Wilderness Survival

heydaralon

Re: Wilderness Survival

Post by heydaralon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:27 am

Found some yucca wood in my yard. It is supposed to be great for fire making drills because it is dry and has a very low temperature point for combustion compared to other woods like pine which are full of sap and hard to start. I should have more than enough for this experiment. We will see how it goes.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 am

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 am
Hastur wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:06 am
I like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/recall5811/videos

He doesn't complicate things. Just good advise on the basic stuff. You can tell he's got a ton of experience.
Yeah, it took me a minute to confirm that was the guy I watched make a cast bronze frying pan a couple years ago. Found this great video on his page that should fit what HD is working toward.

One of the underlying things that no one talks about with this bushcraft stuff is that you need to be good with your hands and you need to be able to use some very basic tools really well, and for extended periods. Knife, Hatchet, Cordage. You are just required to use that stuff all the time.

There are bushcrafters who are purists and only go out with a knife and the clothes they are wearing.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:23 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 am
C-Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 am
Hastur wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:06 am
I like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/recall5811/videos

He doesn't complicate things. Just good advise on the basic stuff. You can tell he's got a ton of experience.
Yeah, it took me a minute to confirm that was the guy I watched make a cast bronze frying pan a couple years ago. Found this great video on his page that should fit what HD is working toward.

One of the underlying things that no one talks about with this bushcraft stuff is that you need to be good with your hands and you need to be able to use some very basic tools really well, and for extended periods. Knife, Hatchet, Cordage. You are just required to use that stuff all the time.

There are bushcrafters who are purists and only go out with a knife and the clothes they are wearing.
You want it at a level where you feel you could be there and fit in.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Ray Mears is good for information on building fires.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 pm

The good, the true, & the beautiful

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Ron Hood had a whole video serious on this. Nothing overly complicated. Start out with the basic rule of 3's

http://www.survival.com/

Then there are these guys. They are fun to watch.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Lol this drill sucks. I have tried two types of wood, and it will not even get hot. I am not using wood with sap, and I made sure it was dried out and not full of moisture. I might be better off using lumber to start this off. In a real life situation, scavengers would already be picking my bones clean...
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:43 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:37 pm

There are some squirrels in my backyard. Should I shoot them and eat them and make a hat of their pelts? Is a hollow point 9 a good squirrel round or nah?

This tucker is digging holes..... wtf

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Holy shit guys. I was just minding my business in the backyard and out of nowhere this squirrel started violently hopping in my direction. I asked it to stop but he kept coming so I had to draw my forearm and gun it down in self defense. I guess I should try and eat it now. I kind of feel bad about it but it probably had rabies and this is the wild. I cant take any chances out here.