Wilderness Survival

Speaker to Animals

Re: Wilderness Survival

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:11 pm

One of my friends growing up shot a great horned owl near Fish Lake with his pellet gun (which is the little-known last lake on the Butler Chain). That fucking thing attacked us. They are so huge.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:28 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:05 pm
When I was in high school, I killed a duck. Not purposely. Me and my buddies were throwing shit into a pond, and I had a small glass mayonaise bottle tht I wanted to skip across the water. Any way it skipped a bit, and then it hit a duck right on the side of its head. The duck kind of spazzed out and then stopped moving. We left the area quickly. I felt kind of bad about it. I've eaten duck before, but I had a pet duck when I was younger and I remembered that. We should have taken the carcass and eaten it.
Nothing to feel bad about. I had some Lord of the Flies moments when I was a youngin.

Frankly I think killing animals and being in close touch with your food is very important to the human psyche.
I agree with you about the fact that most Americans have this disconnect between meat and the animal that had to die so they could eat it. My mom grew up on a farm so she slaughtered chickens and pigs, and she has never been squeamish. Eventually, I would like to go hunting and learn how to field dress a deer or hog. I do believe that if people kill animals though, they should use the meat. In that case, we were fucking around and the duck died for no reason. That seems wasteful to me. I also don't like shit like dogfighting or even cockfighting, because its basically torturing animals for entertainment.

There are 7 billion of us on this Earth, so whatever we do, animals will die. Either from being slaughtered directly, or in the case of vegans the planting of soy fields or building housing developments or whatever that remove their habitat and stop their food supply. That is unavoidable. However, I think that using their bodies for food or tools or clothing is the right thing to do, as opposed to just killing them wantonly. I guess there are exceptions to this like killing vermin and nuisance animals. I killed a rat before with a slingshot, but I fucking hate rats. They are repulsive to me.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:32 pm

My dad bought me a pellet gun and said that it didnt matter but I would be forced to eat what I killed. This is really a very simple thing.

I still killed a couple reptiles I had no plan on eating however. In retrospect I certainly should have ate that copper head.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:11 pm
One of my friends growing up shot a great horned owl near Fish Lake with his pellet gun (which is the little-known last lake on the Butler Chain). That fucking thing attacked us. They are so huge.
We used to have these broadwing hawks that would land in our yard within ten feet of us. I would be doing yardwork, and these things would land right in the grass next to me, not giving a fuck. I've seen them carry fish and snakes to their nest. We have a bunch of tall trees in our yard so that means the yard is a magnet for badass birds of prey.

Anyway, one day we found the hawks body in the yard with feathers everywhere missing its head. After doing some internet research, we concluded that either an Eagle or an owl decapitated it. There are Eagles that live in a nest about 1 mile from our house, but I see owls in our yard quite frequently. Pretty good sized owls. I heard squeaking on night and saw an owl flying off with a rodent in its talons. I think an owl did it tbh. Owls are pretty fucking badass.

Every so often, I find an owl pellet in the backyard with fur and little bones in it. I wish that I saw the footage of the owl hawk fight.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:28 pm

I agree with you about the fact that most Americans have this disconnect between meat and the animal that had to die so they could eat it. My mom grew up on a farm so she slaughtered chickens and pigs, and she has never been squeamish. Eventually, I would like to go hunting and learn how to field dress a deer or hog. I do believe that if people kill animals though, they should use the meat. In that case, we were fucking around and the duck died for no reason. That seems wasteful to me. I also don't like shit like dogfighting or even cockfighting, because its basically torturing animals for entertainment.
Steven Rinella is pretty great as far as hunting shows go. He has over 300 videos on YouTube, books, a podcast and 3 seasons of his show Meat Eater on Netflix. What I like about him is he has a great philosophy on hunting and using the meat...…… it's not all about the horns. He has episodes on just field dressing or cooking.

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:18 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:32 pm
My dad bought me a pellet gun and said that it didnt matter but I would be forced to eat what I killed. This is really a very simple thing.

I still killed a couple reptiles I had no plan on eating however. In retrospect I certainly should have ate that copper head.
It's a decent standard, not gonna go wrong with that. However, there are such things as Varmints in the world that need to be killed. I have no problem with killing them and not eating them. Worms gotta eat too.

Rinella eats all kinds of crap, bugs, monkeys, dogs, snakes, deer heads, crazy shit.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 pm

They are fucking huge, startling so. It's a big time Federal Offense to shoot one.

I saw one with Blue Eyes, freaked me out.
PLATA O PLOMO

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm not pointing fingers, but this wouldn't really be an issue if unscrupulous Nordic fisherman weren't hunting whales to extinction and damaging the ecosystem, and pickling and eating random sharks and whatnot. We would be far better off without habitat destruction and deforestation due to IKEA furniture...

Did you do any serious survival training when you were in the military Hastur? I don't think I would make it in the Swedish frozen wasteland on my own tbh even with a gun...
Us Swedes don't hunt Whales. Strictly verboten. We don't do deforestation either. Our forest industry brings in as much money as the Norwegian oil but we have never had more standing timber than now. It's carefully shepherded.

Overfishing in the Baltic Sea is one of my pet peeves. It has to be dealt with somehow. Borderline existential issue.

When I did my military service we all went through survival courses as part of the Free War training. The standing order for all our armed forces is that we will never surrender and put down our arms. In case of defeat in the field, every soldier should take to the woods and continue the struggle. "All information saying we have surrendered shall be treated as fake".
It did not involve and hunting or fishing. We were expected to scrounge, beg, borrow or steal. The main emphasis was on keeping dry, warm and undetected and guerilla tactics. It involved 10days out in the winter forest with limited supplies, being sought after by a B force. We had horrible weather. Bare ground winter is the worst. Snow is very useful if you can avoid leaving to many tracks. A snow bivouac is always above 0°C and keeps you out of the wind. We had no snow, freezing cold and windy nights. Thank god for fir trees.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 pm
They are fucking huge, startling so. It's a big time Federal Offense to shoot one.

I was the victim here.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 am

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 am
C-Mag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 pm

I was the victim here.
Not me, like I said, he had blue eyes...…………………. one blue this way and one blue that way. :P
PLATA O PLOMO