Wilderness Survival

Montegriffo

Re: Wilderness Survival

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 pm
Holy shit guys. I was just minding my business in the backyard and out of nowhere this squirrel started violently hopping in my direction. I asked it to stop but he kept coming so I had to draw my forearm and gun it down in self defense. I guess I should try and eat it now. I kind of feel bad about it but it probably had rabies and this is the wild. I cant take any chances out here.
How many times did you shoot it? Fewer than 16 and you'll never make it as an LEO.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Idk.... 5? 20?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Impressive that you had time to draw your forearm before gunning it down. Did you just make a quick pencil sketch of a Hitler salute?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Right to bear arms fgt

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm
Right to bear arms fgt
No right to bare arms here in the Caliphate. Must be dressed modestly at all times.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Years ago, my dad and I made a knife out of rebar using an anvil, a coal fire, pvc pipe and a hair dryer. We got that metal hot and pounded it with a hammer until it flattened into a blade.
That was a waste of time, rebar is non hardenable low carbon steel. My son went through a knifemaking stage in my workshop, made some pretty nice ones. He's a survival guy: Eagle Scout, Certified Wilderness 1st Responder, certified rock climbing guide and all around mountain man. One of his favorite books you'd like:

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 pm
Years ago, my dad and I made a knife out of rebar using an anvil, a coal fire, pvc pipe and a hair dryer. We got that metal hot and pounded it with a hammer until it flattened into a blade.
That was a waste of time, rebar is non hardenable low carbon steel. My son went through a knifemaking stage in my workshop, made some pretty nice ones. He's a survival guy: Eagle Scout, Certified Wilderness 1st Responder, certified rock climbing guide and all around mountain man. One of his favorite books you'd like:

Your son sounds awesome.

The knife has never been used to cut anything, it was an experiment of sorts. It was a first time attempt, not something to be entered into a knife cutting competition or whatever. I didn't think it was a waste of time. In fact, it was pretty awesome that my dad with no smithing skills was able to do that.
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm
The knife has never been used to cut anything, it was an experiment of sorts. It was a first time attempt, not something to be entered into a knife cutting competition or whatever. I didn't think it was a waste of time. In fact, it was pretty awesome that my dad with no smithing skills was able to do that.
I get it than anything with dad is great, but you get me that it's about as useful as a gun carved from soap. Do you watch Forged in Fire? Sometimes they make the competitors choose metal from a pile of scrap, some know what's made of high carbon and other don't. One show a guy made a blade from low carbon but got through the round because enough of the others fucked up badly.

Another of my son's projects might also interest you, PVC tubing crossbows. Lot's of stuff out there on it. Oh, and most states have a printable PDF of their fishing regs. Be careful, they can vary from state to state and for fresh you need a license in that state. Sucks here, I rarely fish fresh because I'd need a license in NJ, NY, PA, and VT. Sprung for it on family canoe/kayak camping trip in the Adirondacks in August. The kid and I fed the family for 3 meals with bass. Deep fried bass fritters coated in pancake batter for breakfast can't be beat!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:38 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm
I get it than anything with dad is great, but you get me that it's about as useful as a gun carved from soap. Do you watch Forged in Fire? Sometimes they make the competitors choose metal from a pile of scrap, some know what's made of high carbon and other don't. One show a guy made a blade from low carbon but got through the round because enough of the others fucked up badly.

Another of my son's projects might also interest you, PVC tubing crossbows. Lot's of stuff out there on it. Oh, and most states have a printable PDF of their fishing regs. Be careful, they can vary from state to state and for fresh you need a license in that state. Sucks here, I rarely fish fresh because I'd need a license in NJ, NY, PA, and VT. Sprung for it on family canoe/kayak camping trip in the Adirondacks in August. The kid and I fed the family for 3 meals with bass. Deep fried bass fritters coated in pancake batter for breakfast can't be beat!

I have seen a few episodes, and its pretty interesting to see how creative those guys can get. Seems like keeping the blade attached to handle is one of the main Achilles' heel of those knives.

How does the pvc crossbow work? Does it sit the bolt in the pipe and then use a spring or tense rope to fire? Is he going to attempt any hunting with it?

I have never been a good fisherman, but one of my buddies owns a boat and has been trying to get me to go with him. There are quite a few springs near my house and some state parks. When I string a few off days together I am going to go camping again. Haven't gone in over 5-6 years.
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:46 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:38 pm
How does the pvc crossbow work? Does it sit the bolt in the pipe and then use a spring or tense rope to fire? Is he going to attempt any hunting with it?

I have never been a good fisherman, but one of my buddies owns a boat and has been trying to get me to go with him. There are quite a few springs near my house and some state parks. When I string a few off days together I am going to go camping again. Haven't gone in over 5-6 years.
The PVC is the spring, the stock is wood. Go fishing, do you some good. Sure clears my head, I try and get out in the kayak once a week, brought home a pile of porgy on Thursday.