Wilderness Survival

heydaralon

Wilderness Survival

Post by heydaralon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 pm

I have been watching numerous survivalist videos on youtube. There are some great ones in America and Canada. I used to go camping/backpacking/canoeing (was fun as shit) with the boy scouts when I was in middle/high school and we did some survival stuff, but nothing on par with these dudes. I am not going to smash my phone abandon my car at the edge of the woods, and go off the grid, but I want to start doing some of this stuff, to see if I can. I am going to start small and attempt some basic fire starting techniques. I can practice making drills and stuff in my yard. The trouble is, I can't seem to find consistent or good information about the rules in my area. I don't have hundreds of acres of wilderness to practice on, so I would have to do this on public land, which means that I can't fuck around and do whatever I want. Florida has many state parks, but I can't find a centralized info site on where it is acceptable to start fires, or gather wood, or what you can fish at what time of the year etc. I have never hunted, so that would be a project for the very distant future, assuming I can master some of this very basic and simple stuff. To all the hunters DIY people on here, is there a good online resource for this information? I did find a survivalist group in my area, but after some research they might be preppers. I am debating trying to contact them and learn more (hopefully I don't end up on some drone strike/govt watchlist).
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Re: Wilderness Survival

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm

You should be able to pull up any state park on google and visit their specific website. It will tell you all the information regarding burning/collecting fuel and the hunting seasons. As far as hunting goes there should be a website for your state that explains everything and really the best resource I found on fishing regs are the pamphlets they usually sell at sporting goods that help you identify fish. You're going to want one for saltwater fishing for sure if you dont already know all about the local fish. The tag limits are usually on your fishing license iirc.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 pm

You have to stop being a pussy and hitchhike your way up into North Alaska to figure out how to survive through immersion. Do you learn Spanish by playing a game on your phone or by going to Mexico and having to figure out how to order a prostitute in the local language?

Go into the Alaskan wilderness, my friend.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 pm

I learned Mexican by getting a job

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:17 pm

That works too, but those cholos aren't going to be as fun as a real prostitute.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Everyone on here knows about primitive technology yt channel, but there are some other great channels that deal with this. The Wooded Beardsman is excellent. This Canadian dude is cooking skunks, hares, beavers, racoons, and possums, and straight up sucking their brains out of their skulls. It is gnarly as fuck. Another dude I have been watching is Bob Hansler who lives near the San Antonio River in Texas. This dude catches 100 lb alligator gar fish, shoots javelinas, cooks rattlesnakes, and eats hot ass wild peppers and mulberries. Real ass nigga for sure. When you watch these vids, it is inspiring. In some cases it took these dudes years or even decades to get to where they are, but I want to at least get a taste of some of this stuff. Camping is fun. I don't know why I stopped. I've only caught brim and some small crabs, but I want to take up fishing too. Cool skills to learn.

I often watch a youtube channel called fisherman's life. This dude catches fish in Cali, brings a portable stove and some butter, seasoning, and avacado, and cooks his lunch on the beach. Badass as fuck. Most of youtube is HIV positive brain destroying bile, but these survival/self-sufficiency channels are amazing. I want to stop living vicariously through these dudes and trying this shit out myself.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm

racoons, and possums, and straight up sucking their brains out of their skulls
Yeah dont do that tho

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm
You should be able to pull up any state park on google and visit their specific website. It will tell you all the information regarding burning/collecting fuel and the hunting seasons. As far as hunting goes there should be a website for your state that explains everything and really the best resource I found on fishing regs are the pamphlets they usually sell at sporting goods that help you identify fish. You're going to want one for saltwater fishing for sure if you dont already know all about the local fish. The tag limits are usually on your fishing license iirc.
There is a bass pro shops near my house. Do you think they'd have pamphlets there?
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Yeah. I got mine from HEB, a grocery store. Doesnt sound like much but trying to google wtf you just caught doesnt work. You end up best guessing. With a picture pamphlet of the local salt water and fresh water fishes you are going to know right away.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm
racoons, and possums, and straight up sucking their brains out of their skulls
Yeah dont do that tho
This dude doesn't care about prions. He has eaten some crazy shit, including a black bear. These are among the best youtube videos of all time real talk. Check out his channel. I'm serious. Not all Canadians are Trudeau Trannies. Some of them are doing cool shit in the woods. Watch his shit, and be inspired. Tomorrow after work, I am going to make a fire drill and test it in my backyard. I am blowing off this stupid anniversary bullshit with my soon to be ex girlfriend because I would rather watch nature videos then listen to her run her stupid fucking mouth about retarded social media faggotry and made up facebook food holidays like national burrito day (bitch get a gym membership and stop celebrating food holidays that are not real). I'm going to make a cool ass fire in my backyard and perhaps experiment with making some sort of beta type wilderness shelter using palm fronds and various sticks I can find. It will be epic.
Shikata ga nai