made.

Next on my list for cooking:

1) falafel
2) fried Rocky mountain oysters
3) Jamaican curry goat
4) rabbit stew
5) Camel (supposedly there is a butcher shop in orlando that sells random ass exotic meat. Not just camel, but other crazy shit. I am going to stop by there after work some time and check them out).

Are you guys cooking anything cool atm? I am not an Iron Chef, but I am trying to improve myself and gain skills, and my cooking game has gone from awful to mediocre.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Re: Culinary Thread

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm currently on a fast atm. I drank a half pot of coffee (HEB brand, [sucks]), and ate a ramen noodle. That was pretty much my breakfast around noon then I got called in to do an upgrade for a customer. Celebrate job well done with beer. That's about all youtube.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:27 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:16 pm

If so, I didn't see it.
Yep
https://www.martinhash.com/forums/viewt ... &start=460
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 pm

heydaralon wrote:

If so, I didn't see it.

I have been doing a lot of cooking lately, and trying to up my kitchen game. I am trying some different shit, and so far it has worked out well. In the last month, I have cooked:

1) New York strip with pepper and garlic (I grated the cloves not the shaker kind. I like it better that way)

2) Chuck steak with the same seasoning (pretty goddamn good)
I got it pretty cheap and ended up paying less than $2.50 per steak (good size steak too with lots of meat and fat)

3) Calf Liver with bacon and onions. I soaked the liver in milk for about 3 hours prior to cooking it. I also used the bacon fat and added butter to saute' the onions. That shit was fire. I like liver anyway, but with bacon it is the shit.

4) Beef Kidney. This one wasn't so good. I like chicken kidneys, but the beef kidneys tasted off. I seasoned them liberally, but still that one was a misfire

5) Thai beef with noodles. I call this recipe Punji Stick Shepherd's pie. It has cilantro, garlic, basil, carrots, and green onions in it. One of my favorite dishes of all time

6) Lamb Burgers with homemade tzatziki sauce. These were pretty damn good as well.

7) Chicken Shishkabobs with peppers and onions

8) homemade Ramen noodles (or whatever the proper name is for them) with boiled egg, chicken and some cabbage and vegetables. This turned out better than I expected

I cook stuff like sausage and hamburgers, scrambled eggs etc. but that is pretty standard. I am more proud of the off the beaten path shit that I have made.

1) falafel
3) Jamaican curry goat
4) rabbit stew
5) Camel (supposedly there is a butcher shop in orlando that sells random ass exotic meat. Not just camel, but other crazy shit. I am going to stop by there after work some time and check them out).

Are you guys cooking anything cool atm? I am not an Iron Chef, but I am trying to improve myself and gain skills, and my cooking game has gone from awful to mediocre.
Lambs kidney is much nicer than beef.

A common mistake when making falafel is using cooked chicken peas. They must be soaked overnight then minced raw. Add salt, corriander and chilli, form into small balls and deep fry.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 pm
heydaralon wrote:

1) falafel
3) Jamaican curry goat
4) rabbit stew

He may have missed the first rule of cooking kidneys...…………………………….. Fry the Piss out of them.

On your Rocky Mountain Oysters. They key is young beef nuts. It's easy to get large ones from a butcher, but they really aren't very good. Not a lot of guys doing traditional castrations at branding time anymore. They are just hard to come by.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 pm
heydaralon wrote:

1) falafel
3) Jamaican curry goat
4) rabbit stew

He may have missed the first rule of cooking kidneys...…………………………….. Fry the Piss out of them.

On your Rocky Mountain Oysters. They key is young beef nuts. It's easy to get large ones from a butcher, but they really aren't very good. Not a lot of guys doing traditional castrations at branding time anymore. They are just hard to come by.
I cooked them in oil, and added flour, garlic pepper, and salt. I didn't deep fry them, which I'll admit probably would have let made them taste better, but I used a lot of oil in the pan. They tasted like not-as-good liver. I have always been into organ meat, so I was disappointed.

I also have a pretty good beef heart recipe. I cooked those awhile back. It is pretty similar to the kidney one, but I add bacon to it and it gives the tough meat a little more fat. Most people feed the hearts and kidneys to their dogs. I have looked online, and a lot of that organ meat is a really good source of vitamins, and protein. Its also cheap. Its more of a challenge to cook too. Anyone can make filet mignon taste good. With that stuff, you have to experiment a little more.

As far as the oysters, that seems to be a more Western US delicacy. I know that in Montana and Wyoming it is a bigger thing than in Florida. Are you a fan of them?
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm

As far as the oysters, that seems to be a more Western US delicacy. I know that in Montana and Wyoming it is a bigger thing than in Florida. Are you a fan of them?
I was razzin you about the kidneys.

I like em. I'll eat em when I can get em. Eating oysters was a traditional thing to do for me growing up at branding time, so it brings a lot of good memories. I was in Nebraska last Spring and ordered some in a bar, they sucked. Mature bull nuts sliced up. The taste and texture is just not the same as a juvenile bull calf nuts.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am

It's very easy to overcook kidneys. If you do they will be dry and tough.
Try again with lambs kidneys they don't taste as strong as beef.

Use about 6 kidneys. Slice them about half an inch thick, remove the white fat from the centers, rinse them under cold water, drain and then toss in a little flour. Fry them in a little oil/butter (deep frying them is a bad idea) on a medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
Then for a classic English breakfast dish (devilled kidneys) add a spoon full of tomato puree, a spoon full of English mustard (or any hot mustard) a dash of Worcestershire sauce,salt and pepper and about a cup full of water. simmer gently for about 10 mins until kidneys are soft and the sauce has thickened.
Serve on toast with chopped parsley.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 am

heydaralon wrote:

I also have a pretty good beef heart recipe. I cooked those awhile back. It is pretty similar to the kidney one, but I add bacon to it and it gives the tough meat a little more fat. Most people feed the hearts and kidneys to their dogs. I have looked online, and a lot of that organ meat is a really good source of vitamins, and protein. Its also cheap. Its more of a challenge to cook too. Anyone can make filet mignon taste good. With that stuff, you have to experiment a little more.
I'd always been told that Americans didn't eat much offal so I'm glad to hear you are prepared to give it a go. Most younger people here don't like it either.
I prefer to cook pig's or lamb's offal rather than beef. (Muntjak or other small deer is good too)
There are lots of good old English recipes out there for cooking livers, kidneys and hearts etc.
Heart is great meat, solid muscle which you can cook like a rump steak. Last time I cooked venison heart for someone I even tried it myself (as a pest species,free range and organic I could find no moral reason, as a vegetarian, to not eat Muntjak).

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 am
heydaralon wrote:

I'd always been told that Americans didn't eat much offal so I'm glad to hear you are prepared to give it a go. Most younger people here don't like it either.
I prefer to cook pig's or lamb's offal rather than beef. (Muntjak or other small deer is good too)
There are lots of good old English recipes out there for cooking livers, kidneys and hearts etc.
Heart is great meat, solid muscle which you can cook like a rump steak. Last time I cooked venison heart for someone I even tried it myself (as a pest species,free range and organic I could find no moral reason, as a vegetarian, to not eat Muntjak).
The rural ones do sometimes. My mom ate liver and pigs brains growing up, as did most of the people in her farm town. Also, some immigrant communities like Koreans and hispanics eat those parts of the animal. White people my age who did not grow up on a farm tend to shy away from it.

I saw a recipe for kidney pie that looked good, but based on my experiment with beef kidney, I am hesitant to try it.

Monte, can you buy venison at regular grocery stores in the UK? In my area you can't for the most part, though I think local butchers sell them sometimes. I have tried venison before, and to me it tasted like a lean beef. Some folks say it tastes gamey, but I didn't experience much of that flavor. I would like to try venison sausage.
Shikata ga nai