Film and TV catering

Montegriffo

Re: Film and TV catering

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Lancasters sound great though. There's only one still flying and about 20 years ago I used to do a folk festival right next to its home airfield in Lincolnshire. Every year it would fly low over us on its way to an airshow.
So loud, you could hear it long before you saw it. I can't imagine what a thousand bomber raid would have sounded like.

The Russian Yak 3 came out of its hanger for a short flight today. It's a V12 but it doesn't have the same roar as the Merlin.
I've got to go back tomorrow to pick up my kitchen. If I remember I'll take pics of some of the cold war era jets littered about the airfield so you can identify them for me.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm

If I win a billion dollars on Tuesday, and if it's economically feasible to even rebuild or fabricate a new Lancaster, we will fly the Lancaster and PBY over the English countryside.

Lancasters sound amazing as fuck too.

Wikipedia says there are only 14 of them left. There is no fucking way the British government would let you own one, much less fly it.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm
If I win a billion dollars on Tuesday, and if it's economically feasible to even rebuild or fabricate a new Lancaster, we will fly the Lancaster and PBY over the English countryside.

Wikipedia says there are only 14 of them left. There is no fucking way the British government would let you own one, much less fly it.
Only 2 still flying. If you could buy one of the other 12 and had the money you could get it in the air.
Might be cheaper to build a new one though.
The government doesn't stop people owning private Spitfires so I don't see why you couldn't own a Lancaster.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Fuck the Lancaster, spend your billion dollar win on the last flying Sunderland and take us all on a world cruise.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Only 2 still flying. If you could buy one of the other 12 and had the money you could get it in the air.
Might be cheaper to build a new one though.
The government doesn't stop people owning private Spitfires so I don't see why you couldn't own a Lancaster.
If there are only 14 and only 2 of those are still flyable, then I wouldn't dare risk it. Those are national treasures now.

We could still for shizzle have WW2 tank battles, though. Just install electronic ranging systems on the guns to simulate firing and network them all so you can see who gets hit and estimate the damage. I'd take the Soviet tank in honor of Flipowitz. I guess Nuke could have the Panzer.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:56 pm

I found the Bentwaters Cold War Museum website, there's a few pics here.

https://www.bcwm.org.uk/museum-aircraft/

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:15 pm
The one I liked best was a documentary called Hiroshima.
We spent a couple of weeks at the Duxford Imperial war museum. They were shooting the Enola Gay cockpit scenes in the B17 they have in the USAAF hangar which was closed to the public. Everyday I got to walk under an SR-71 Blackbird and could wander around the planes when I had time. They give rides in two seater Spitfires there so we got to watch them take off and land several times a day.
They also used HMS Belfast as a US navy ship and Lincoln castle as a jail. We ended up in Norfolk at a WWII vehicle collection to film the last few bits.
Was a good documentary when I got around to watching it.

It's a good day at work when you get to walk under one of these to get to a B17.

The guy I'm working with has been doing it for nearly 40 years. He's worked on some great ones.
Full metal jacket
Out of India
Gorillas in the mist

Got great stories about Kubrick or Anthony Hopkins or a thousand others.
He was telling me yesterday about a drunken Helen Mirrim trying to pull him at a wrap party.
I'm encouraging him to write a book. Am getting him together with a writer I know to see if she'll ghost write it for him.
That is awesome! You should get some royalties once the book is written, especially if it was your brainchild. I have never watched Hiroshima, but I love those aeorspace museums.

For WW2 planes, I'd have to go with the P38 as my favorite. A lot of folks think its ugly, but I think it looks awesome. I like the Warthog as well, and most people have the same asethetic opinion

That photo was taken during the Doolittle raid.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:46 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:15 pm
They were shooting the Enola Gay cockpit scenes in the B17
Are you Sure ?
Was Enola Gay a B29 Super Fortress? :oops:
A B17 cockpit cannot be mistaken for a B29 cockpit................. Further, B29 did not serve in the European Theater, just Pacific.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:12 am

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 pm

For WW2 planes, I'd have to go with the P38 as my favorite. A lot of folks think its ugly, but I think it looks awesome. I like the Warthog as well, and most people have the same asethetic opinion

That photo was taken during the Doolittle raid.
Reminds me of the Black Widow model I had as a kid.