Film and TV catering

Montegriffo

Film and TV catering

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 pm

I've not done one of these TV/film jobs since ''the detectorists'' about 3 years ago.
I'd forgotten how much hard work they are. Been getting up at 4.30 and not getting home till about 6pm.
On the plus side there is some hot totty here. The leading actress reminds me of Lara Croft and is really cute.
Speaker would have the hots for the leading actor, he's an ex-WWE wrestler and bare knuckle boxer Wade Barret who is 6'7'' and extremely well built.
Vinny Jones is the baddie but he's not in till Monday.
Being an action movie there is a large selection of weapons including dozens of replica firearms (locked in a cage inside a specially secured van).
Good money for me too, hoping to make a profit of around $5k for 20 days work.

Three weeks after this one finishes we have another one starting in Norfolk but it is only 12 days work. Second half of November is going to be bitterly cold so I'm glad it's a short one.

Film jobs are like buses, nothing for ages then two turn up at once.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Ex-California

Re: Film and TV catering

Post by Ex-California » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:35 am

Hopefully you're feeding the crew better than some of the places I've been to.

NASCAR meals were the best, followed by college football. NFL stadium meals are all just your standard corporate catering affair, MLB meals varied wildly between barely edible to amazing (White Sox)
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:20 am

This is a low budget movie so they are not getting the more expensive cuts of meat but I can still give them good food using the cheaper stuff such as pork loin, chicken, minced beef etc.
The orange lipstick wearing, gender confused, vegan make up guy said my stew and dumplings yesterday was the best food he had ever eaten.
Had about 8 guys take the time to compliment me on the beef and Guiness as well so I think I'm doing OK.
At the end of the day if you have a bit of pride in your work you can still make good food on a budget.

Things have changed a lot since my first job in this field back in 2000.
Digitalisation of the kit and less money in the pot has reduced the average film crew from around 80 down to 40.
There are only about half a dozen actors per day on this one too.
The first job I had doing this was a TV detective program and the rate for that job was exactly the same as this one. You can imagine how much costs have risen in the last 18 years. Back then we could use things like duck breast, steaks, lamb shanks and all sorts of fish. If we were still using those ingredients we would make no money at all.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am

Not that well built, actually. Most of that is fat. Chest is underdeveloped compared to arms. Looks like an average gym bro.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:40 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am
Not that well built, actually. Most of that is fat. Chest is underdeveloped compared to arms. Looks like an average gym bro.
He was a bare knuckle champion and WWE wrestler so maybe he developed his muscles for fighting rather than posing in front of the gay guys down at the gym?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:43 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:40 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am
He was a bare knuckle champion and WWE wrestler so maybe he developed his muscles for fighting rather than posing in front of the gay guys down at the gym?
I am sure he is a great fighter. Just not my type.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:54 am

Managed to find the trailer for the first Vengeance film.

Tag line ''butt kicking bonanza'' :lol:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:20 am

The orange lipstick wearing, gender confused, vegan make up guy said my stew and dumplings yesterday was the best food he had ever eaten.
Had about 8 guys take the time to compliment me on the beef and Guiness as well so I think I'm doing OK.
At the end of the day if you have a bit of pride in your work you can still make good food on a budget.
Good work Bro.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 am

Vinnie Jones (the film's baddie) was in today. Former Chelsea footballer and hardman actor in films such as Lock, stock and two smoking barrels and Snatch.
Surprise surprise the millionaire, spoilt brat, footballer turned out to be a miserable prima donna demanding special treatment and eating by himself rather than sitting with the rest of the crew.
Maybe he was just having a bad day. I should give him the benefit of the doubt really.
The leading actor Stu Bennet (wrestling name Wade Barret) on the other hand is a real sweetheart. Joins the queue for food and eats with the rest of the guys, easy to approach and undemanding.
Looking forward to watching the film and seeing him kick Vinnies arse...

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Lucky I gave Vinnie the benefit of the doubt. Turns out once the jet lag from flying in from LA overnight wears off he's a lot more friendly.
He was complementary about my lasagne today so I can forgive him for being such a grumpy git yesterday.